The Student Room Group

Why do so many people take MDMA?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WarmEye
So what constitutes as an amazing night? If you have no control over yourself you could easily land yourself into a lot of trouble, i.e fighting someone or injuring yourself really badly...

You don't lose control of yourself. You're passing (in)correct comment on something you have no knowledge of.

Chill. Take a pill.
Reply 81
Original post by BellaBoo

As other people have said, it's fun. Tbh i don't see the problem with it. I don't understand how alcohol is so accepted in society, yet drugs like E and Coke aren't! I mean, is there really any difference? I've taken all three and i can honestly say that the worse effects have been from alcohol. Personally i think E, Coke and cannabis should be made legal. It'd be a lot safer.

I wouldnt really put coke and cannabis in the same category, they are quite different. Coke can be quite dangerous and is visciously addictive. Cannabis is practically harmless compared to other legal substances.

Interesting fact - Out of all substances, pure Heroin is actually the least harmful of all as it does no lasting damage on your body or brain at all...Although it is severly physically addictive.
Reply 82
Original post by insignificant
Do not take me for a mug, I'm going out with someone who has been smoking weed for the past 6 years everyday of his life, and I understand that the need for relaxation is paramount, but I think it's bad, and even he agrees that he can't relax without having a zut, I think you should be able to relax yourself in other ways.

This does not address what I posted in response to your ridiculous post earlier in the thread. Why should the fact your partner can't control himself impinge on my life in any way? Clearly the fact it is illegal has been lost on him. Perhaps he could have had a decent amount of help had cannabis been legalised and taxed.
Reply 83
Original post by profoflife
You'll do very well to get pills that have any decent amount of MDMA in them. People would do more MDMA if they could get hold of it, its a matter of supply as its more difficult to get. Also worth mentioning that all MDMA is now synthetic where it used to be naturally prodcued in Holland. It is now illgal there so its manufactured.

MDMA is supposed to be the only ingredient in pills (apart from the binding chemicals) but pills are full of all sorts of crap, caffine, speed, and normally some very suspiscious other stuff as well. :smile:

MDMA is just as likely to be cut... How does one naturally produce MDMA I wonder? I'm pretty sure it has required a lab ever since Alex Shulgin re-discovered it in the 70s...
Original post by WarmEye
I wanna take it, not sure if I should though.

I'm not aware of anyone who spent their life wishing they had done fewr things.

Like any experience, don't do it on your own.

You try most things once. There are obviously exceptions to this. MDMA is undoubtedly safer than most other drugs, both legal and illegal.

It's a pretty amazing experience but if you don't enjoy it at least you tried it. Nothing annoys me more in life than people saying something is awful/terrible/destroying society yet have never tried anything themselves.

And to those out there who don't drink/smoke/take drugs/have caffeineted drinks etc. what the hell do you actually do?
Original post by a_t
Not really, people might start to take a lot of it because they really like it, its not like crack or heroin, and its not physiologically addictive, any addiction would be purely psychological

Crack addiction is only psychological and that is bad.
Reply 86
Yuppie coke users...interesting!

I agree, some students just take drugs because every else is and then they stop after as you say. Some will continue, but it has little to do where they are. People who use will always find other people, regardless of where they are.

By working class users are you referring to people that havent been to uni? Im unaware of any people that have not been to uni being outcast for dabbling....i know a few.

The biggest obstacle in overcome addiction or habituation is moving away from those who drag you down. Sure if you want to keep using you will find new contacts when you move, but most of them wanted to stop and did. The 2 things something needs to be addictive are 1) enjoyable and repeatable regularly, and 2) available. A lot of people on my old estate who decided they wanted to use drugs were outcast, into a completely different subsection.
MDMA is for pussies, real men take heroin.
Reply 88
Original post by Shaun1991
MDMA is for pussies, real men take heroin.

MDMA for the up, skag for the down?
Reply 89
I wouldnt really put coke and cannabis in the same category, they are quite different. Coke can be quite dangerous and is visciously addictive. Cannabis is practically harmless compared to other legal substances.

Interesting fact - Out of all substances, pure Heroin is actually the least harmful of all as it does no lasting damage on your body or brain at all...Although it is severly physically addictive.

I see where you're coming from, but tbh i don't think Coke is physically addictive (at least it's not for anyone i know) and as i said, i think there's a higher chance of someone getting pissed on alcohol and choking on their own vomit and dying than of someone dying from taking the odd line of Coke. I just hate the way that people who take Coke are stigmatised in society, i think it's a really misunderstood drug.

Wow, i didn't know that about heroin. That's always been the one thing that i would genuinely be afraid to touch.
Reply 90
Original post by Elipsis

Original post by Elipsis
MDMA is just as likely to be cut... How does one naturally produce MDMA I wonder? I'm pretty sure it has required a lab ever since Alex Shulgin re-discovered it in the 70s...

its good youve been doing your research....it used to be produced legally is what i meant, i.e no need to be cut, i.e not synthetic. It should be orange in colour, not grey/orange like you might find now.
Original post by Elipsis
MDMA for the up, skag for the down?

Nah, just chase the dragon for a good 4 hours until your skin turns blue.
Reply 92
Original post by Elipsis

Original post by Elipsis
The biggest obstacle in overcome addiction or habituation is moving away from those who drag you down. Sure if you want to keep using you will find new contacts when you move, but most of them wanted to stop and did. The 2 things something needs to be addictive are 1) enjoyable and repeatable regularly, and 2) available. A lot of people on my old estate who decided they wanted to use drugs were outcast, into a completely different subsection.

horses for course mate - depends on where you are, who you are, who you're with etc. My experiences and knowledge are different.

In general the outcomes are the some though.
Reply 93
As other people have said, it's fun. Tbh i don't see the problem with it. I don't understand how alcohol is so accepted in society, yet drugs like E and Coke aren't! I mean, is there really any difference? I've taken all three and i can honestly say that the worse effects have been from alcohol. Personally i think E, Coke and cannabis should be made legal. It'd be a lot safer.

Much rather see a safer drug that causes less social problems.. Heroin meets the criteria compared to coke.

Fact is if people snorted what they do now if it was legal and pure they would die instantly. Anything over a gram of pure coke will give you a severe heart attack, an estimate by some doctors but that is nothing compared to the overdose limit of most other recreational drugs.

Ive seen someone do about a .3 line of peruvian flake (which cost him £120 a
gram,) collapse and get rushed to hospital and he now has heart problems.

It is not safe, it is not fun and it is not even a good drug. The crap on the streets is just caffeine/pro plus a bit of coke that keeps you awake and makes you more aggressive especially if you drink which most people do and the pure stuff does the same with a severe face numbing effect and ease of overdose.

Horrible ****, if anything i would make punishment for it harsher if we had a drugs reform.

Cannibis however should be legal, most people wont choose to smoke or grow the super strength lemon peng diesel cheese that knocks you out, i would prefer a nice mellow high not a hysterical brain melting explosion :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 94
its good youve been doing your research....it used to be produced legally is what i meant, i.e no need to be cut, i.e not synthetic. It should be orange in colour, not grey/orange like you might find now.

It can be any variety of colours, depending on the route of synthesis and the impurities that are left behind. It can also be treated in different ways after synthesis to prevent deterioration for longer. It always has been and always will be synthetic though.
Reply 95
I hate that everyone does MD now mephedrone has gone, I remember when you used to have to explain to people what it was. And yeah, the first few times on it are so intensely good, alcohol is no comparison but as has been stated, the more you do it the less special it becomes.
Reply 96
I see where you're coming from, but tbh i don't think Coke is physically addictive (at least it's not for anyone i know) and as i said, i think there's a higher chance of someone getting pissed on alcohol and choking on their own vomit and dying than of someone dying from taking the odd line of Coke. I just hate the way that people who take Coke are stigmatised in society, i think it's a really misunderstood drug.

Wow, i didn't know that about heroin. That's always been the one thing that i would genuinely be afraid to touch.

I would say to compare getting pissed and choking on your own vomit is equivalent to having a couple of grams of coke in one night....which is quite a lot and would see you climbing up the walls...after a few lines you will want more and this will continue.....then you cant sleep or think straight.....and you need more, and more and potentially having a cardiac arrest....as i said, it can get quite messy and needs to be managed carefully like all things, including alcohol.

I agree that there is a stigma associated with all drugs and the people that take them. You would be surprised at the type of people who take various drugs, it would surprise many.
Reply 97
Original post by Elipsis
As humans we aren't meant to travel at 70mph naturally... Usually that is reserved for Cheetahs. Does that mean you don't get in cars or on trains? Do you also shun conventional medicine? I mean the risks of MDMA are no where near the risks of painkillers, which 99.9% of people find themselves on during their life time. I'm guessing you don't take paracetamol when you're in agony? The whole nature vs synthetic argument is bs, you need to assess each substance on its own merits. For instance I doubt if given the choice you'd decide to take some hemlock over mdma... but wait hemlock is all natural :wink:. At the end of the day nothing in our modern existence is natural.

I wish people would stop posting these arguments of "but but medicine!"

Clearly, I'm referring to recreational drug ue.
Reply 98
Original post by EggmanD
Much rather see a safer drug that causes less social problems.. Heroin meets the criteria compared to coke.

Fact is if people snorted what they do now if it was legal and pure they would die instantly. Anything over a gram of pure coke will give you a severe heart attack, an estimate by some doctors but that is nothing compared to the overdose limit of most other recreational drugs.

Ive seen someone do about a .3 line of peruvian flake (which cost him £120 a
gram,) collapse and get rushed to hospital and he now has heart problems.

It is not safe, it is not fun and it is not even a good drug. The crap on the streets is just caffeine/pro plus a bit of coke that keeps you awake and makes you more aggressive especially if you drink which most people do and the pure stuff does the same with a severe face numbing effect and ease of overdose.

Horrible ****, if anything i would make punishment for it harsher if we had a drugs reform.

Cannibis however should be legal, most people wont choose to smoke or grow the super strength lemon peng diesel cheese that knocks you out, i would prefer a nice mellow high not a hysterical brain melting explosion :smile:

Meh, i can only go on experiance. I'm not a drugs expert so tbh i don't know how "pure" the stuff i've taken in the past is-but i can say that it's never made me aggresive, and in general helps me manage my alcohol better (i appear far less drunk when taking coke with alcohol than when i just drink on its own.) To be honest, the only negative effect i've ever experienced from taking Coke is a numb nose lol, and slight paranoia one day when i'd taken a bit too much the night before. I can deal with that.
LOL you certainly know a lot about cannabis! I rarely smoke it, but i agree it should be legal.
Reply 99
Original post by DaveSmith99
Pills and MDMA are the same thing.

Maybe 20-30 years ago they were but definately in the last 10-15 years, pills are predominantly speed. That's why people use the word MDMA to distinguish them. Also, most people who do proper MDMA do it as a powder.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending