The Student Room Group

Er...feel too fat to go swimming to lose the fat

Lately I've really wanted to go swimming, not just for exercise but also because I haven't been in ages and enjoy it. Yet I can not bring myself to go because I'm far too self conscious.

I went as far as finding the local sports centre, walking in and having a wander, but I'm even more certain I won't be able to persuade myself to go now. It was pretty empty, with only a few middle aged/old men doing lanes, and a male lifeguard. (I'm female btw). I NEVER wear anything vaguely revealing or tight in public and so a swimming costume in the isolated company of random men, flaying and wobbling around clumsily in water just seems impossible to me. Even if it was women I'd still feel fat and ugly, but the fact they were all men was even more intimidating.

It has only occurred to me now how much guts it takes to do a simple thing like go swimming...am I being overly self conscious?? How does this work - I want to feel comfortable in a swimming costume which can only be done if I actually go swimming which can only be done if I feel comfortable in a swimming costume which...etc.

At the moment I've given up on the idea, but it's a bit of a bummer. I was looking forward to having a sculpted swimmer's figure. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

I would firstly advice you to go regardless of what you think! If the experience goes well then I would continue doing it! actually getting up and going swimming not thinking of others is the hard part as youve mentioned, but when the first leg goes in, till the second comes out ( which went well for you) its easy to keep going without the hassle of worrying too much in later times! HOWEVER ............ if this is not the case I would say that swimming shouldnt be done obviously, there are so many other things to try to lose weight dear, and of course as Im sure you know cardio exercise is the best way to lose pounds! GYM, jogging and walks are very good as well as a healthy diet with good amounts of water! But seriously GYM, from my experience is alot better than swimming, due to the fact that its easier to sweat, there are more and better ways of weight loss with different machines which can meet ur needs unlike a regular swimming pool, but it all depends on what you want to do and how to!
Reply 2
I'm sure there are women only pools/gyms/pool sessions
You probably aren't even that fat. What do you weigh / how tall are you?
Ok, so you want a nice body. You can do other sports....

The confidence thing, well, I don't know. I'm self conscious and feel like a fat slob and refuse to go swimming and I'm 50kg:frown:
Reply 5
if you refuse to overcome it, try other sports and then start going swimming when you feel more confident with your figure
Reply 6
Female-only sessions are only one day of the week, late in the evenings, which isn't convenient for me. Like I said though, I'm not sure I'd feel much better around women.
Reply 7
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
You probably aren't even that fat. What do you weigh / how tall are you?

Weigh 67kg, 173cm.

Was 74kg in the summer, so I've lost a decent amount through just mainly eating well and walking everywhere, but had a humongous weight gain the last couple of years, and my 'normal' weight used to be about 60kg. Even then, I still looked like I needed to lose a bit of weight around my torso area. I have a weird body shape where I don't carry even the slightest bit of extra weight well.

So I think I'm extra embarrassed of my body because it doesn't feel right seeing as I've had a substantial weight gain.
Don't worry, swimming is a good exercise actually but GYM can literally meet your weight goals and make sure you eat healthy as well.
When you go to the pool, don't think about other people there as they are all doing their own thing. Even if its not an all female session.
Reply 9
Thanks 'the greatest' and 'i'm no superman' for lovely replies. I have to say I have an intense dislike of gyms, but I used to go jogging around the local park before I started uni. It's covered in ice right now so not really ideal, but I'd much rather that than running indoors on a conveyer belt.

Maybe I'll set a target of 63kg and say that I'll DEFINITELY go once I reach that weight, however I might feel. I think I'll look okay-ish if I find a swimming costume that claims to suck and lift everything, and semi-succeeds in doing it.
Reply 10
Take a friend?
Reply 11
Wear shorts and a light shirt over your togs at first? I've done this my whole life no matter how skinny I was or how fat I became. I've always had body issues even when thin and I've never been able to wear just togs so it really helps to cover up the main areas that bother you.
Reply 12
I think treadmill and exercise bikes are better for losing weight than swimming... probably the exercise bikes if you're self conscious about 'wobbling' in public.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks 'the greatest' and 'i'm no superman' for lovely replies. I have to say I have an intense dislike of gyms, but I used to go jogging around the local park before I started uni. It's covered in ice right now so not really ideal, but I'd much rather that than running indoors on a conveyer belt.

Maybe I'll set a target of 63kg and say that I'll DEFINITELY go once I reach that weight, however I might feel. I think I'll look okay-ish if I find a swimming costume that claims to suck and lift everything, and semi-succeeds in doing it.

im finding it hard to understand why you think you're fat :lolwut: your bmi is literally nornal so just judging from Id say give yourself a break, because your not fat
:smile:
Weigh 67kg, 173cm.

Was 74kg in the summer, so I've lost a decent amount through just mainly eating well and walking everywhere, but had a humongous weight gain the last couple of years, and my 'normal' weight used to be about 60kg. Even then, I still looked like I needed to lose a bit of weight around my torso area. I have a weird body shape where I don't carry even the slightest bit of extra weight well.

So I think I'm extra embarrassed of my body because it doesn't feel right seeing as I've had a substantial weight gain.

You aren't fat, and I think you'll look fine in a swimming costume. You're being a bit too self conscious. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by clad in armour
im finding it hard to understand why you think you're fat

You're male, she's female.
I remember I felt like this the 1st time I went swimming since I was young, this year. I think quite a lot of people would do. Quite self conscious, especially when there's only a few people at the pool and a male lifeguard, like at yours.

When I managed the confidence to get into the pool though, I realised that no one actually cares. Everyone's just swimming, and concentrating on their own exercise, and the lifeguard probably sees hundreds of people of different sizes and shapes every week anyway.

Just wrap a towel round you, so you can cover yourself up just before and after you're in the pool. If you can't do it, then as others have said, try some cardio in the gym, till you get to the weight and look you'll be comfortable to swim in.
Reply 17
Personally, when I go swimming I don't spend the whole time staring at fat birds. No-one will even notice you.
Reply 18
Lately I've really wanted to go swimming, not just for exercise but also because I haven't been in ages and enjoy it. Yet I can not bring myself to go because I'm far too self conscious.

I went as far as finding the local sports centre, walking in and having a wander, but I'm even more certain I won't be able to persuade myself to go now. It was pretty empty, with only a few middle aged/old men doing lanes, and a male lifeguard. (I'm female btw). I NEVER wear anything vaguely revealing or tight in public and so a swimming costume in the isolated company of random men, flaying and wobbling around clumsily in water just seems impossible to me. Even if it was women I'd still feel fat and ugly, but the fact they were all men was even more intimidating.

It has only occurred to me now how much guts it takes to do a simple thing like go swimming...am I being overly self conscious?? How does this work - I want to feel comfortable in a swimming costume which can only be done if I actually go swimming which can only be done if I feel comfortable in a swimming costume which...etc.

At the moment I've given up on the idea, but it's a bit of a bummer. I was looking forward to having a sculpted swimmer's figure. :frown:

If you're trying to lose the pounds, you'll be better off doing something other than swimming. But if you insist on going for a swim, just go do it..... no need to care what others think and tbh more than likely everyone else will have their own hangups.
Reply 19
Would it be better if most of the people in there were pensioners... cos that's what the early mornings sessions were like when I went to them.

Latest

Trending

Trending