The Student Room Group

Please help - uni choices

Hi,
Im really struggling to decide between Exeter and durham. I really like Exeter campus, and the "vibe" there, but I'm worried about whether turning down an offer from a more prestigious (durham) could harm my future?
Additionally, I am trying to switch courses at durham, but if they don't let me, I think the exeter course would be better. That said, i could change course once I get there. I also don't like the fact (and this was sort of backed up by durham students on the open days) that a lot of people there are bitter about being rejected from oxbridge. I don't want to be surrounded by people constantly whinging about oxbridge.
Which is more prestigious? If I applied to do a masters/PhD at another uni after, would they look more favourably on a degree from Exeter or durham?

Basically I'm just very confused about which uni and degree, any advice/viewpoints on either uni would be gratefully received.
Reply 1
Hi there,

IMO, Durham is more prestigious than Exeter in terms of reputation and rankings. Durham is 6th whereas Exeter is 19th.
If you are going to university based off job prospects, rankings and can ignore the moaning about not getting into oxbridge then go with Durham.
If you want something that will give you a nice experience, good job prospects and decent ranking then go with Exeter.
Either way they are both really good Russell group university so you won't be missing out on anything if you choose one over the other.
Exeter has a reputation of being where the Bristol rejects go.

Point: reputations are just that, reputations. No one is whingeing and no one really cares when they get there. Just pick which you prefer. Durham is considered more "prestigious", yes, but both are good universities.
Hiya, I’m a current student at Durham. And from my experience people ask if you were an Oxbridge reject just in freshers and after it no one really cares
Original post by XanaXoid
Hiya, I’m a current student at Durham. And from my experience people ask if you were an Oxbridge reject just in freshers and after it no one really cares

Hey, I'm also really worried about the number of shared rooms, and about 2nd year accommodation - do you have any experience of this?
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Hey, I'm also really worried about the number of shared rooms, and about 2nd year accommodation - do you have any experience of this?

Hiya, in first year I was sharing a room and it was more than fine. Me and my roommate were friends but not best friends and even if we were two completely opposite people we managed to make it work without any sort of problem. I do believe that is important to establish some rules.
Now during my second year I’m living out and unfortunately places are getting really expensive. Also in Durham you have to sign the house really early and so you might end up living with people that you are not really friends with. I know few people were able to swap house but even if you are not close friends with your housemates, if everyone is respectful everything is going to be fine.
I'd say always go for the place you think you'll have the better experience and where the course suits you better. Rankings matter in some contexts but fundamentally the best uni is the one that's best for you. You'll be at this place and studying this course day-in-day-out for 3+ years so don't pick somewhere you'll be less happy for the sake of a few extra points on a rankings list.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending