The Student Room Group

Funding for year abroard

Hi! I will be starting my uni course (History and German joint honours) next September. I probably don't have to worry about it just yet, but I would be comforted to have reassurance: For my year abroad (third year) will I recieve financial support from my uni, and if not then would it be more expensive than studying in English? (I'll be in Germany as an English student)

Thank you very much for your help in advance and Happy Easter!
(edited 1 year ago)
Is it as part of the programme with your current University? I believe your fees are paid directly to them as usual.

This is a few years ago now but my friend went to study abroad in his second year and managed to get an extra loan I think from SFE - no idea if that dispensation still exists to help with travel and such the university also offered scholarships which he succeeded in getting.

In order to be accepted at first I think he had to have £XXXX amount in the bank to prove he could afford to live there for the year, so family members all transferred cash in the bank account to pass.

No idea if this is still the case so apologies I can’t really give you concrete advice. Your contact at University for the programme will surely be able to give you all these details?
Reply 2
Thank you very much for your helpful anaswer. Yes, it is a part of the German side of my course - Spending my 3rd year abroad
(edited 1 year ago)
I went abroad last semester. I still got SFE, but reduced. You pay tuition fees still to your home uni, but this is reduced too. Your uni will probably help you find accommodation. There will be grants available from your uni though so if you qualify for any of them definitely apply for it. I also remember getting some funding from my uni nearer to the end of the semester abroad.
Original post by Ahsoka5!
Hi! I will be starting my uni course (History and German joint honours) next September. I probably don't have to worry about it just yet, but I would be comforted to have reassurance: For my year abroad (third year) will I recieve financial support from my uni, and if not then would it be more expensive than studying in English? (I'll be in Germany as an English student)

Thank you very much for your help in advance and Happy Easter!

Some info here:

https://www.ucas.com/student-finance-england/other-funding-full-time-students
Reply 5
Thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending