The Student Room Group

Relationship advice

Should I get back with my ex we broke up and I have gone no contact it was because of both of our faults and I have now undertoof his reasonings and I've reflected a lot and changed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Should I get back with my ex we broke up and I have gone no contact it was because of both of our faults and I have now undertoof his reasonings and I've reflected a lot and changed

There's a lot of questions you should ask yourself. A lot of the time we want to get back with our ex because we miss them, we loved them and we don't like being lonely.. Also he's all you've known for the time you were broken up.

But would it practical? Would the issues from before still persist? Would that work long-term? Are you just delaying another eventual break up, simply because you're lonely? Did you really want to change, has it benefited you, or did you only do it for him? Do you think you can maintain how much you've changed? Would you ever resent him for making you change?
Reply 2

Nah don't bother
Reply 3
No but what I'm saying is I want to
Reply 4
Original post by Your nana
There's a lot of questions you should ask yourself. A lot of the time we want to get back with our ex because we miss them, we loved them and we don't like being lonely.. Also he's all you've known for the time you were broken up.

But would it practical? Would the issues from before still persist? Would that work long-term? Are you just delaying another eventual break up, simply because you're lonely? Did you really want to change, has it benefited you, or did you only do it for him? Do you think you can maintain how much you've changed? Would you ever resent him for making you change?

The issues won't persist because it's gonna be different we've had time to heal and grow and mature and I realise my faults and I've changed
Reply 5
It has really benefited me like I had to reflect and put my ego in the bin and what I've realised throughout it all is I still love him
Reply 6
Do you think you can maintain how much you've changed? Yes I am not longer the jealous controlling ***** I once was

Would you ever resent him for making you change? No because whatever happens the change was good for me
Reply 7
I thought I was just lonely but I'm not it's this feeling of like true love like you want to make it work with them u don't hate nor resent them it's a feeling of we love got this I've got your back lean on me
Reply 8

Too late. You should have behaved properly whilst in the relationship, not claim you've changed and now regret it. Anyway, how do you know he has changed and wants to be with you if you're no contact? How do you know you have changed when the issues were when you had a boyfriend and not when you are single?
Reply 9

Maybe if you discuss it with him.
Reply 10
Original post by Surnia
Too late. You should have behaved properly whilst in the relationship, not claim you've changed and now regret it. Anyway, how do you know he has changed and wants to be with you if you're no contact? How do you know you have changed when the issues were when you had a boyfriend and not when you are single?

I don't see any issue with this
Reply 11
Original post by Surnia

It was unhealthy on both ends he kept hurting me and I didn't communicate and it just went downhill and I didn't actually compromise and neither did he and it was bad overall but this time ik will be different because of time
Reply 12
Original post by Surnia

Because when I see those same situations arise I know how to handle it now and I don't feel the same way I did before I got it wrong we both did
Reply 13
Original post by tanstaafiq
Maybe if you discuss it with him.

How much time do u leave after an breakup until u talk to them again
Reply 14
It was unhealthy on both ends he kept hurting me and I didn't communicate and it just went downhill and I didn't actually compromise and neither did he and it was bad overall but this time ik will be different because of time

You haven't answered any questions i asked.

So why do you think it's good to go back to a toxic relationship when time changes nothing, it has to be the people that are proactive?
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 15
Because when I see those same situations arise I know how to handle it now and I don't feel the same way I did before I got it wrong we both did

Like he was friends with this person who I rly didn't like but now I respect his choice he has autonomy to do as he wishes and I still love him no matter what
Reply 16
Original post by Surnia
You haven't answered any questions i asked.

So why do you think it's good to go back to a toxic relationship when time changes nothing, it has to be the people that are proactive?

Yes I understand time heals wounds tho it can also help you change ur perspective it really allowed me to realise what happened his PoV what I did wrong and how to make the situation better. Time helped me understand him better and understand me and it allowed me to realise what I truly want in a relationship
Reply 17
Please guys can you help me figure out a way to get him back i whist want to show him that things can be different this time just one last shot please
Reply 18
It's great to hear that you've reflected and grown, however there's nothing to say he's done the same and if the relationship ended because the fault was on both of you - then he may be the same person as he was back then: The person that you broke up with.

Unfortunately I don't think it would work out, because I don't think there are any lingering feelings from his end - especially with the 'no contact' bit you mentioned. This chapter of you and him has ended - it's best to pursue new people rather than dig up a bad past.

I hope you find the best person for you.
Reply 19
I know he has because he seems calmer and even tho we're not together he doesn't do what he used to before and certain things that were bad he has rly reflected and is different now he see have not talked but it avn work I have faith and I believe it can work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending