The Student Room Group

Marrying someone from a different culture and country.

Hi, everyone! Hope all is well with you.

Would a native British girl (not one who obtained PR through a variety of ways, but someone whose entire generation is from there) marry a guy from a South Asian country, as the title suggests?

What are some of the must-haves you'll consider or you would look for?

P.S. Interested in having insights from British girls and women only (no offence to others).

Thanks!
Well it depends. As someone who is British, but is ethnically from Asia I would say its a 50-50 situation. I think the biggest worry we would have is whether he's marrying us for the passport/nationality. And whether once he gets it, whether he'll then ditch us because there are soo many stories like that. Or whether once he retires or after a few years he'll want to go back to his own country. I think then comes job, culture, family, etc.
In my case my family always insists that when I want to get married I should choose someone who has his parents in the UK/native British and has the nationality/passport, or at least in the process of getting it.
Original post by Anonymous
Well it depends. As someone who is British, but is ethnically from Asia I would say its a 50-50 situation. I think the biggest worry we would have is whether he's marrying us for the passport/nationality. And whether once he gets it, whether he'll then ditch us because there are soo many stories like that. Or whether once he retires or after a few years he'll want to go back to his own country. I think then comes job, culture, family, etc.
In my case my family always insists that when I want to get married I should choose someone who has his parents in the UK/native British and has the nationality/passport, or at least in the process of getting it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! :smile: I'm really sorry for the delay in getting back.

I totally agree with you that so many non-Brits do that in order to get a passport or nationality. What if someone is brutally honest and doesn't have those intentions? Then there's a possibility, as you said. For instance, a girl from the UK and a boy from a South Asian country are in a relationship for 3–4 years; they get along really well, and afterwards, he wants to marry her. Will the girl then believe that guy? Does the boy's family really matter? 'Coz they live in a different country. The boy, after completing his education in the UK, is doing a job through sponsorship and might get PR if he fulfils other requirements for getting it. But his family members won't be eligible for that. So, what would happen then? The same goes for culture as well. The would-be husband wants his wife to go to his home country for some time to see his parents and understand his culture, but he will live permanently in the UK with his life partner. How would she think about it?
Thanks for taking the time to reply! :smile: I'm really sorry for the delay in getting back.

I totally agree with you that so many non-Brits do that in order to get a passport or nationality. What if someone is brutally honest and doesn't have those intentions? Then there's a possibility, as you said. For instance, a girl from the UK and a boy from a South Asian country are in a relationship for 3–4 years; they get along really well, and afterwards, he wants to marry her. Will the girl then believe that guy? Does the boy's family really matter? 'Coz they live in a different country. The boy, after completing his education in the UK, is doing a job through sponsorship and might get PR if he fulfils other requirements for getting it. But his family members won't be eligible for that. So, what would happen then? The same goes for culture as well. The would-be husband wants his wife to go to his home country for some time to see his parents and understand his culture, but he will live permanently in the UK with his life partner. How would she think about it?

Well, then he sounds perfect. Now it sounds like your talking about either yourself or someone you know, butI don't think the girl will mind much and she might even be thrilled. But it differs in opinion for people.
Well, then he sounds perfect. Now it sounds like your talking about either yourself or someone you know, butI don't think the girl will mind much and she might even be thrilled. But it differs in opinion for people.

Wow! You almost got it right! Actually, it's me. :blushing: :bigsmile:

I'm over the moon to know that she'll be thrilled. The reason I wanted to have insights from Brits girls/women is that Brits know Brits better than anyone else.

I can't thank you enough for taking your time and sharing your valuable thoughts on this! That's so sweet of you! :smile::cute:

Also, best wishes to you in doing whatever you prefer! :crossedf:
Wow! You almost got it right! Actually, it's me. :blushing: :bigsmile:

I'm over the moon to know that she'll be thrilled. The reason I wanted to have insights from Brits girls/women is that Brits know Brits better than anyone else.

I can't thank you enough for taking your time and sharing your valuable thoughts on this! That's so sweet of you! :smile::cute:

Also, best wishes to you in doing whatever you prefer! :crossedf:

Your welcome! Good luck with wooing your girl!:h::crossedf:
I'll be rooting for you, bring back the good news!
Your welcome! Good luck with wooing your girl!:h::crossedf:
I'll be rooting for you, bring back the good news!

☺️☺️

Cheers! 🙌🙏 Okay, I'll do whenever the right moment comes.
I'm assuming assume that PR means permanent residency, sometimes known within the uk as indefinite leave to remain (ilr).

It depends on the specific British citizen girl.
Her individual ambitions, attraction dealbreakers, lifestyle preferences and sometimes family traditions.
Different British girls often have very different ambitions, attraction dealbreakers, beauty standards, lifestyle preferences and relationship expectations.

Some British girls who are open to marriage and have a strong interest in South Asian culture or have relatives whom have cultivated close personal ties to South Asian countries will be willing to consider marriage with a South Asian guy.
Whilst plenty of British girls have decided not to get married at all.
Many preferring to either go down the civil partnership route, remain unmarried and cohabitate, have unofficial casual relationships or stay happily single for life.

A lot of girls are not open to marriage with any overseas citizen raised in another nation.
Nor having a serious romantic or sexual relationship with anyone who does not have the same citizenship that they do.
Variety of reasons including: incompatible attraction dealbreakers, conflicting personal values due to culturally opposite upbringings within domestic environments where very different national laws & social norms applied, not willing to have their future children eligible to inherit citizenship of the other partner's homeland or no desire to risk being involved with any attempts to obtain access to a visa/irl/citizenship for either the marriage partner or any of their relatives who want to relocate to the UK.
Original post by londonmyst
I'm assuming assume that PR means permanent residency, sometimes known within the uk as indefinite leave to remain (ilr).

It depends on the specific British citizen girl.
Her individual ambitions, attraction dealbreakers, lifestyle preferences and sometimes family traditions.
Different British girls often have very different ambitions, attraction dealbreakers, beauty standards, lifestyle preferences and relationship expectations.

Some British girls who are open to marriage and have a strong interest in South Asian culture or have relatives whom have cultivated close personal ties to South Asian countries will be willing to consider marriage with a South Asian guy.
Whilst plenty of British girls have decided not to get married at all.
Many preferring to either go down the civil partnership route, remain unmarried and cohabitate, have unofficial casual relationships or stay happily single for life.

A lot of girls are not open to marriage with any overseas citizen raised in another nation.
Nor having a serious romantic or sexual relationship with anyone who does not have the same citizenship that they do.
Variety of reasons including: incompatible attraction dealbreakers, conflicting personal values due to culturally opposite upbringings within domestic environments where very different national laws & social norms applied, not willing to have their future children eligible to inherit citizenship of the other partner's homeland or no desire to risk being involved with any attempts to obtain access to a visa/irl/citizenship for either the marriage partner or any of their relatives who want to relocate to the UK.

Thanks for elaborating the issue! ☺️

Yeah, I do agree with you. It depends on various factors. But I wanted to have a general idea about it.

Oh, great to know some are interested too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending