The Student Room Group

Coping with anxiety over family members health,, previous bereavements

HI,
Essentially the above how do people cope with the anxiety when they see their family members perhaps detoriate? How do you cope during bereavement anniversary??

I'm asking essentially because my anxiety is really hjigh at the moment with my grandad having a second lot of eye operation, and I'm pretty scared because his sufferer quite a few complications from the first one and i do think since then his health is not the same. I know i shouldn't say this but my mind is constantly in overdrive and worrying maybe thinking things i shouldn't and worrying over that. But i guess I've known of brreabemts recently where they've just ****ed away all of a sudden and whole not close it's fueling the anxiety. It's also a close family members bereavement anniversary to which we never got to say bye to covid and unexpected and that's not helping either

All this anxiety is impacting on my work attitude i still go in but in not with it as and lately just crying in toilers. Taking time off isn't an option due to already having attendance probs. I want to be able to go work but i hate having to put the fake cover.
I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a difficult time with your grandad's health and the bereavement anniversary of your family member. Coping with anxiety and grief can be challenging, but there are some strategies that may help you manage your emotions and cope with these difficult experiences.

First, it can be helpful to talk to someone about how you're feeling. This might be a close friend, family member, or a mental health professional. Sometimes just expressing your feelings can help to alleviate some of the anxiety and stress you may be feeling.

Another strategy is to try to take care of yourself physically. This includes getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet, and engaging in physical activity. Exercise can be especially helpful for managing anxiety, as it releases endorphins which can improve your mood and reduce stress.

Mindfulness and relaxation techniques can also be useful in managing anxiety. This might include deep breathing exercises, progressive muscle relaxation, or guided imagery. These techniques can help to calm your mind and reduce physical symptoms of anxiety, such as rapid heart rate and shortness of breath.

Finally, it's important to give yourself time and space to grieve. This might include setting aside time each day to reflect on your feelings, or engaging in a meaningful ritual to remember your loved one. It's also okay to seek support from others, such as a support group or a grief counselor.

Remember that everyone copes with anxiety and grief differently, so it's important to find what works best for you. Don't be afraid to reach out for help if you need it, and take care of yourself during this difficult time.
I think you need to just relax yourself by getting out with your friends with some natural green place and get breath fresh air...
hiya both

Thank you for your replies. I guess I'll probably just need to calm down and try not to stress too much bit in struggling to do so. I'm carrying on with like going for a walk etc and maintaining routines etc bit it's difficult. Work is a constant battle at moment and doesn't help when you feel the need to fake a smile.
It's hard to get to terms with not seeing people you are potentially close to

Quick Reply

Latest