The Student Room Group

Foundation year

If I applied for a foundation year at another uni after already doing a foundation year somewhere else am I less likely to be accepted?
Why do you want to do this?

Which foundation years and universities are you asking about?
Reply 2
I was initially meant to go to Manchester and had an offer from them however due to financial circumstances was not able to accept .However there was a change in financial circumstances and I was able to go, however when I rang them to make the change they said I had missed the deadline to do so .The foundation years I am tallking about is the Science extended degree at Huddersfield and Manchester Pharmacy with a foundation year course.
Huddersfield to Manchester
Original post by soaosaoid
I was initially meant to go to Manchester and had an offer from them however due to financial circumstances was not able to accept .However there was a change in financial circumstances and I was able to go, however when I rang them to make the change they said I had missed the deadline to do so .The foundation years I am tallking about is the Science extended degree at Huddersfield and Manchester Pharmacy with a foundation year course.
Huddersfield to Manchester

Are you currently on the huddersfield FY and hoping to switch back to Manchester this September?
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Are you currently on the huddersfield FY and hoping to switch back to Manchester this September?

I’m hoping to reapply for September 2024
I’m hoping to reapply for September 2024

Why not ask Manchester if they’ll take you back for deferred entry and get a job or travel for a year instead of starting a course that you don’t intend to finish?
Reply 6
I have already started the other course though :frown:
Original post by PQ
Why not ask Manchester if they’ll take you back for deferred entry and get a job or travel for a year instead of starting a course that you don’t intend to finish?
I have already started the other course though :frown:

:frown:

and have you put in a UCAS application to transfer to a new university this autumn?
Reply 8
No
Original post by PQ
:frown:

and have you put in a UCAS application to transfer to a new university this autumn?
No

Then that’s your priority if you want to change university this autumn.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
Then that’s your priority if you want to change university this autumn.

But would it put me at a disadvantage to apply to Manchester as i am already in the process of finishing the foundation year at huddersfield but don't want to progress on to the courses they provide and declined the offer from Manchester last year ?
But would it put me at a disadvantage to apply to Manchester as i am already in the process of finishing the foundation year at huddersfield but don't want to progress on to the courses they provide and declined the offer from Manchester last year ?

Not applying puts you at more of a disadvantage
Reply 12
Sorry I'm just a bit confused.Are you saying I shoudnt apply for Manchester for 2024?
Original post by PQ
Not applying puts you at more of a disadvantage
Sorry I'm just a bit confused.Are you saying I shoudnt apply for Manchester for 2024?

When will you finish your current foundation year?

I’m saying that if you want to start at a new university this autumn then you need to submit a ucas application asap. You can’t start at a new university without an application and for undergraduate degrees that means applying through ucas.
Reply 14
Original post by PQ
When will you finish your current foundation year?

I’m saying that if you want to start at a new university this autumn then you need to submit a ucas application asap. You can’t start at a new university without an application and for undergraduate degrees that means applying through ucas.

I will finish the foundation year in May.However because Manchester is a Russel group and I declined their offer last year are they less likely to accept me when I apply in autumn ?I plan to apply in the next cycle to maximise my chances of getting an offer again as I have missed the UCAS deadline to start in September 2023.
I will finish the foundation year in May.However because Manchester is a Russel group and I declined their offer last year are they less likely to accept me when I apply in autumn ?I plan to apply in the next cycle to maximise my chances of getting an offer again as I have missed the UCAS deadline to start in September 2023.

So you plan to complete a science foundation year at Huddersfield and then take a gap year?

Are you that wedded to the idea of studying pharmacy at Manchester?

Have you phoned Manchester to talk to them about whether they might consider you for entry this year.

Declining an offer doesn’t reduce your chances of getting a place. Having an offer previously increases your chances of getting a place.

There’s universities with vacancies for pharmacy starting this September (that will likely consider you for entry with your Huddersfield FY) https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/courses?searchTerm=Pharmacy&studyYear=2023&destination=Undergraduate&vacancy=eng&postcodeDistanceSystem=imperial&pageNumber=1&sort=MostRelevant&previouslyAddedProviders=University%20of%20Manchester&clearingPreference=None
Reply 16
Original post by PQ
So you plan to complete a science foundation year at Huddersfield and then take a gap year?

Are you that wedded to the idea of studying pharmacy at Manchester?

Have you phoned Manchester to talk to them about whether they might consider you for entry this year.

Declining an offer doesn’t reduce your chances of getting a place. Having an offer previously increases your chances of getting a place.

There’s universities with vacancies for pharmacy starting this September (that will likely consider you for entry with your Huddersfield FY) https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/courses?searchTerm=Pharmacy&studyYear=2023&destination=Undergraduate&vacancy=eng&postcodeDistanceSystem=imperial&pageNumber=1&sort=MostRelevant&previouslyAddedProviders=University%20of%20Manchester&clearingPreference=None

Yes that's what I intend in doing.
I would love to study in Manchester however would it look bad as I have already done (am in the process of finishing ) a foundation year to then apply for their foundation year ?
Thank you for the help !
Yes that's what I intend in doing.
I would love to study in Manchester however would it look bad as I have already done (am in the process of finishing ) a foundation year to then apply for their foundation year ?
Thank you for the help !

they might accept your current foundation year for entry into yr 1 of the mpharm.

either way you need to talk to them directly.

if I were you I would also be applying NOW through ucas to alternate universities that are still open for MPharm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending