The Student Room Group

Parents keep arguing and I feel trapped

My parents have argued for as long as I can remember (which is a long time). One of them is short tempered (Parent 1) while the other constantly keeps provoking and villainizing the other and arguing back (Parent 2). I've grown up watching them argue and fight over the stupidest things and making a big deal out of nothing and it really affects me mentally and emotionally. I'm now at that point where I feel like I should intervene and get them to understand how they're wrong but Parent 1 says it's usually not their fault since they're being poked at (which is true) and Parent 2 is just vengeful and won't even listen to their faults or accept their mistakes (they do this with everything they do in life).

I don't know what to do anymore, I understand where Parent 1 comes from, there is only so much poking and proding someone's gonna deal with before they start yelling, especially when you're short tempered in general but Parent 2 just won't listen and I'm getting tired of them constantly yelling. It's upsetting, it brings me down mentally and emotionally and makes me not wanna focus on my studies anymore.

It doesn't help that my sister is so self absorbed and unaware of life. She's quite spoiled and takes absolutely no responsiblity in life. Can't even be bothered to throw her own garbage in the bin. Before you assume this is her response to what's happening, no, it's not, she is just careless, irresponsible and has never done anything in life so claims she "never learnt how to do things" and would rather just sit and stare at any problem life throws at her rather than work out how to start fixing it. She wants all the perks of being an adult (18) but refuses to deal with any of the responsibilities which come with it. When naturally, people aren't willing to trust someone like that and let them go out every weekend or give a bunch of money, she starts throwing tantrums about how she "can't do anything", "nobody loves her" etc etc which is honestly not true since she was able to do all this before she showed how irresponsible she's gonna be (won't give examples but she's lost some important **** regularly). For eg, she can't even be bothered to research what she should do education wise and would rather just blindly copy everything I do.

I'm surrounded by people who keep arguing or act like a 2 year old spoiled brat and I feel so trapped. I can't move out anywhere since my uni is in the city I live in. I think my only solution here is to get my parents to stop arguing and my sister to act like an adult but I don't know how to go about doing that.
Original post by Anonymous
My parents have argued for as long as I can remember (which is a long time). One of them is short tempered (Parent 1) while the other constantly keeps provoking and villainizing the other and arguing back (Parent 2). I've grown up watching them argue and fight over the stupidest things and making a big deal out of nothing and it really affects me mentally and emotionally. I'm now at that point where I feel like I should intervene and get them to understand how they're wrong but Parent 1 says it's usually not their fault since they're being poked at (which is true) and Parent 2 is just vengeful and won't even listen to their faults or accept their mistakes (they do this with everything they do in life).

I don't know what to do anymore, I understand where Parent 1 comes from, there is only so much poking and proding someone's gonna deal with before they start yelling, especially when you're short tempered in general but Parent 2 just won't listen and I'm getting tired of them constantly yelling. It's upsetting, it brings me down mentally and emotionally and makes me not wanna focus on my studies anymore.

It doesn't help that my sister is so self absorbed and unaware of life. She's quite spoiled and takes absolutely no responsiblity in life. Can't even be bothered to throw her own garbage in the bin. Before you assume this is her response to what's happening, no, it's not, she is just careless, irresponsible and has never done anything in life so claims she "never learnt how to do things" and would rather just sit and stare at any problem life throws at her rather than work out how to start fixing it. She wants all the perks of being an adult (18) but refuses to deal with any of the responsibilities which come with it. When naturally, people aren't willing to trust someone like that and let them go out every weekend or give a bunch of money, she starts throwing tantrums about how she "can't do anything", "nobody loves her" etc etc which is honestly not true since she was able to do all this before she showed how irresponsible she's gonna be (won't give examples but she's lost some important **** regularly). For eg, she can't even be bothered to research what she should do education wise and would rather just blindly copy everything I do.

I'm surrounded by people who keep arguing or act like a 2 year old spoiled brat and I feel so trapped. I can't move out anywhere since my uni is in the city I live in. I think my only solution here is to get my parents to stop arguing and my sister to act like an adult but I don't know how to go about doing that.

My parents have a tendency to fight a lot too and I used to try to prevent them from arguing, but that made it worse for me if I'm honest because then they started arguing with me and turning against me and it was a 3-way fight. You need to understand that your parents problems are not your problems, and although it sucks to hear them fighting they are grown adults and it is not your responsibility to break up their fights. If you are in the room when they are arguing, remove yourself from that situation. I like to disappear silently and my parents don't often notice me leave. If you can still hear them arguing when you're in another room, put some headphones on and listen to music, immerse yourself in your work, or do something relaxing. Take a few deep breaths, and just pretend you don't care. Eventually you will stop caring, and it will get easier with time.

I don't have any siblings, but it might help if you had a conversation with your sister. Sorry I'm not able to be more helpful.
Original post by scar-the-queen
My parents have a tendency to fight a lot too and I used to try to prevent them from arguing, but that made it worse for me if I'm honest because then they started arguing with me and turning against me and it was a 3-way fight. You need to understand that your parents problems are not your problems, and although it sucks to hear them fighting they are grown adults and it is not your responsibility to break up their fights. If you are in the room when they are arguing, remove yourself from that situation. I like to disappear silently and my parents don't often notice me leave. If you can still hear them arguing when you're in another room, put some headphones on and listen to music, immerse yourself in your work, or do something relaxing. Take a few deep breaths, and just pretend you don't care. Eventually you will stop caring, and it will get easier with time.

I don't have any siblings, but it might help if you had a conversation with your sister. Sorry I'm not able to be more helpful.

I've tried doing that before but I just get this pit in my stomach and it feels heavy. It just feels like I could've stopped the fight but I didn't and now it's my fault. I dunno if menopause has anything to do with it (my moms nearing the age but afaik she's not actually going through it yet) but honestly she's always been like this.

Thank you for the response though, feels nice to know there are others going through similar stuff. Hope it all goes well for you.
I've tried doing that before but I just get this pit in my stomach and it feels heavy. It just feels like I could've stopped the fight but I didn't and now it's my fault. I dunno if menopause has anything to do with it (my moms nearing the age but afaik she's not actually going through it yet) but honestly she's always been like this.

Thank you for the response though, feels nice to know there are others going through similar stuff. Hope it all goes well for you.

It's not your fault. It is not your responsibility to stop your parents from arguing. I know these things are hard and I wish you all the best. My PMs are always open if you ever want to talk.
Original post by scar-the-queen
It's not your fault. It is not your responsibility to stop your parents from arguing. I know these things are hard and I wish you all the best. My PMs are always open if you ever want to talk.

Tysm.
Tysm.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending