The Student Room Group

Best Friend Problems

I've known my friend for more than a decade and we became best friends around 5 years ago. I care about her a lot, but I've felt strange talking to her for a while now. Whenever I try talking to her about personal things, I feel as though she doesn't believe me or doesn't care - she listens but I just feel so hopeless talking to her and she gives me such a blank look ; like I have to prove the severity of an issue to show that it's real - I feel like I'm talking to a wall sometimes.

The other day , I was telling her about the fact that my dad was in a car accident and that I was losing my job because my workplace was closing down - her response? She listened for a bit and then cheerfully carried on talking about herself and all the fun things she's been doing. I felt horrible, because i felt ignored. I'm not like this all the time and we talk about a lot of things; studies, friends, family, jobs and practically everything!

I've been there for her plenty of times too and have been the only person to stick up for her when a classmate was being mean to her; but I wouldn't ignore her like she did to me. I've noticed she always makes excuses for when I make plans to meet up with her and has cancelled last minute on multiple occasions and only wanting to meet when we're in uni and she has no one else to sit with.

I understand that she's not responsible for making me feel better and that she doesn't owe me anything - but as her best friend I just feel sad to be treated like this and I don't know what to do about this friendship.
Original post by Anonymous
I've known my friend for more than a decade and we became best friends around 5 years ago. I care about her a lot, but I've felt strange talking to her for a while now. Whenever I try talking to her about personal things, I feel as though she doesn't believe me or doesn't care - she listens but I just feel so hopeless talking to her and she gives me such a blank look ; like I have to prove the severity of an issue to show that it's real - I feel like I'm talking to a wall sometimes.

The other day , I was telling her about the fact that my dad was in a car accident and that I was losing my job because my workplace was closing down - her response? She listened for a bit and then cheerfully carried on talking about herself and all the fun things she's been doing. I felt horrible, because i felt ignored. I'm not like this all the time and we talk about a lot of things; studies, friends, family, jobs and practically everything!

I've been there for her plenty of times too and have been the only person to stick up for her when a classmate was being mean to her; but I wouldn't ignore her like she did to me. I've noticed she always makes excuses for when I make plans to meet up with her and has cancelled last minute on multiple occasions and only wanting to meet when we're in uni and she has no one else to sit with.

I understand that she's not responsible for making me feel better and that she doesn't owe me anything - but as her best friend I just feel sad to be treated like this and I don't know what to do about this friendship.

If you re-read what you wrote you'll be able to understand she does not want to keep this friendship as close as it used to be. These subtle hints she's giving you? basically, state that she doesnt NOT want to be close friends with you. When i say NOT close friends, please dont assume she likes you.

You feeling ****, why do you want her to care if the only thing you care about is whether she listens to you or not. No one is going to care about you except yourself. If she did care, she wouldnt be a stuck up and talk about her self constantly. Move on.

Why waste your time on a women who doesnt care? whos not willing to spend time with you? makes you look real deep. Move on, focus on yourself. You're the only one who'll be there for yourself.

If you adhere to this, you will see a diff in urself in a few weeks itself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending