The Student Room Group

I don't know wether to drop out of uni

Applying to uni was a faff in itself, the course I'm on now was the 3rd course I applied to after changing my mind of previous courses twice, so I'm kind of at Uni on a whim, stupid I know, but I felt like if I didn't go to uni that I would of been left behind and stuck working my awful payed part time job forever.

Now, I'm coming to the end of first year, and I'm debating wether I want to be at uni anymore. I don't hate my course, but I also don't love it, I don't find it overly interesting and feel like I'm just here for the sake of it.

I haven't made any valuable friends in Uni so far, not really friends with the people I live with in accommodation either, which is why I am living at home next year as I live close to uni. First year hasn't gone how I expected it to at all really, its made out to be the best years of your life were you'll meet your best friends, but its not that for me at all. Hence why I'm considering dropping out all together. Does anyone have any opinions or advice?
Hi,
I'm really sorry to hear your experience hasn't been what you hoped or expected it would be. If you really aren't enjoying it or think you would be happier elsewhere then absolutely dropping out is always an option - uni isn't for everyone and if it's taken you a year to figure that out then that's also fine, it doesn't mean your entire experience was a waste as you have probably learnt some valuable things from it!
Just some things to consider before you do make that move: have you joined any clubs or societies? These really can make your experience, give you another purpose, and provide a bit of respite from all the academic work! I would really recommend trying a few different ones out and giving yourself a bit of time to find one you might really enjoy - it could be something super different to anything you've ever done before but might allow you to meet a bunch of new people and gain some new skills. Do you know of any other extra-curricular activities you might enjoy? I know at the University of Southampton for example we have student internship opportunities, as well as the student ambassador schemes - this has played a massive part in my experience and has been so much more fun than any other job I could have done and has allowed me to meet so many other students and learn about how the University works.
I know there is a lot of pressure to go to uni and to make it the time of your life but in reality it can be lonely and boring sometimes. If you genuinely think it won't get better then there is no shame in moving onto the next thing for you - absolutely put yourself first! But if there is anything you might be able to branch out to in order to make your experience more enjoyable then I would really recommend giving these things a go :smile:
Hope this helps!

Abbie
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending