The Student Room Group

Getting into Nursing/Paramedic Practice with a Conviction

Anyone know if getting onto a Health related degree with a minor criminal conviction is impossible?? or do you currently have a conviction and feel just as worried? (Mine was for common assault 2 years ago!)

** Please don't bother posting if your gonna be judgemental I need advice not your disapproval! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

for what and when is the obvious first question

common assualt may prove problematic as it's a 'crime of violence'

but am am i not an admissions tutor
Reply 2
johnosixtynine
It was a domestic altercation with an ex-partner inside a night club, I was dancing with another female on the dance floor and out the corner of my eye I saw my ex came over (totally out of it) she came over to me and without warning bit me on the left hand side of my face (left cheek) I was shocked and without thinking pushed her away from me, she fell over (causing no injury). She went to the police and I was arrested and charged with common assault (I admitted the offence in interview and was convicted) I was ordered to pay her £300 compensation and I was placed on a 28 weeks domestic violence course (I finished the course in full and now attend as volunteer training as a support worker / group facilitator helping other victims and offenders) It was a one off and ive remained close friends with my ex but im not sure how uni would see it?? I have no other convictions, cautions or warnings. Ive ticked the convictions box on UCAS and got interviews but its how I explain it when they ask?? :confused:

Well, the fact you've got interviews is good, and well done for ticking that box!!

The thing is, what counts is basically your eligibility to register with the relevant regulatory body when you eventually qualify. They will ask you about the conviction, and if you just explain the facts, you should be ok, bearing in mind by the time you actually finish a three year course the offence would be 6-7 years in the past!

I think you'll be ok - it's not like you walked up to someone and just punched them in the face knocking three teeth out or anything like that. From what I gather at least, there's no list of crimes whereby "these ones are ok" and "these one's aren't" (though obviously, there are some that most definitely aren't)! It's also, as you may've guessed, not the case that one conviction prevents you from becoming a nurse or paramedic completely.

These things are talked about and reviewed, I suspect that, assuming every other aspect of your interview is a "yes", the admissions tutors will talk about it, maybe even consult the relevant regulatory body (not sure who it is for nursing or paramedic practice, for radiography and other allied health professionals it's called the Health Professions Council anyway), to ensure basically that you would be able to register at the end of the course.

Hope this helps.
I think it entirely depends on the admissions board- if you can prove you're changed, different and made up for what you've done, why not. However this is a concern, can affect your fitness to pratice- etc- again, entirely up to the admissions board
Reply 4
Oh hey, I noticed you're applying to Hallam, which is where I am and where my info actually comes from.
No offence but HOW THE **** DID YOU GET CONVICTED FOR THAT?! The woman attacked you, and you only pushed her away out of self-defence, and you used more than reasonable force in my opinion.

You were a fool to let the police scare you into admitting you 'assaulted' her.
freddythemonster
No offence but HOW THE **** DID YOU GET CONVICTED FOR THAT?! The woman attacked you, and you only pushed her away out of self-defence, and you used more than reasonable force in my opinion.

you've only heard one side of the story though :rolleyes:
anna_spanner89
you've only heard one side of the story though :rolleyes:

Only the OP suffered a physical injury. What more do you need to know? Do you need to take several years analysing the case, interviewing each witness several times, writing a 40 million word report before you are willing to see the truth? That you don't know the full facts is lazy people supporting the corrupt Government.
freddythemonster
Only the OP suffered a physical injury. What more do you need to know? Do you need to take several years analysing the case, interviewing each witness several times, writing a 40 million word report before you are willing to see the truth? That you don't know the full facts is lazy people supporting the corrupt Government.

No, but i never make judgments on a situation where i wasn't present without asking all parties involved- not a one sided view! - fact is he has a criminal record, whether you think it was right or not.
suek
Well, the fact you've got interviews is good, and well done for ticking that box!!

The thing is, what counts is basically your eligibility to register with the relevant regulatory body when you eventually qualify. They will ask you about the conviction, and if you just explain the facts, you should be ok, bearing in mind by the time you actually finish a three year course the offence would be 6-7 years in the past!

I think you'll be ok - it's not like you walked up to someone and just punched them in the face knocking three teeth out or anything like that. From what I gather at least, there's no list of crimes whereby "these ones are ok" and "these one's aren't" (though obviously, there are some that most definitely aren't)! It's also, as you may've guessed, not the case that one conviction prevents you from becoming a nurse or paramedic completely.

These things are talked about and reviewed, I suspect that, assuming every other aspect of your interview is a "yes", the admissions tutors will talk about it, maybe even consult the relevant regulatory body (not sure who it is for nursing or paramedic practice, for radiography and other allied health professionals it's called the Health Professions Council anyway), to ensure basically that you would be able to register at the end of the course.

Hope this helps.

Thanks that's really helpful :smile: yes its the HPC for Paramedic's as well. I'll maybe drop them an email direct to get there views on it.
freddythemonster

I know :frown: didnt help working for the police and did at the time of the offence (work in the control room taking 999 calls as a civilian) They basically made an example of me and told me I should have known better (I should have just walked away)

Anyone else would have got a caution (first offence, I admitted it, less serious etc... but because the police was my employer it wasn't so easy for them) I agreed with them and decided to take full responsibility for my actions even though I was the one that got bit, It saved my job as they never sacked me and although I was suspended on full pay for 11 months while it was going through the court I returned to work after my sentence with no disaplinary action being taken.
anna_spanner89
No, but i never make judgments on a situation where i wasn't present without asking all parties involved- not a one sided view! - fact is he has a criminal record, whether you think it was right or not.

Your entitled to your opinion and your right you don't have my ex's side, I think u've been very genuine so thanks for the posts :smile:
anna_spanner89
I think it entirely depends on the admissions board- if you can prove you're changed, different and made up for what you've done, why not. However this is a concern, can affect your fitness to pratice- etc- again, entirely up to the admissions board

My probation order was for 2 years but it got revoked after 12 months for my progress (It ended after a year instead of 2)... Meant having to go back to court to get it removed and I seen it in a very different light. The magistrates praised me for my efforts and made comment on how I now volunteer with other offenders and victims using my own experience etc... It was almost like having tea and biscuits! The probation officer I had also made reference to this and knowing I want to go uni said he supports my application, maybe try and get them to send in some supporting documents or somet if they would help.

Its just sooooo frustrating that im now judged on my 1 conviction :frown: it might sound unreal but im not a violent person at all, id say im kind, caring, forgiving, non judgemental etc.... hence wanting to become a paramedic (I wanna help people) :rolleyes:
johnosixtynine
My probation order was for 2 years but it got revoked after 12 months for my progress (It ended after a year instead of 2)... Meant having to go back to court to get it removed and I seen it in a very different light. The magistrates praised me for my efforts and made comment on how I now volunteer with other offenders and victims using my own experience etc... It was almost like having tea and biscuits! The probation officer I had also made reference to this and knowing I want to go uni said he supports my application, maybe try and get them to send in some supporting documents or somet if they would help.

Its just sooooo frustrating that im now judged on my 1 conviction :frown: it might sound unreal but im not a violent person at all, id say im kind, caring, forgiving, non judgemental etc.... hence wanting to become a paramedic (I wanna help people) :rolleyes:

Thats for the admissions board to decide- not us :rolleyes:
I dont think they will be so understanding :frown:
johnosixtynine
I dont think they will be so understanding :frown:

Just explain to them- if they don't understand thats their loss, im afraid though, that this is simply part of the job

when you're working as a paramedic an incident like that could get you struck off- so why should they let you in?!
Reply 16
This may not be remotely relevant but i seem to remember a high profile case who applied to med school but got turned down because he didn't admit his criminal record, and I vaguely remember it coming out that they'd consider the conviction "spent" after five years, and I think it was a moe serious crime.

I do seem to recall that another uni offered him a place.

I think all uni's do CRB checks so if it's on record then it'll come out. I think your best bet is to be up front about it and tell your side of the story. For want of a better phrase "good character" is considered important and they may not see it well, however unfair it may be they may not want to take the risk. Don't give up though!

good luck
Reply 17
I honestly think you're in with a good chance, there's quite a bit of leeway given considering age at time of the offence and the age you'll be when you graduate. Yes doing it whilst you're a paramedic will probably get you struck off, but the incident seems pretty minor and getting charged with it pretty harsh in comparison with what some people get away with. Just be honest :smile:

It's ALL about eligibility to register with the HPC rather than the uni's own personal choice - they don't want you wasting your time if you won't be eligible.
iainmacn
This may not be remotely relevant but i seem to remember a high profile case who applied to med school but got turned down because he didn't admit his criminal record, and I vaguely remember it coming out that they'd consider the conviction "spent" after five years, and I think it was a moe serious crime.

I do seem to recall that another uni offered him a place.

I think all uni's do CRB checks so if it's on record then it'll come out. I think your best bet is to be up front about it and tell your side of the story. For want of a better phrase "good character" is considered important and they may not see it well, however unfair it may be they may not want to take the risk. Don't give up though!

good luck

Thats reasuring, I remeber something about someone being charged with burglary and still getting a place, ill just have to hope the uni is flexable and considers all aspects. Thanks for the post :smile:
suek
I honestly think you're in with a good chance, there's quite a bit of leeway given considering age at time of the offence and the age you'll be when you graduate. Yes doing it whilst you're a paramedic will probably get you struck off, but the incident seems pretty minor and getting charged with it pretty harsh in comparison with what some people get away with. Just be honest :smile:

It's ALL about eligibility to register with the HPC rather than the uni's own personal choice - they don't want you wasting your time if you won't be eligible.

Yeah that makes sence. I could do with you on the panel that gets the final say really lol thanks I feel I bit more confident about the whole situation now :smile: ill just have to try and hope.

Quick Reply

Latest