The Student Room Group

Rejected by my dream university after ticking all the boxes

Is It possible to go to university and speak to an admission officer without an appointment? I got rejected from my course I wanted to study in university. It's a long story, I wanted to ask for some advice and to clarify a few things that I didn't put in my application. If I go will I be seen? What is the best way to approach them without being told to leave

Scroll to see replies

Original post by martial-miscarri
Is It possible to go to university and speak to an admission officer without an appointment? I got rejected from my course I wanted to study in university. It's a long story, I wanted to ask for some advice and to clarify a few things that I didn't put in my application. If I go will I be seen? What is the best way to approach them without being told to leave

The same happened to me and sadly nothing I said could change the situation 😔 there’s the possibility of Clearing, waiting until next year, or just find a new dream university! What uni/course was it?
(edited 1 year ago)

Sorry about your rejection. I don't think you can do that. In all likelihood, you would be turned away. Besides, the course selectors are academic staff and don't sit in admissions dept. They may be teaching or may even be off-site. You would also want to avoid security staff called on your visit.

If you are very sure this is the university you want to try again, take a gap year and during your gap year get relevant and meaningful work, and re-apply with achieved grades. The very best thing to do is to do really well in your exams (assuming you are Y13).

Being eligible for an offer doesn't mean you'll get it for sure, unfortunately :frown: If you feel like there might have been a mistake in your decision, you could appeal by writing a mail or sending a message through a uni portal (if the uni you applied to has one) and explain your situation to them. As BubblesBB says, admissions are very busy during this time, so I don't think just walking in and asking to be seen would be possible.
They said that it was the "Predicted or Achieved grades" not being as strong as other appliancts I think they mean GCSE grades as I was predicted the highest D*,D*,A, but they were extenuating circumstances dealing with things at home and my GCSE's were covid grades. I was going to email them or phone them but I think because they receive dozens of calls/emails every time it will make me stand out if I talk to them face to face. It's been nearly 2 weeks now and I cannot get over them rejecting me, they invited me to submit a second personal statement which gave me the glimmer of hope, I have waited 7 months, checking the UCAS portal Day and Night for an offer to come through as I was so obsessed with this university, the only thing that kept me motivated to work hard thoroughout the year and in the end they give me a rejection. This uni was my only hope of being able to achieve something in life and for life to get better for me but now my chances have been crushed by them :frown:. Haven't done any revision since cause it's all over for me unless a miracle happens where they can U-turn their desicion. This opportunity would have changed my life forever
(edited 1 year ago)
(Original post by Xevud)The same happened to me and sadly nothing I said could change the situation 😔 there’s the possibility of Clearing, waiting until next year, or just find a new dream university! What uni/course was it?

Computer Systems enigneering. This was the only course in the UK at that uni that had modules specific to what I want to go into, my only hope of achieving something in life and not letting my past define me and now it's completely over

(Original post by Xevud)The same happened to me and sadly nothing I said could change the situation 😔 there’s the possibility of Clearing, waiting until next year, or just find a new dream university! What uni/course was it?

Computer Systems enigneering. This was the only course in the UK at that uni that had modules specific to what I want to go into, my only hope of achieving something in life and not letting my past define me and now it's completely over

No it's not possible to turn up at a University and speak to an Admissions officer. There is a team of them to start with.

Degrees are more the same than they are different, so there will be lots of other courses with similar modules and options at some point in the degree programme.

Unfortunately everyone had covid grades, move on and look for the positives in the courses you do get an offer for.

The only thing stopping you from achieving something in life and not letting your past define you is YOU! Honestly this is not the only pathway. Use your energy to find a new option, and excel at your exams. If you don’t do that then no you won’t achieve something in life.

Remember you are on a journey, and that journey will have all sorts of twists and turns. The only thing that will prevent your journey is you stopping.

It's only over if you regard it like that! I can't believe there are not similar courses which will help you move forward. Opt for a year in industry and you'll be fine ...
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
It would be totally inappropriate to do this. You could write for some advice about reapplying perhaps.
I’ve had to turn away people who have tried to drop in unannounced. It’s not appropriate to put admissions staff in that position, (unsuccessful applicants could become abusive or aggressive).

Realistically your options are to try and arrange a phone or video appointment to see if you can get some more detailed feedback. If it’s purely academics then you’ve little choice than to take another qualification or change destination plans. You can also keep an eye for places in clearing but if they’re being strict now with conditional offers then they probably have limited numbers and it’s unlikely.

I’d focus on smashing your current quals and then regrouping. It may feel like the end of world but there’s still a lot to aim for if you remain motivated.
They said that it was the "Predicted or Achieved grades" not being as strong as other appliancts I think they mean GCSE grades as I was predicted the highest D*,D*,A, but they were extenuating circumstances dealing with things at home and my GCSE's were covid grades. I was going to email them or phone them but I think because they receive dozens of calls/emails every time it will make me stand out if I talk to them face to face. It's been nearly 2 weeks now and I cannot get over them rejecting me, they invited me to submit a second personal statement which gave me the glimmer of hope, I have waited 7 months, checking the UCAS portal Day and Night for an offer to come through as I was so obsessed with this university, the only thing that kept me motivated to work hard thoroughout the year and in the end they give me a rejection. This uni was my only hope of being able to achieve something in life and for life to get better for me but now my chances have been crushed by them :frown:. Haven't done any revision since cause it's all over for me unless a miracle happens where they can U-turn their desicion. This opportunity would have changed my life forever

What uni was it because I also got invited to write a second personal statement ?
Original post by Ridhi28
What uni was it because I also got invited to write a second personal statement ?

Ruined my life
I don't understand why on earth they invited me to submit a second personal statment in the first place if my "predicted/achieved grades were not as strong as other applicants". It also confuses me that they are other students I know of who did 3 BTEC qualifications and got bare average at GCSE, even lower than me but they still got given the offer, I assume it was the second personal statement? I will try to arrange a phone call with them soon and discuss this. It's a real shame as these GCSE grades are 100% not a reflection of my capabilities! Hope I can explain to them what has actually been going on + evidence. It was a huge shock and disappointment to me and family, even all my teachers were shocked as I had a very strong reference and personal statement, they told me it was one of the strongest applications they have looked at. Just horrible
(edited 1 year ago)
Warwick

Which modules specifically are you interested in?

I've looked at Computer Systems Engineering, and it's just an average computer science and electronic engineering joint honours degree, but called something different. There's nothing special at Warwick than other typical university that offers that course.
Original post by Baleroc
Which modules specifically are you interested in?

I've looked at Computer Systems Engineering, and it's just an average computer science and electronic engineering joint honours degree, but called something different. There's nothing special at Warwick than other typical university that offers that course.

I mean Cyber Security Bsc specfically. This is a very niche course, and they is the one of the ONLY uni that offers those modules such as risk management and architecture etc and the graduate prospects; no other uni will land me my dream job
(edited 1 year ago)
I mean Cyber Security Bsc specfically. This is a very niche course, and warwick is the one of the ONLY uni that offers those modules such as risk management and architecture etc and the graduate prospects; no other uni will land me my dream job

What was the Computer Systems Engineering course that you mentioned earlier? Weren't that what you wanted?
Original post by Baleroc
What was the Computer Systems Engineering course that you mentioned earlier? Weren't that what you wanted?

Cyber Security Bsc is part of Computer Systems Engineering
Reply 18
Wow, steady on, take a big breath and step back here, it really isn't the end of the world. In life, You don't always get dealt the cards you want and it all happens for a reason. Its how you deal with these situations that counts.

1. Their loss. It's not a case of you not being good enough, its simply a case of with so many applications, other applications got ranked slightly ahead of yours, OK so not what you initially wanted and clearly you are not someone that takes rejection well BUT there is a whole world of opportunity out there, you don't know what you don't know, but i absolutely guarantee there is a better option for you or a course that you join that turns out to be an amazing experience and a better option.

2. Don't give up on current study just because of Warwick. Good grief, not knocking Warwick but it really isn't that great, there are loads of University places out there for cyber security degrees, Just look at:-
https://edurank.org/cs/cybersecurity/gb/
BUT work hard at your current study, nobody likes a quitter and these exams now will set you up on your next course whichever path you now go down.

3. Look for other University options and apply on UCAS Extra and if you still don't get any offers you like back or nothing else jumps out, clearing opens in July and you can review options then so stop worrying and stop beating yourself up about Warwick. You will do better than Warwick.

You wont care about this BUT my daughter got rejected by University of Bath and was devastated, her whole world fell in, she then applied to University of Bristol and got accepted there. She is doing amazing now with them in second year and absolutely loves it. Best decision ever made. If she had a time again, she wouldn't bother with Bath at all and would apply to Bristol first!!! - Sometimes things just work out differently and ultimately better, you see.

So, don't go banging on the door at Warwick admissions, no point and it wont change anything, its just total negative destructive energy, dust yourself down, you are better than that. Start to build good positive energy, think positive and look at the other options and apply. As i say i absolutely guarantee a better option awaits you, its meant to be.

Good Luck
I mean Cyber Security Bsc specfically. This is a very niche course, and warwick is the one of the ONLY uni that offers those modules such as risk management and architecture etc and the graduate prospects; no other uni will land me my dream job

I am so sorry to read this and you seemed to have talked yourself into a deadend, which must be very stressful.
What is your endgame here? If it is the dream job you mentioned then Warwick won't be the only route to it. As others have said, check out other cyber security degree courses and then fill any missing units with your own research/work experience/self teaching. Or do a more general computer science degree at somewhere like Bath who have an excellent work experience programme and can help organise very targetted experience that will count for more when looking for that dream job. Maybe take a gap year and help get some perpective back on what really matters (and maybe that is re applying to Warwick after you ahve your actual results).
Take care, this is a stressful year anyway, without adding more on yourself and beating yourself up over a course that probably couldn't live up to the dream you have raised it to, in reality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending