The Student Room Group

Why do eating disorders kill you when they are more to do with the mind?

Title
Because your body needs nutrition to function and without it, you will die.
What do you think?
Original post by black tea
What do you think?

I don't know that's why I asked this question
Original post by Anony345533
I don't know that's why I asked this question

Take a wild guess - why might being malnourished not be good for you?
Take a wild guess - why might being malnourished not be good for you?

It leads to a load of health issues and leads to death, but so does being overweight yet no one talks about overweight people having an eating disorder and therapists and doctors won't get involved or "on your case" about that. They can have binge eating disorder for all anyone knows.

I would also think your mind is playing tricks on you so your mind is damaged but apparently that damages your body and your physical health as well as everything can come back low in your blood.
(edited 1 year ago)
It leads to a load of health issues and leads to death,

Well there we go, you answered your own question... And big LOL if you you think health professionals 'won't get involved or "on your case" about that' for people who are overweight...
Well there we go, you answered your own question... And big LOL if you you think health professionals 'won't get involved or "on your case" about that' for people who are overweight...

I don't know anyone personally who had doctors on their case and they are overweight. I know quite a few overweight people and underweight people, yet underweight people get picked on (well I got picked on, not sure about this other girl in my year group my age, weight and an inch taller than me who may or may not have a birth defect, may or may not have anorexia and she may just be small for her age as her family are tiny, didn't get picked on as far as I know. Everyone else apart from me and her were of normal weight)
So I wonder my blood work all came back normal despite being underweight all my life? (Maybe my genetic disorder then)
(edited 1 year ago)
I don't know anyone personally who had doctors on their case and they are overweight. I know quite a few overweight people and underweight people, yet underweight people get picked on (well I got picked on, not sure about this other girl in my year group my age, weight and an inch taller than me who may or may not have a birth defect, may or may not have anorexia and she may just be small for her age as her family are tiny, didn't get picked on as far as I know. Everyone else apart from me and her were of normal weight)

It looks like you sample size of reference is very small, what with you being the only underweight person you know who got "picked on"...

Quick Reply

Latest