The Student Room Group

Condoms breaking

Hey,

I had sex with my girlfriend for the first time 2 days ago. After a couple of minutes we changed position and saw that the condom was still intact. A minute or less later, I pulled out and saw that the condom was broken.
We got the morning after pill the next morning.

We've just had sex again and I felt the condom break after about 20 minutes. I pulled out immediately. We're using Durex Extra safe.

My 2 questions are:
1) Does the pill still cover against any chance of pregnancy seeing as the condom broke while having sex a day after having taken it?
2) Has anyone had any problems with durex extra safe? we're both new to sex but we are sure it was on correctly before starting.

thank you very much for any responses, any other advice muchly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Can't answer the morning after pill question.

If you're both still new to having sex are you sure there's enough lubrication? Condoms can break if there's too much friction, could be the reason?
Reply 2
Extra safe condoms are thicker, this means that more friction is produced and there is more chance of breaking them. A condom such as mates natural, with spermicide would probably work better. Extra safe condoms arent actually that much "extra safe" they only contain small amounts of spermicide.

If you really want to be safe, then if your gf is not already on the pill you could ask her as it is very effective especially when used in conjunction with a condom.

Sorry i cant help about the MAP question
Did you actually cum inside her on either of those occasions?

re: the MAP, well it will **** her hormones up for some time to come, so yes I imagine it would mean she can't get pregnant for a little while. Probably not until a month or two later, if I had to guess - once her cycle settles back down.
If your both new to sex it may be nerves makingyour gf less lubricated down there or it may be that she is having a reaction to it making lubrication hard to produce, i sometimes have that problem which makes more friction down there.

It may also be because they are too small for your penis or too big, you need to get the right size condoms to fit to make sure they do not break.

me and my bf have been using condoms for nearly three years now and have never had one break.

Also are you sure you are putting it on correctly coz that could be a cause.
Hmm. She needs to read the booklet that came with the MAP. I had to take it a few weeks ago and it did say something about if you had sex again and needed the pill again so soon after taking it the first time. So get your girlfriend to read up on that and it will tell you :smile:

Hmm if you're struggling with condoms and you both get checked out for STD's can't your girlfriend just go on the contraception pill? Makes life sooo much easier lol
Reply 6
Make sure your putting them on correctly.

Good luck
Reply 7
I do think it's possible you're not putting it on correctly. It's usually pretty difficult to get a condom to break, even if you're being rough.
ensure your not putting it on inside out!
Reply 9
no...the MAP will not work for the sex you had again... got told by gp... so maybe you should go and get another one...?
and my gp also advised strongly to go on the pill
pregnancy with condom 300/1000
with pill 1/1000

apparently tahts what GP told me.. so yeah...
pillow
no...the MAP will not work for the sex you had again... got told by gp... so maybe you should go and get another one...?
and my gp also advised strongly to go on the pill
pregnancy with condom 300/1000
with pill 1/1000

apparently tahts what GP told me.. so yeah...

did he explain what those fractions actually mean. For example, is it meant to say that sex with a condom will lead to pregnancy in 300/1000 = 30% of instances?
I doubt even unprotected sex causes pregnancy that often.
wellisntitfor
did he explain what those fractions actually mean. For example, is it meant to say that sex with a condom will lead to pregnancy in 300/1000 = 30% of instances?

If used perfectly, its reliability rate is 98%, but in more general use, its around 88-90% effective.
wellisntitfor

Lyndon1504
If used perfectly, its reliability rate is 98%, but in more general use, its around 88-90% effective

The statistics such as '98% effective' are used to describe a year of typical useage.

They say that if a couple use no protection, 80-90% of women will get pregnant in a year.

If a couple use condoms, 2% (or more if used incorrectly) will get pregnant in a year.
Reply 13
wellisntitfor

the gp was a SHE lol
and she said sex with a condom and it splitting the chances of pregnancy is 300 in 1000 people...
i think unprotected will cause pregnancy more often than that considering that number isnt that high... but it is high if ur using condoms if that makes any sense...

and chances of pregnancy with people who are on pill is 1/1000
pillow
the gp was a SHE lol
and she said sex with a condom and it splitting the chances of pregnancy is 300 in 1000 people...
i think unprotected will cause pregnancy more often than that considering that number isnt that high... but it is high if ur using condoms if that makes any sense...

and chances of pregnancy with people who are on pill is 1/1000

Right, condom and it splitting? You didn't say that before. Seems a werid statistic to give, anyway.
In any case, you didn't clarify what *she* actually meant. Diamondsky99's explanation that the % failiure rates are in terms of couples per year who will fall pregnant while using that method of contraception, makes a lot of sense. The stats you mentioned don't seem to really fit that, thoiugh. I suspect the GP pulled them out of thin air... seriously.
Reply 15
One of my exes had a habit of breaking condoms because she wasn't very wet - ever - she just wasn't a very wet person. She went on the pill and it solved our problems. Every other girl i've been with was wetter and had no problems with condoms even with really crazy sex.
Are you using vaseline, just a random question?
Reply 17
wellisntitfor
Right, condom and it splitting? You didn't say that before. Seems a werid statistic to give, anyway.
In any case, you didn't clarify what *she* actually meant. Diamondsky99's explanation that the % failiure rates are in terms of couples per year who will fall pregnant while using that method of contraception, makes a lot of sense. The stats you mentioned don't seem to really fit that, thoiugh. I suspect the GP pulled them out of thin air... seriously.

lalalala :eek3:
ok wierd stats wierd stats! i never said they were correct , just what i got told:eek3: jeez... sorry im not a condom splitting expert

maybe she did pull em out of thin air? who knows? :eek3:
Reply 18
You could be putting them on inside out I suppose, can't see any reason why they would break frequently otherwise. Extra safe are about three metres thick aren't they :p:?
Reply 19
do you or her use body lotion or cream anywhere on your intimates? or your hands? before putting the condom on, i mean? do you use lube? if so: is it latex-safe? if not: try some! be sure not to poke it with your fingernails. be sure to roll it down correctly, as others thave suggested.

Quick Reply

Latest