The Student Room Group

Friends are not supportive when it comes to businesses

Hi everyone. I've been feeling down recently even though I don't try and let it get to me. I'm a 20 year old female, who has recently started a side hustle and I put a lot of time and dedication into it.

I never post or tell anyone what I do until AFTER I get results. However, I wanted to offer free help to the people I know, so I posted on social media for the first time, I've been making income by doing this, if you want to learn more, let me know etc.

Nobody has asked for help and cool they might not be interested. But none of my friends, even best friends messaged or popped up and said congratulations or I'm proud of you especially since I NEVER post about anything relating to business. It's just an upsetting feeling. I'm not begging for their attention but it really shows who actually supports you and who doesn't.

Am I overreacting?
I think you are overvaluing feedback from social media platforms - whether from people you know or not.

Have you actually ever sat down and had a conversation with these friends about it?
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I think you are overvaluing feedback from social media platforms - whether from people you know or not.

Have you actually ever sat down and had a conversation with these friends about it?

They never ask about it. They never seem interested. They just think it's something I do for fun for like 10 minutes when really and truly I love it.
Original post by Anonymous
They never ask about it. They never seem interested. They just think it's something I do for fun for like 10 minutes when really and truly I love it.

Ok, but did you actually initiate a conversation about it? Did you ever say "I've been doing this, what do you think?" or similar? You can't just wait for someone to engage with you on something - especially since you note that you never bring it up to start with! For all you know, they are taking you not bringing it up as a sign it's not something important to you and therefore not something they would ask about.

Also I'd note that in general a lot of people are not really primed to talk about their work anyway. Most people see work as a necessary evil to do the things they enjoy doing for non-financial reasons. Most people would also be primed to talk about their mutual interests with their friends, which are usually non-work ones. Also just because it's something you are interested in doesn't mean it's something they would be or are interested in as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending