The Student Room Group

University Rankings.

I am currently in the process of applying to UPenn Law School, which is one of the 5 Ivy leagues and responded to my email stating;
'Most successful applicants have outstanding academic creditials from elite universities'. Does mean I unrealistic in applying when I got mixture of my highest grade being 67% and the lowest being 58%, in addition, I came from Essex (wish I hadn't chosen that place) and this is of course not elite. However, my university has recently been awarded 5* QS, which seems to be a big deal in international reputation and strong standing; therefore, does it make my university elite?

The US system seems to be indirectly discriminatory in selecting students from school and universities, but when I am from working class and it's rather hard to get into these top univerisities, or recieve private education as the 'elite minority' in the UK.

Any advice or suggestions would be extremely helpful as I dont want to seem overbearing to UPenn by asking lots of questions, or running the risk of creating a bad impression.
5* from QS isn’t a ranking it’s a “rating” awarded to universities that pay QS for the rating.

If I were you I would just apply. That’s the quickest way to find out if you have what they’re looking for.
Original post by Jeanette97
I am currently in the process of applying to UPenn Law School, which is one of the 5 Ivy leagues and responded to my email stating;
'Most successful applicants have outstanding academic creditials from elite universities'. Does mean I unrealistic in applying when I got mixture of my highest grade being 67% and the lowest being 58%, in addition, I came from Essex (wish I hadn't chosen that place) and this is of course not elite. However, my university has recently been awarded 5* QS, which seems to be a big deal in international reputation and strong standing; therefore, does it make my university elite?

The US system seems to be indirectly discriminatory in selecting students from school and universities, but when I am from working class and it's rather hard to get into these top univerisities, or recieve private education as the 'elite minority' in the UK.

Any advice or suggestions would be extremely helpful as I dont want to seem overbearing to UPenn by asking lots of questions, or running the risk of creating a bad impression.

There are more than five Ivies...

In any event, chances are slim. Even aside from where you studied, being between a high 2:1 and high 2:2 is probably not sufficient - they would be looking for grads with strong first class degrees. The fact you went to a university which they would probably not consider "elite" will probably doubly factor against you in that regard (as they might assume that you would have had an easier time getting good grades there compared to an "elite" university, rightly or wrongly).

Also if you're not a US citizen/resident chances of getting a job there are pretty slim anyway, due to visa requirements and local workforce test requirements (essentially, you can't be sponsored for a working visa by a company if there are suitable qualified American applicants to that job).
Reply 3
Ok thank you,

I was just unsure on what the email meant and whether they were refering to US elite schools or in the UK. However, it is worth noting on my law school list as I am waiting to hear from another, I was informed that being qualified in my home country and the taking the bar would be a closer step towards working in the States. The US does find dual qualification employees more attractive as they can practice in two jurisidctions, but also working for large technology companies is an asset they look for in applicants and working in a US office in London is another route to sponsorship as I will transfering offices for the same firm.

It something I am thinking about and having connections is a helpful start, but of course, there are two bars I still need to decide.
Thanks again.
Original post by artful_lounger
There are more than five Ivies...

In any event, chances are slim. Even aside from where you studied, being between a high 2:1 and high 2:2 is probably not sufficient - they would be looking for grads with strong first class degrees. The fact you went to a university which they would probably not consider "elite" will probably doubly factor against you in that regard (as they might assume that you would have had an easier time getting good grades there compared to an "elite" university, rightly or wrongly).

Also if you're not a US citizen/resident chances of getting a job there are pretty slim anyway, due to visa requirements and local workforce test requirements (essentially, you can't be sponsored for a working visa by a company if there are suitable qualified American applicants to that job).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending