The Student Room Group

Any one here ever changed their name by deed poll?

I've been thinking of changing my birth name to something a bit cooler. The two I like the most are "Axel Rage" and "Carl Breeze".

Has any one here changed their name by deed poll before? If so why? And could you tell what your name was before and what it is now? Was it worth it? How is life now compared to before.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Poll, not pole.

I imagine if your name is Mohammed and you're struggling to get employed in Oxford, it might make a fair bit of a difference. Otherwise - so what?
Reply 2
If your proposed new names are cooler than your current name, your parents must have absolutely hated you/been drunk when you were born.
Mine is now Crap Bag

:awesome:
Reply 4
Original post by Casshern
I've been thinking of changing my birth name to something a bit cooler. The two I like the most are "Axel Rage" and "Carl Breeze".

Has any one here changed their name by deed pole before? If so why? And could you tell what your name was before and what it is now? Was it worth it? How is life now compared to before.

I was considering changing my last name to my mother's maiden name from my dad's last name after they split up, as I no longer see my dad and don't want to share a name with him but it would be too much hassle, I'm going to wait until I get married.

To be honest if you were applying for a serious job and the interviewers saw the name Axel Rage they probably wouldn't be able to take you seriously, especially if you chose the name yourself.
Original post by spacepirate-James
Mine is now Crap Bag

:awesome:

And mine's Princess Consuela Banana Hammock :awesome:

My best friend changed her surname when she was 18 to her stepdad's name, because he'd been more of a father to her than her biological dad.
Reply 6
Original post by NeonSkies
I was considering changing my last name to my mother's maiden name from my dad's last name after they split up, as I no longer see my dad and don't want to share a name with him but it would be too much hassle, I'm going to wait until I get married.

To be honest if you were applying for a serious job and the interviewers saw the name Axel Rage they probably wouldn't be able to take you seriously, especially if you chose the name yourself.

Yes you are right lol. I was thinking of changing my surname to my mum's maiden name also. It is a lot of hassle though. But I want to do it cause it's a cooler name. I am not sure if I am brave enough to go for a full name change like I suggested.
Reply 7
Yes you are right lol. I was thinking of changing my surname to my mum's maiden name also. It is a lot of hassle though. But I want to do it cause it's a cooler name. I am not sure if I am brave enough to go for a full name change like I suggested.

It's hardly hassle. Just fill out a form and pay £32. Done. Within 24 hours I've heard.
Is it really only £33? Money well spent :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by rylit91
It's hardly hassle. Just fill out a form and pay £32. Done. Within 24 hours I've heard.

It's not that that is difficult, it's the change in documentation that takes the time, you have to inform the inland revenue, companies you pay bills to, change your passport etc. so it can get annoying.
Original post by >Anna<
And mine's Princess Consuela Banana Hammock :awesome:

My best friend changed her surname when she was 18 to her stepdad's name, because he'd been more of a father to her than her biological dad.

Thats what I did. In total I have changed my name twice by poll deed, both forename and surname.
Reply 11
Original post by NeonSkies
It's not that that is difficult, it's the change in documentation that takes the time, you have to inform the inland revenue, companies you pay bills to, change your passport etc. so it can get annoying.

Yeah, I know. I want to change mine too, so can understand the frustration and inconvenience on that front. Living at home, there's also the added awkwardness of changing one's name (just surname in my case - currently Smith! :frown: ) and one's family feeling upset about it, and asking why you want to do it.
I had my surname changed when I was about 10. It's not really made a massive difference tbh, it was just weird at first...

I'll end up changing my first name if one more Christmas card with the wrong name/spelling comes through, though ¬_¬
My friend changed her name when she turned 18, no problem with it.
Although I'm not telling you her names.
Reply 14
I found out a few months back my dad spelt my name wrong on my birth certificate (he put jonathan instead of jonathon), not a big difference, it took me 21 years before I noticed my passport was spelt wrong lol, I want to change it but Im thinking of changing it to something stupid first for a few months as my mates have offered to pay for it lol. Im thinking Zabor Idontcare
Original post by rylit91
Yeah, I know. I want to change mine too, so can understand the frustration and inconvenience on that front. Living at home, there's also the added awkwardness of changing one's name (just surname in my case - currently Smith! :frown: ) and one's family feeling upset about it, and asking why you want to do it.

Nothing wrong with Smith :smile: but I take your point, it is a very popular surname but don't let that get you down, at least nobody can take the mick out of it or anything!
Change it to None Sense.
Reply 17
Original post by rylit91

yea that's fine. New passport, driving licence, national insurance card, change bank details, inform doctor and dentist, telling people at work, educational certificates, informing uni.... all this would take a lot of time and hassle.
Reply 18
yea that's fine. New passport, driving licence, national insurance card, change bank details, inform doctor and dentist, telling people at work, educational certificates, informing uni.... all this would take a lot of time and hassle.

You write to these places including a copy of the Deed. Set aside an afternoon -done. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by rylit91
You write to these places including a copy of the Deed. Set aside an afternoon -done. :smile:

yea but I think you have to pay for a whole new passport which can take weeks to come through and is expensive. Think you have to pay for new driving license too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending