The Student Room Group

safety choice

hi! I wanted to ask what is actually considered a "safety school" for things like ucas...is it just something that is below your grades (eg, a BBB requirement for someone predicted AAA), or a uni lower down in rankings, or something else?
A switch shot is when you change the direction of your shot at the last moment, making it harder for your opponent to anticipate and react. To do a switch shot, you need to have good control of your racket and wrist, and be able to disguise your intention until the last second. You can practice this by hitting the shuttlecock from different angles and positions, and varying the speed and spin of your shots. A switch shot can be very effective if used sparingly and unpredictably, but don't overuse it or your opponent will catch on and counter it.
Original post by tsr2801
hi! I wanted to ask what is actually considered a "safety school" for things like ucas...is it just something that is below your grades (eg, a BBB requirement for someone predicted AAA), or a uni lower down in rankings, or something else?

It’s generally a uni that asks for grades lower than your firm, and your second choice of uni from your offers.
I'd always advise applying to universities with a range of typical offer grades so that you have more flexibility when it comes to making your firm and insurance choices.

The idea is that your firm choice offer is the one that you want to go to the most, and that your insurance offer is the course you would like to study if you are unable to be accepted by your firm course (which is usually because you missed the grade requirements). So traditionally, the insurance choice [plan B] is one with slightly lower grades than the firm choice.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by tsr2801

It means different things at different point in the application process initially it's some where you sure to get an offer for. if your applying for A*A*A university's a safety school might ask for A*AB. Once you have got your offers it changes to what people call an insurance choice (if you don't get in to your firm). It should be a university in an area you like but with slightly lower grades than your firm choice. So many people apply to somewhere the don't like for their insurance and then have to self release into clearing so please don't make that mistake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending