The Student Room Group

Russel group?

Why is there this mania about the Russel Group it sometimes seems like people think it's all or nothing (well except Oxbridge) but there are some exemplary universities not in the Russel group like St Andrews or Royal Holloway so why do people kind of look down on non Russel Groups sometimes?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

RG is ultimately just a brand - although a strong one at that.

I think people emphasise the importance of attending an RG university just because of some of the power house universities that are part of the group - places like oxbridge, the LSE etc. Obviously it's a big deal for any uni to be lumped into the same group as them. What people overlook is that RG eligibility is based on research intensity/quality, something which is pretty subjective in and of itself.

Unis like St Andrews just aren't big enough to qualify - the quality of undergraduate tuition is great but one look at global rankings such as QS show that their research reputation is far from crazy simply due to small departmental size.

All in all, the brand is all that counts in some eyes. Many people overlook the fact that you might receive a better quality of education at say, St Andrews rather than QMUL, in favour of having "Russell Group" on your CV. People who hate on non-RG unis just because they're non-RG shouldn't really be listened to; most of the discussion is nonsense anyway.
(Russell)
Original post by jonathanemptage
Why is there this mania about the Russel Group it sometimes seems like people think it's all or nothing (well except Oxbridge) but there are some exemplary universities not in the Russel group like St Andrews or Royal Holloway so why do people kind of look down on non Russel Groups sometimes?

It's hype and most employers don't give a jot where you went to university
Original post by J2OClips
RG is ultimately just a brand - although a strong one at that.

I think people emphasise the importance of attending an RG university just because of some of the power house universities that are part of the group - places like oxbridge, the LSE etc. Obviously it's a big deal for any uni to be lumped into the same group as them. What people overlook is that RG eligibility is based on research intensity/quality, something which is pretty subjective in and of itself.

Unis like St Andrews just aren't big enough to qualify - the quality of undergraduate tuition is great but one look at global rankings such as QS show that their research reputation is far from crazy simply due to small departmental size.

All in all, the brand is all that counts in some eyes. Many people overlook the fact that you might receive a better quality of education at say, St Andrews rather than QMUL, in favour of having "Russell Group" on your CV. People who hate on non-RG unis just because they're non-RG shouldn't really be listened to; most of the discussion is nonsense anyway.

RG is totally irrelevant to most employers - they prefer to see work experience e.g a year in industry.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
RG is totally irrelevant to most employers - they prefer to see work experience e.g a year in industry.

RG doesn't preclude work experience.
Original post by Makro

RG is a marketing body set up by older universities in the bigger cities because they feared the changes made to higher education would mean they would lose some of their research funding. Prior to 1992 Polytechnics werent able to apply for research funding and the new rules at that tie opened up for Polytechnics to apply for university status.

There are universities outside the Russell Group every bit as good as and often better than some of the RG. Examples being Bath, Lancaster and St Andrews.

Prior to 2011 there were 2 groups representing leading universities. One was the RG and the other was the 1994 group. Prior to that time Durham, Exeter, York and Queen Mary were in same group as universities such as Bath, Lancaster, St Andrews and a number of other universities mainly in smaller cities. Whilst 4 decided to pay to join the RG others decided not to. The 4 that left are not any better for joining and the group that stayed are not any worse for not joining.

There is absolutely no reason why students would be any better in the RG group than some of the others. Students are falling for the RG hype often being misled by parents and teachers many of whom arent aware of why the RG was set up.
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
RG is a marketing body set up by older universities in the bigger cities because they feared the changes made to higher education would mean they would lose some of their research funding. Prior to 1992 Polytechnics werent able to apply for research funding and the new rules at that tie opened up for Polytechnics to apply for university status.

There are universities outside the Russell Group every bit as good as and often better than some of the RG. Examples being Bath, Lancaster and St Andrews.

Prior to 2011 there were 2 groups representing leading universities. One was the RG and the other was the 1994 group. Prior to that time Durham, Exeter, York and Queen Mary were in same group as universities such as Bath, Lancaster, St Andrews and a number of other universities mainly in smaller cities. Whilst 4 decided to pay to join the RG others decided not to. The 4 that left are not any better for joining and the group that stayed are not any worse for not joining.

There is absolutely no reason why students would be any better in the RG group than some of the others. Students are falling for the RG hype often being misled by parents and teachers many of whom arent aware of why the RG was set up.

You stated, 'RG is totally irrelevant to most employers - they prefer to see work experience e.g a year in industry.'
I replied that RG does not preclude work experience! Everything else you said made sense, but you were wrong on that point, you can go to an RG and have work experience e.g a year in industry.

I didn't ask about the history of RG etc etc. I'm too long in the tooth for that :biggrin:.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Makro
You stated, 'RG is totally irrelevant to most employers - they prefer to see work experience e.g a year in industry.'
I replied that RG does not preclude work experience! Everything else you said made sense, but you were wrong on that point, you can go to an RG and have work experience e.g a year in industry.

I didn't ask about the history of RG etc etc. I'm too long in the tooth for that :biggrin:.

I didnt make that statement check. There are so many students being misled that everything abut the RG is wonderful and anything outside is poor. All lies. Places like Bath have better year in industry than RG.
Reply 9
I didnt make that statement check. There are so many students being misled that everything abut the RG is wonderful and anything outside is poor. All lies. Places like Bath have better year in industry than RG.

My mistake! it was good old mutley79, apologies, however, my response still stands.
I honestly think the story of the RG on these threads has been done to death. I'm sure everyone and their mother has been educated on it but you are missing a trick! People are choosing to go to RG's not because they don't know how it began (a few still don't), but because it has evolved beyond that and RG has become the brand for excellent UK universities. That doesn't mean there aren't any excellent unis outside of it. I didn't want to get into this debate except for my comment re: RG and work experience but I've dragged myself it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Makro

No but not many offer a year in industry do they? The degrees tend to be theoretical too - engineering at RG is not a great idea.
Original post by Makro
My mistake! it was good old mutley79, apologies, however, my response still stands.
I honestly think the story of the RG on these threads has been done to death. I'm sure everyone and their mother has been educated on it but you are missing a trick! People are choosing to go to RG's not because they don't know how it began (a few still don't), but because it has evolved beyond that and RG has become the brand for excellent UK universities. That doesn't mean there aren't any excellent unis outside of it. I didn't want to get into this debate except for my comment re: RG and work experience but I've dragged myself it.

That is rot. Bath is far bettr than most RG - it's hype and dangerous hype at that.

The teaching at an RG uni is no better and often worse - the focus is on lecturers research and teaching comes well down the list. Just look at the teaching grades to see what I mean. Lecturers tend to try and avoid teaching freshers in particular.
Reply 12
Original post by Muttley79
No but not many offer a year in industry do they? The degrees tend to be theoretical too - engineering at RG is not a great idea.

Now you're changing the goal posts. Before you said work experience/ yr in industry is preferred by employers over RG. Now you are arguing not many RGs offer a year in industry. Can you just admit you were wrong on your first assertion and move your argument along?
Original post by Makro
I haven't said a single thing about Bath or teaching at RGs. Your annoyance at RGs and the hype is making you irrational please step back and stop having an argument with yourself.

You miss the point. There are actually some universities outside the RG that are actually better than some within it. It isnt right that RG is necessarily better than non RG. That is the myth the RG puts about which fools so many and leads to students being misled into thinking only RG is good,
Original post by Makro
I haven't

When people stoop to insults you know they have lost the argument - RG is hype.
Reply 15
You miss the point. There are actually some universities outside the RG that are actually better than some within it. It isnt right that RG is necessarily better than non RG. That is the myth the RG puts about which fools so many and leads to students being misled into thinking only RG is good,

I have not missed any of the points but it seems you and Muttley are determined to make up an argument that isn't here. Please quote where I have made the assertions you are responding to then we can have sensible debate.
Reply 16
Original post by Makro

And the word 'rather' doesn't preclude the comparator.
Reply 17
Original post by Makro
I notice you have not been able to accept you were wrong for implying studying at an RG means you can not have a yr in industry or have work experience.

They absolutely didn't imply that.
Original post by Makro
Please

You misread my post - nowhere did I say RG don't offer a year in industry - I said employers look for that rather than RG.

RG is a self-selecting club ... there is no quality check to join.
Original post by Makro

I don't think that this is what he meant. I think he meant that a lot of students choose Russell Group unis because they think that they are elite and will make them somehow superior to the rest of the graduates in the job market. However, this is a mistake, because employers value work experience more than prestige. As you have said, it is possible to be in a Russell Group uni and have work experience, but sadly, a lot of young students still believe that an RG university label will give them the priority to a graduate job, which is really not the case, because that's not how the world works. That is why we are made to believe that Russell Group universities are overrated and the Russell Group label doesn't really mean anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending