The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Sky Player Desktop anyone?

Heyy, I was just wondering if anyone uses sky player desktop?

I'm in broadgate park and ever since I've been there, I've never been able to download programmes. I just thought I'd set something up wrong or maybe it just didn't work on my laptop but I've come home today and found that it works fine here.

Is it the uni blocking me from downloading things? Which would be strange though because iplayer desktop works fine :smile:

Anyone got any ideas? :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Ian80

I'm in broadgate park and ever since I've been there, I've never been able to download programmes. I just thought I'd set something up wrong or maybe it just didn't work on my laptop but I've come home today and found that it works fine here.

Is it the uni blocking me from downloading things? Which would be strange though because iplayer desktop works fine :smile:

IS won't be [deliberately] blocking you from downloading programmes using Sky Player - see http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/is/connect/sns/supportedunsupportedandbannedapplications.aspx :smile:

Does it give any sort of error? It may be that you need to set up a proxy server for it to use. If you can find somewhere to enter these details, they're available @ http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/is/connect/sns/settingupyourwebbrowser.aspx
(edited 13 years ago)
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Ian80

Doesn't work for me either, très annoying :mad:.

Can you watch on-demand stuff using the online player at all? Live tv works fine for me but on-demand stuff won't load.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Silly_Wabbit
Doesn't work for me either, très annoying :mad:.

Can you watch on-demand stuff using the online player at all? Live tv works fine for me but on-demand stuff won't load.

Yeah, I can watch stuff on demand most of the time.
Although films are a bit of a hit and miss, it seems like the films I want to watch the most never work, whereas all the others are fine :tongue:
Just got back and it doesn't work again :frown:
Its because the university's network is ****. You are probably not getting enough bandwith at uni for your internet to function fully.
Reply 6
It's not to do with bandwith. It depends how the content is delivered. Basically, if something uses peer-to-peer to deliver the download then chances are that it will not work.

http://blogs.nottingham.ac.uk/sns/
Its just sad because I thought it work the same as iplayer, apparently not :frown:
And when I stream sky player it usually works too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending