The Student Room Group

Is it socially acceptable for a guy to talk to a girl in the gym?

Sorry if this sounds stupid but I want to get other peoples opinion on this before I potentially make myself look stupid or worse

Is it socially acceptable especially these days for guys to talk to girls at the gym in the context of dating etc?

I know a lot of people girls included just go to the gym to work out and don't want to bother with that, but it seems like a social environment as a lot of people seem to meet friends etc there so just thought it would be a good opportunity but don't want to be a creep. Every time I've seen a girl I find attractive or an opportunnity to talk comes up, I back out because I feel they'll either a) have a boyfriend b) thinks its weird etc. For context I'm a 20 year old guy who only really gets out to the gym, I'm starting uni in like september but I don't really have much social interaction. also i don't know if it helps but i'm also autistic so I know i'm more likely to probably do something socially inept/unacceptable etc inadvertantly.

I know every girl is different but wondered if there is consensus on this.

Thanks!
well youre 20, so not a dirty old guy which probs helps ur case - but maybe become friends with someone b4 u ask them on a date, get to know them i guess - and whatever u do dont harass girls - if they move on or like say no or hint they dont wnat to talk just like dont keep at it because they probbly wwont ever dat eyou ol sorry my typing is atrocious apologies lol
Reply 2
Although you’ll see people you’re attracted to, its not a classic dating environment so you need to be cautious not to be inappropriate or creepy. Avoid speaking to people when they’re working out or it’s clear from body language that they don’t want to interact. A smile or an opening remark in the corridor or between sets, with someone who could conceivably be interested in you, to judge interest could be fine
Reply 3
You don't sound stupid. It's a good question. I can't speak for all women but I wouldn't mind if a guy approaches me at the gym as long as I'm done with my set or entire workout. I would be more likely to tell him no if he makes me pause my workout just to ask me out.

Also, if there's a lady you're interested in, don't stare too long at her even if you have no ill intention. Staring immediately makes people wary. Keep your eyes on your workout. If she doesn't seem interested, just tell her to have a nice day and know that at least, you tried. I would suggest building up to it. Start off with small interactions every other day; then, ask her out. By that point, she would have had some time to learn a little bit about your character and is less likely to assume you're being creepy.
Talking to a woman is fine. Hitting on her will just come across as creepy.
Nah. Focus less on that booty and more on that duty.
Reply 6
I know a couple who met eachother at the gym. I think that's a good place to meet someone and it shows that you have something in common/ same life style. But, read the room. Some girls don't mind, some girls do.
I am a woman, and if you want advice, do it just don't be creepy.
Make sure you start the convo with something like "Hey I'm (y/n) I wanted to ask( ask a simple question that can be answered) Then ask maybe for her number? then slowly start becoming friends with her until you can become something more!!
Hope that helps!
Sincerely,
HelpfulThursdayGirl

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending