The Student Room Group

women, what would be the age you would expect to have first and last kids, ideally ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Chillaxer
Estimate. I'm curious, it's for personal/research purposes.

Well I only want two, I'd say about 29/30 and 32/33. That gives me time to have my finances in order for myself and for them, build up a decent carrer base, etc.
I'd like to see the world before I settle down to have a job and a family, so probably 28-40.. I wouldn't want to be a young mum, I'm far too selfish.
Reply 22
Original post by evantej
You can tell those who have replied so far are middle class...

So you reckon a working class chick would be prepared to have them younger?
Reply 23
26-36.. ish
Reply 24
What do you think re the property situation and how that ties in with kids.

See, I'd feel better having decent sized, owned property to bring up kids(impossible in my circumstances and these hopuse prices), I can't be getting by in a small flat and bringing up even one child, and I'm not sure I want to take handouts off the parents.

To be honest, I've never specifically thought about the house. I've always said I won't have kids untill am I in a settled relationship (preferably married) and I'm financially secure enough to bring up children. I assume that at least a 2 bedroom house will come with the financial and marriage security. Writing this now makes me realise I am a looong way off this point!
Reply 25
Around 33-35 I think.
Reply 26
Original post by doodle7
To be honest, I've never specifically thought about the house. I've always said I won't have kids untill am I in a settled relationship (preferably married) and I'm financially secure enough to bring up children. I assume that at least a 2 bedroom house will come with the financial and marriage security. Writing this now makes me realise I am a looong way off this point!

I've not got much money. Plus I'd rather my partner didn't have ot too hold for health risks, so really I think I might manage one financially and otherwise. I suppose you don't need a huge place for just one kid.
Reply 27
I've not got much money. Plus I'd rather my partner didn't have ot too hold for health risks, so really I think I might manage one financially and otherwise. I suppose you don't need a huge place for just one kid.

Health risks don't really start until after 35, and even then you can have a perfectly healthy baby.

No you don't, but it depends what lifestyle you want them to have. I've had a more advantaged lifestyle than most I guess, and I'd want my kids to have that and more, so I'd want to build up trust funds for them, money for their boarding schools/uni, and have a nicely sized house first.

Also, my career is very important to me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by .Ali.
Health risks don't really start until after 35, and even then you can have a perfectly healthy baby.

No you don't, but it depends what lifestyle you want them to have. I've had a more advantaged lifestyle than most I guess, and I'd want my kids to have that and more, so I'd want to build up trust funds for them, money for their boarding schools/uni, and have a nicely sized house first.

Also, my career is very important to me.

No, I know the risks don't majorly go up. But it's just reserach suggests it's ideal for them to have them slightly younger than they are, like before the 30-35 zone, although that zone is ok too, for the absolute optimum fertility and health for the baby.. I know that psychologicaly, economic factors etc also matter.

I suppose it may well be that I could have a younger partner, because some women are looking for that more than men want an older partner, and also, like the guy says, working class women tend to have babies younger.
I hope to have my first child at around 27. Hoping to get pregnant now TBH. We only want 2 max, so last child no later than around 31. Husband would be 29 for the first and 33 for the last.
Reply 30
No, I know the risks don't majorly go up. But it's just reserach suggests it's ideal for them to have them slightly younger than they are, like before the 30-35 zone, although that zone is ok too, for the absolute optimum fertility and health for the baby.. I know that psychologicaly, economic factors etc also matter.

I suppose it may well be that I could have a younger partner, because some women are looking for that more than men want an older partner, and also, like the guy says, working class women tend to have babies younger.

I suppose, it's all personal choice, I think the optimum age is 26 or something. For me that would be impractical, as I plan to stay in uni until I'm 23, so I wouldn't have enough time to sort out their future financial arrangements. But each to their own. :smile:
A lot of women are saying that, but why is career so important? (just wondered cos I work to live not vice versa)

My first around 26-28; my last around 35.

He'll be 39 when I'm 35, and he'll be 60 when that last kid leaves university.
And he'll be 85-90 when our last kid has their kids.

I would love for both of us to have at least a bit of time with our grand children, as I never saw either of mine. So it's not just for us - it's for our grand children too... I would love to have met my grand parents :frown:

Also, the average age for menopause to happen is like 50. If I had a girl at 34, she'd be 16 when I'm 50. Major hormonal clash = bad LOL.

---

It's important to take into consideration how many children people would like to fully account for the "last" age, since they have to be one year apart and most woman would probably not want to be in labour for consecutive years lol. Also, you would presumably have to plan your finances further for more than one child.

I'm not worried about my career so much - I love kids and it would make me ecstatic to have kids with my husband. When i'm 26, i'd've worked for ~5 years and he would have worked for ~7.

Of course I aim to be able to somewhat support myself financially by the time I am that age - and I would have a husband to help me with that. We do not need to live really luxurious lives. My quality of life is affected greatly by the happiness I receive by those around me and the freedom of doing what I want to do - instead of how much I earn. That said, earning a lot will also bring me happiness, but it is a different kind.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
First-38
Last-38
Twins, hopefully
Reply 33
So you reckon a working class chick would be prepared to have them younger?

It is not so much about the working classes to be honest; the behaviour seems tied exclusively to the middle classes. The under, lower and upper classes would not see having a child as a lifestyle choice, or having a child in their thirties as normal; in this respect I can at least admire Farmboy_Pip for her honesty.

From an upper-class perspective (just to give some examples), the Queen had Prince Charles when she was 22, Princess Anne when she was 24 etc., etc.. In addition, Princess Diana had Prince William when she was just into her twenties, and Prince Harry two years later.

I will personally be having my first child next year, and I have just turned 23. My mother was 20 when she had me.
Reply 34
Don't really want kids, but earliest I suppose is about 27 ish, latest is about 34.
Original post by evantej
The under, lower and upper classes would not see having a child as a lifestyle choice, or having a child in their thirties as normal.

Just curious as I am not too clear on the definitions or boundaries of under, working/lower, middle and upper classes; why would the other classes not see having a child as a lifestyle choice? Could you explain for me? I'm interested. xD
Reply 36
first - 28
last - 35
Reply 37
Original post by evantej
It is not so much about the working classes to be honest; the behaviour seems tied exclusively to the middle classes. The under, lower and upper classes would not see having a child as a lifestyle choice, or having a child in their thirties as normal; in this respect I can at least admire Farmboy_Pip for her honesty.

From an upper-class perspective (just to give some examples), the Queen had Prince Charles when she was 22, Princess Anne when she was 24 etc., etc.. In addition, Princess Diana had Prince William when she was just into her twenties, and Prince Harry two years later.

I will personally be having my first child next year, and I have just turned 23. My mother was 20 when she had me.

So, you think that people were rich in the Middle Ages since they had their children when they were 15?
Reply 38
Original post by egn
So, you think that people were rich in the Middle Ages since they had their children when they were 15?

Your comment makes no sense at all.

If you are talking about the poor having children young then your comment is irrelevant. If you are talking about the rich having children young then the age of the mother is irrelevant in terms of finance; the upper classes were (and still are) concerned with the age of the mother for other reasons. They believed it was the best time to have children and, heaven forbid, one of the partners was infertile it would give them plenty of time to address the problem. The continuation of the bloodline was the most significant thing to the upper classes.
Reply 39
Original post by Chelle-belle
Just curious as I am not too clear on the definitions or boundaries of under, working/lower, middle and upper classes; why would the other classes not see having a child as a lifestyle choice? Could you explain for me? I'm interested. xD

The under and working classes do not see having a child as a lifestyle choice because they are denied these lifestyle opportunities in the first place; home ownership and higher education are not an issues for the under and working classes, for example. They do not feel as if having a child 'too early' would mean they were missing out on anything.

The upper class would not see having a child as a lifestyle choice because they are not restricted financially; the emphasis and reasoning for having a child shifts completely. Instead of seeing a child as some sort of mortgage like the middle classes do, something they cannot do until they have a career and mortgage, the upper classes have children to continue their bloodline and, typically, have children as early as possible for biological and hereditary reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending