The Student Room Group

Mom - daughter conversation - normal?

I have no idea how to address this thread but here it goes.
I've been living in London for the past 3 months, and I'm staying here for at least 4 years (studying at uni, starting next year), while my family is in another country.
I talk to my mom occasionally over Skype. I was never too emotionally attached to my mom and we never had that good "mother daughter" relationship, but when I talk to her she's typing like she's talking to a 6, not 20 year old!

I clicked her today and she started the conversation with:"Mickey mouse! hi!" I have no idea where that came from. She NEVER speaks like that.
When I told her what's going on and the usuals bla bla, she said:"My big big big girl!". (those were her exact words) It really bugged me. And she says other typical stuff that might indicate that she still thinks of me as a child and not someone who has her own life...
I know it's probably "love" stuff but it sounds so weird to me. I know I'm still her daughter and all but can't a parent just talk to their child like an equal once they grow up?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
She misses you :h:
(edited 13 years ago)
To her you'll always be her little girl. I can sort of relate, my cousin is 9 now but it feels like just yesterday he was a tiny baby. To this day I still call him my baby, and even when he's 16, he'll STILL be my baby cousin.
Original post by Torrchy
I have no idea how to address this thread but here it goes.
I've been living in London for the past 3 months, and I'm staying here for at least 4 years (studying at uni, starting next year), while my family is in another country.
I talk to my mom occasionally over Skype. I was never too emotionally attached to my mom and we never had that good "mother daughter" relationship, but when I talk to her she's typing like she's talking to a 6, not 20 year old!

I clicked her today and she started the conversation with:"Mickey mouse! hi!" I have no idea where that came from. She NEVER speaks like that.
When I told her what's going on and the usuals bla bla, she said:"My big big big girl!". (those were her exact words) It really bugged me. And she says other typical stuff that might indicate that she still thinks of me as a child and not someone who has her own life...
I know it's probably "love" stuff but it sounds so weird to me. I know I'm still her daughter and all but can't a parent just talk to their child like an equal once they grow up?

Her particular language is a bit odd, maybe she's just worried about you though.

In general however: no. Until they day one of you dies you will always be their child, they will never see you as an equal because hey will always remember you being absolutely dependent in them. No one ever grows up enough to stop being their parent's "ickle baba" as my mum puts it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Roo Bix
She misses you :h:

This. And maybe thats her way of reminding herself that she has a little girl in the world, even though shes far away and doing her own thing. She might be going about it the wrong way but I dont think taking a "I'm not a little girl anymore!" attitude is the right way to handle this....be happy that your mum cares about you lots :smile: you're never too old to have a mum!!
Did you show for each other on cam?
Reply 6
She just misses you now that you have flown the nest and are so independent.
Reply 7
Original post by TheRealDarthVader
Did you show for each other on cam?

We do. We talk about maybe once a week, or once every two weeks, depends on how much time we have.

Thanks guys. I know she loves me and all but just her use of words bugs me so much. And I do try to just go along with it and all but it's just weird.
Original post by Torrchy
We do. We talk about maybe once a week, or once every two weeks, depends on how much time we have.

Thanks guys. I know she loves me and all but just her use of words bugs me so much. And I do try to just go along with it and all but it's just weird.

I think you have a very special relationship. :smile:
Reply 9
Maybe she was drunk.

I never really talk to my mum when I'm at Uni. She's called me once this whole semester... I know I could call her but it's expensive so I said she's welcome to call me whenever... We email every now and then, which is sufficient I guess.
Reply 10
I have the same sort of issue, my mum just doesn't seem to understand that I can make decisions for myself, she treats me like a child who doesn't know anything.

Is this just what parents are all like?
Reply 11
It's not that weird :smile: My dad and I had a rather unpleasant, cold relationship until I went to uni and now he talks like that all the time! Perhaps it's easier for her to show that kind of affection because you're further away.
She misses you.
Even if you live to infinity, you will always be your mother's child.
*mum
Reply 15
Original post by Torrchy
"My big big big girl!"

OP's fat!
I'm on my year abroad atm, and my mom misses me unnaturally.
When I went home for a few days she literally wouldn't stop hugging me, I found it all very weird.
Mums pffffft...... you know what THEY are like. my mum is almost the same. im 16 and she acts like im 6. she wont back off sometimes. But you know its just that she loves you and misses you. the odd thing about mine is ..... I still live in the house!!! :lolwut:
My daughter is 5, and I call her guinea pig. I've called her my little guinea pig since she was born. I'm willing to bet that when she's 30 and I'm 51 I'll still call her guinea pig lol.

she'll be my little guinea pig forever :wink:
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
My daughter is 5, and I call her guinea pig. I've called her my little guinea pig since she was born. I'm willing to bet that when she's 30 and I'm 51 I'll still call her guinea pig lol.

she'll be my little guinea pig forever :wink:

Damn right she will be. Even when she hits her mid teens and absolutely hates it keep calling her it, she'll appreciate it when she's older :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending