The Student Room Group

What can I do as I feel envious seeing couples or even just a girl and guy hang out?

I have been that forever single guy who pretty much never had a girlfriend or even a female friend. I am 22 and will be graduating college after a few months and then pursue MBA. I feel terrible whenever I see my followers on Instagram posting stories of them hanging out with opposite gender and I completely missed out on it. I had 2 close female friends when I was in elementary school but started being very shy near girls since I got into 6th grade so I pretty much never interacted with girls in person throughout my middle school, high school and most of my college days. My college is a small tier 3 engineering college so there aren't really clubs and that big of a social life and you all probably know the ratio of number of guys in engineering colleges are a lot higher than that of girls. I was in electronics engineering so there were some girls but I never found them attractive and few months ago I got crush on 2 girls both being my juniors but unfortunately got rejected. I feel sad seeing how college age students in other bigger Universities have better social life and many guys hanging out with girls and enjoying with them whereas I can't. I also message girls on Instagram whom I knew in school days and many of them ended up blocking me or just ghosting. Even the ones who were in the same grade and even classroom as me aren't accepting my follow request and one even blocked me saying she isn't comfortable chatting with me as we aren't close enough friends. Maybe because I didn't interact with girls in school, they treat me like a stranger. Dating apps like Hinge, tinder aren't giving me luck as I didn't get any matches on them for weeks and even when I get one I get ghosted. All these makes me feel terrible and I feel envious of guys and girls hanging out even as friends let alone dating. I feel like I missed out on socializing with girls at a younger age and now at 22 I feel so late.
There are a couple of things that really jump out at my here and I think should be pointed out from your post.
1) You are 22, you're absolutely not too late or too old to meet someone. I didn't meet my partner until I was much older than that!
2) Please stop comparing yourself to other people. Everyone's timeline is different, and of course there are people out there who find their significant other very early on in life. Equally, there are people who don't ever find a long-term partner, and remain happily single.

Being in a romantic relationship with someone should never be used to define you, and you need to be content and happy on your own. Focus on this instead and if you meet someone, cool! If not, you've just not found the right person yet, and that's entirely ok!

There are no deadlines to these things. I would encourage you to look into groups where you'll meet people with shared interests, instead of relying on a digital platform to meet people with a purely romantic agenda. Don't focus entirely on the romantic nature with every single woman you make a friendship with because you're unlikely to make close platonic friendships that way. I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending