The Student Room Group

Ridiculous problem that I should be able to deal with

My cousin (male, 8 months older than me [he's just turned 40]), lives in Paris and I haven't seen him for about, hmm, at least 8 years. He's absolutely my favourite cousin, we talk on messenger a lot despite my broken French and his broken English...

He just messaged me this evening to say his relationship has broken down and he wants to come on his own to the UK to visit us, in less than a fortnight's time.

Now he's been twice before since we've lived in this house (several times prior to me having had kids, but the situation was different then). The first time my kids were very young. He brought a previous girlfriend with him and they slept in our living room (using the sofa, and an air bed), but we quickly realised that was a terrible idea. Just far too many people in the house, and it became really awkward trying to tiptoe around them.

So when they came again a couple of years later, they thankfully stayed in a hotel.

But now he's coming on his own, he's implied that as it's just him, he's expecting us to put him up.
Now of course I want to see him, but there's just no way he can sleep here. We've already got 6 people in a three bedroomed house, five of which are studying from home every single day, and one of whom is diabled. It's just not feasible at all.

I just don't know quite how to tell him he's going to have to get a hotel without sounding like a jerk.

I realise this is a ridiculous problem, and at my age I should jolly well just be able to deal with this straightforwardly, but I don't want him thinking I'm fobbing him off, or that I'm being inhospitable.

I sort of feel as though he ought really to have offered to stay in a hotel in the first place so that I wouldn't now be in this predicament, but he's always been a little scatterbrained, and he has no kids of his own so I don't think he quite realises what a massive inconvenience a sudden random house-guest is for a family with four kids that already juggles with space. Plus I have no idea what his financial situation is like... what if he feels I'm being unreasonable because he can't afford a hotel?

Any ideas on how I can tactfully direct him to a hotel without seeming inhospitable?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
My cousin (male, 8 months older than me [he's just turned 40]), lives in Paris and I haven't seen him for about, hmm, at least 8 years. He's absolutely my favourite cousin, we talk on messenger a lot despite my broken French and his broken English...

He just messaged me this evening to say his relationship has broken down and he wants to come on his own to the UK to visit us, in less than a fortnight's time.

Now he's been twice before since we've lived in this house (several times prior to me having had kids, but the situation was different then). The first time my kids were very young. He brought a previous girlfriend with him and they slept in our living room (using the sofa, and an air bed), but we quickly realised that was a terrible idea. Just far too many people in the house, and it became really awkward trying to tiptoe around them.

So when they came again a couple of years later, they thankfully stayed in a hotel.

But now he's coming on his own, he's implied that as it's just him, he's expecting us to put him up.
Now of course I want to see him, but there's just no way he can sleep here. We've already got 6 people in a three bedroomed house, five of which are studying from home every single day, and one of whom is diabled. It's just not feasible at all.

I just don't know quite how to tell him he's going to have to get a hotel without sounding like a jerk.

I realise this is a ridiculous problem, and at my age I should jolly well just be able to deal with this straightforwardly, but I don't want him thinking I'm fobbing him off, or that I'm being inhospitable.

I sort of feel as though he ought really to have offered to stay in a hotel in the first place so that I wouldn't now be in this predicament, but he's always been a little scatterbrained, and he has no kids of his own so I don't think he quite realises what a massive inconvenience a sudden random house-guest is for a family with four kids that already juggles with space. Plus I have no idea what his financial situation is like... what if he feels I'm being unreasonable because he can't afford a hotel?

Any ideas on how I can tactfully direct him to a hotel without seeming inhospitable?

I know it's really awkward for you to tell him not to come. But there's no way out. You are bound to do that. Just directly inform him of the situation without a doubt. If he's a sensible person, he will definitely understand your points.

:console:
You could say something like 'we have a space issue at the moment, so you wouldnt be able to stay at ours, if you'd still like to come and we'd like to see you too, but you'd probably find it better in a local hotel [insert link to suggested local hotel]
(edited 1 year ago)

Haven't the children got exams coming up? Be sympathetic but tell him firmly what things are like ...

Is there a friend that could help you by putting him up cheaply or an Air BnB?
Just tell him to book his accomodation & return flights asap unless he's got a massive accomodation budget because tour packages, hotel and airbnb prices are all going through the roof due to huge tourist demand connected with the coronation.
He'll get the idea very quickly.
PRSOM @Muttley79 & @londonmyst & @Chronoscope

(and yep, exams are coming up @Muttley79 - Eldest has Year 12 mocks, second eldest has 2 I/GCSEs, second eldest has 1 IGCSE, and I have an exam myself.)

Okay so he came out and directly asked if he can sleep on the sofa. At which point I rang my parents to ask if either of them could put him up - both said no.
So I bit the bullet and told him it wasn't convenient, but at that point he told me his money is tight, so I felt like an absolutely horrible person.

However what's done is done. @Chronoscope I took your advice and directed him to the cheapest hotel I could find.
He sounded rather put out & said he'd think about it.

I feel like a jerk but there's not much I could have done :nope:
Reply 6
I think you should tell him not to come at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending