Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bravery
Hi

A friends was telling me the other day that if you fail a single module you will not graduate with honours I was wondering if this is true, if it is not true under what circumstances will you not graduate with honours.

Its true, you cannot graduate with honours without retaking the failed module.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
MrMat18
Its true, you cannot graduate with honours without retaking the failed module.

but if you cannot retake the module as you have passed the year will that mean you graduate without honours
Bravery
but if you cannot retake the module as you have passed the year will that mean you graduate without honours

You generally have to pass everything to pass the year (although it's a bit more complicated than that due to compensatable fails/soft fails), so generally even if your overall average was above 40%, you'd need to resit the modules you failed.
Reply 4
yeh but if you get a soft fail does that also mean you dont get honours?
Reply 5
Bravery

If you soft failed a module, but still progressed the year, you will still get honours.
Reply 6
geoff_yin
If you soft failed a module, but still progressed the year, you will still get honours.

Thank you for your help, I would rep but its pretty pointless lol
Reply 7
Bravery

Well I was told if we failed anything we didn't get an honours, thats was at the start of this year. But might just be my university, they are rather strict with most things, especially with assigment deadlines - Capped at 40% even if its a minute late :O. Thankfully all mine have been on time so far.
Reply 8
Oh ok i was asking specifically for nottingham tho
Reply 9
Bravery
Thank you for your help, I would rep but its pretty pointless lol

No worries.
Reply 10
Bravery
Oh ok i was asking specifically for nottingham tho

Yea I just realised that, sorry:biggrin:
Reply 11
Bravery
Hi

A friends was telling me the other day that if you fail a single module you will not graduate with honours I was wondering if this is true, if it is not true under what circumstances will you not graduate with honours.

Read this.
Reply 12
You can still get honours if you fail a module.
Reply 13
Essentially then, if you do enough to progress year-on-year then you get honours? It doesn't necessarily matter if you fail a module as long as you meet the progression requirements?
Reply 14
Barny
Essentially then, if you do enough to progress year-on-year then you get honours? It doesn't necessarily matter if you fail a module as long as you meet the progression requirements?

Afaik :yep:

Since there are quite a lot of people who had to do retakes (like me...), so if ALL of them didn't get an honours degree, that would be a bit strange. It could be a person who got like an overall of 60%, but got 39% in one module and had to retake it and ended up not getting an honours? I don't think so.
Reply 15
That was first year though right? I was thinking maybe it's different for second year onwards, obviously not. I only ask because I am certain to fail Electromagnetism 1 on Thursday. Absolutely horrific module.
Reply 16
Barny
That was first year though right? I was thinking maybe it's different for second year onwards, obviously not. I only ask because I am certain to fail Electromagnetism 1 on Thursday. Absolutely horrific module.

I'm not absolutely certain for subjects that isn't Economics...

But it will be the same for second year.

It's only if you fail a lot of credits in year three that you will be 'demoted' to an ordinary degree, if that...
Reply 17
Ahh I see, that's slightly reassuring. Hows the revision going?
Reply 18
Barny

I failed that one. Does Maxwell still teach it?
Reply 19
Barny
Ahh I see, that's slightly reassuring. Hows the revision going?

Yeah not too bad thanks. I've got one exam out of the way which was the most important of the five I'm taking, and that went pretty well. I've got one in about four hours - just need to read through my notes. Hopefully I'll be OK.

How about you?

Latest

Trending

Trending