The Student Room Group

Salaries

I've always been told by my friends that I spend too much money on things like Uber and stuff, just because it is convenient. On average I spend like £200 a week on just uber eats and Uber and taxis.I dont really spend much money other than that maybe another £150 a week on other stuff. I live at uni but my fees are paid for by my parents and my parents bought me a flat near my uni and they pay for the bills,so i have no real expenses i have to pay. Together I only spend about £350 a week (Which is a lot less than my siblings spend) which is only a bit more than some of my friends as they pay like 150 for accommodation alone. Friends told me that the way I spend money is not achievable by most people who work on a full-time salary as they won't have £350 in disposable income a week.

Is this actually true?

I understand that most people have mortgages and bills which take up most of their salaries but I thought they would at least have a couple of hundred pounds left at the end of the week to spend on whatever they liked. So i came to ask whether this is actually true.

Scroll to see replies

lol must be nice havinh money -> i live at home work 3 jobs and spend 200-250 a month -> feel bad if i spend anymore than that. And that literally includes everything.
Reply 2
How much do you make from all 3 jobs if you dont mind me asking?
I tend to limit myself to £100 a week spending money and the rest goes into my savings accounts for motor expenses, holidays and festivals etc.
Reply 4
Will you care more about what you spend when it's your own money and not someone else's?

Why not learn how to cook and budget, starting now?
If you're going to spend a lot of money - why not spend it on a great experience or a lovely holiday rather than having greasy takeaway food delivered to you by a taxi firm?
Original post by lbj975310
I've always been told by my friends that I spend too much money on things like Uber and stuff, just because it is convenient. On average I spend like £200 a week on just uber eats and Uber and taxis.I dont really spend much money other than that maybe another £150 a week on other stuff. I live at uni but my fees are paid for by my parents and my parents bought me a flat near my uni and they pay for the bills,so i have no real expenses i have to pay. Together I only spend about £350 a week (Which is a lot less than my siblings spend) which is only a bit more than some of my friends as they pay like 150 for accommodation alone. Friends told me that the way I spend money is not achievable by most people who work on a full-time salary as they won't have £350 in disposable income a week.

Is this actually true?

I understand that most people have mortgages and bills which take up most of their salaries but I thought they would at least have a couple of hundred pounds left at the end of the week to spend on whatever they liked. So i came to ask whether this is actually true.

£200 a week on uber eats & taxis is a lot. I get ready-made Chefly meals delivered weekly which cost like £50 by themselves, about £2500 a year, which is already pricey for most people. Yours is like £10,000 a year - which is frankly insane. And I'm guessing it's mostly junk food anyway.

Ubers make a lot more sense when you split the cost with other people. Or for short journeys they can sometimes cost less than public transport.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Surnia
Will you care more about what you spend when it's your own money and not someone else's?

Why not learn how to cook and budget, starting now?

I tried it before but I ended up spending an unnecessary amount of time doing it and food from outside tastes better anyway.
Reply 8
Original post by Joinedup
If you're going to spend a lot of money - why not spend it on a great experience or a lovely holiday rather than having greasy takeaway food delivered to you by a taxi firm?

I normally go on like 1-2 holiday with friends a year and then I normally go with family a couple times and both times the whole expense is paid for by my family. But I get what you’re saying
Reply 9
Original post by NonIndigenous
£200 a week on uber eats & taxis is a lot. I get ready-made Chefly meals delivered weekly which cost like £50 by themselves, about £2500 a year, which is already pricey for most people. Yours is like £10,000 a year - which is frankly insane. And I'm guessing it's mostly junk food anyway.

Ubers make a lot more sense when you split the cost with other people. Or for short journeys they can sometimes cost less than public transport.

Is Chefly any good?
Because if it is then I’d acc consider it. Are there any other good brands out there that do halal meal replacement?
Reply 10

Do you work?
If you dont mind answering how much do you earn?
and how much do you have left at the end of each week or month after rents bills etc in disposable income ?
Is Chefly any good?
Because if it is then I’d acc consider it. Are there any other good brands out there that do halal meal replacement?

Yes, they are good, and even though they're not cheap they probably work out much better value for money than the take-aways you are getting.

There are other brands but I don't know them very well. I did a spend review recently & realised I'm probably overspending on my Chefly meals, but haven't looked for alternatives or tried them yet. I have no idea about whether they do halal or not.

Is this actually true?

Na buddy not even a couple of hundred remains to spend on myself especially when the increase of cost of living has risen up. Spending £10.00 a week 4 times a month equates to £40.00 a month. That £160.00 of your so called £200.00 spent on Uber Eats can be utilised productively and effectively elsewhere in the case of emergencies and savings. Especially the amount of money you make on top of that.
(edited 1 year ago)

Is this actually true?

Its not achievable for 90% of people and its a ridiculous amount but who cares, just be a trustfund kid. It's not like you're spending your own money anyway. If you get fulfilment from living off your parents just do it.
Do you work?
If you dont mind answering how much do you earn?
and how much do you have left at the end of each week or month after rents bills etc in disposable income ?

Not sure why you need this information? I work. I probably have about £1-2k a month disposable (it varies), but most of it goes into various 'investments'. Not counting holidays, I probably average £200 a month on going out (food, tickets, transport, drinks, and anything else). I avoid expensive places or hanging with people who spend irresponsibly or to 'show off' their money. I'm perfectly well entertained with going for a run (costs nothing), or taking a book to read in the park during the summer (also costs nothing). I also generally avoid 'casual dating'... because that costs a lot of people a heap of money, and most of those encounters are frankly shallow and pointless.

I am lucky in that I don't have to micromanage my own spending and tally things up on a spreadsheet to make sure I break-even each month, so I can't give exact figures off my head anyway without spending some time going through my statements. Instead I just try to generally make sure I'm not spending my money on stupid things with no ROI, because I usually just feel like a fool afterwards.

Just the idea of spending £2.5k on something like Chefly when there are likely better-value alternatives seems silly, or when I can just get organised on a Sunday afternoon & prepare my meals myself for the week ahead. It only takes me about 2-3 hours on a Sunday when I actually bother doing it, and I tend to listen to some audiobook in the background so it's more interesting.
(edited 1 year ago)
Then there's me criticising myself for spending just over £250 a month (includes the mass takeaways, going out, going to the convenience store etc).
Reply 16
Not sure why you need this information? I work. I probably have about £1-2k a month disposable (it varies), but most of it goes into various 'investments'. I am lucky in that I don't have to micromanage my own spending and tally things up on a spreadsheet to make sure I break-even each month, so I can't give exact figures off my head anyway without spending some time going through my statements. Instead I just try to generally make sure I'm not spending my money on stupid things with no ROI, because I usually just feel like a fool afterwards.

Just the idea of spending £2.5k on something like Chefly when there are likely better-value alternatives seems silly, or when I can just get organised on a Sunday afternoon & prepare my meals myself for the week ahead. It only takes me about 2-3 hours on a Sunday when I actually bother doing it, and I tend to listen to some audiobook in the background so it's more interesting.

I was asking how much you earn because in the original question i was asking about how much disposable income most people have. Thanks for the answer.
That is a frankly insane amount of money to be spending on a weekly basis on non-essential things, much less as a student.

To put in perspective - your current outgoings amount to £18,200 a year already, which is a full time minimum wage job. That doesn't even include rent or bills by all accounts, which most people do have to pay. If you paid a third of your income on rent (pretty common...) and that was your leftover, then you would need to be earning £27,575 a year to afford that - and that STILL doesn't include bills or any income tax etc.

You're living like someone earning ~ £40k+ a year (a very good starting graduate salary) at least, while having no income whatsoever apparently? I would urge you to very carefully think about what you are spending money on and whether that is sustainable - if suddenly your cash flow was cut off where would you be?

And to answer your question, even people earning that much likely aren't going to be spending that amount per week, because it would still be irresponsible, and they know it is much more pragmatic to save money where possible and spend money now and then on nice things for themselves, rather than just throwing money out the window constantly.
(edited 1 year ago)

Is this actually true?

£350 a week/£1400 month excluding rent is too much in my opinion (considering that your parents pay for all of the bills).

£200 a week on takeaway is a lot. Even eating at the university's canteen every day twice a day, 7 days a week would cost less (full-fledged hot meal btw), it would cost around £84-£91 for me (at least where i'm at).

Yeah, i'll have to agree with the friends here.
Reply 19
Original post by callphd
Its not achievable for 90% of people and its a ridiculous amount but who cares, just be a trustfund kid. It's not like you're spending your own money anyway. If you get fulfilment from living off your parents just do it.

I mean I run a recruitment company whilst at uni and averaged out over a whole year i make about £3-4K a month profit myself so whilst i am lucky in the sense my parents pay for things i dont just sit back and do nothing. The main reason my parents pay for my stuff is that they tell me to invest my money and try doing different things with it so that when im older ill have a better understanding of investing and dealing with money because thats something the education system doesnt teach.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending