The Student Room Group

Argument with girlfriend - she slapped me.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Melanie-v
I know it's a double standard. Personally, I'd never slap my bf, or anybody really. We see girls slapping guys on TV pretty much everyday though. Right now I can't think of a relationship-based soap that doesn't have some overemotional girl slapping the male lead etc. Maybe that's what she's used to seeing, and it's portrayed as acceptable, becoming such in her mind. I'm not saying it was right. I'm just saying that we're used to girls slapping guys, and it's normally shown as "whatever", whereas other way round it's always shown as "evil, evil, evil".

This is somewhat what I meant to say.

However, her paris rejection has nothing to do with her gender - that's just being ungrateful and inconsiderate.

Yes she has some apologising to do.
That is shockingly ungrateful behaviour. Honestly, if you forgive her once don't be suprised if she does it again. Because this shows the order of what she values, and by the sound of it, your money and efforts don't come very high up.
Slapping is never acceptable. This just sounds like melodramatic behaviour influenced from watching too many tv soaps where it is 'okay' or 'normal' to act like a spoilt stroppy mare.

Honestly, go find a girl who will appreciate your money and efforts and would be able to say to her friend "Sorry I can't make it to your Birthday, my boyfriend has already booked us a trip away and I don't want to miss it".
Not hard to say at all and a decent girlfriend would have said that without a second thought.
Original post by Anonymous
My girlfriend came over this afternoon, thought we'd have a nice day in...until she casually tells me that she's effectively cancelling the plans we'd already made because it's her friends birthday party.

I have booked a trip to paris to stay there for 3 nights and she knows about this plan for a month now. I'm covering all the expenses, it's all coming out of my wallet. Not only am I really disappointed that she's choosing a friend's birthday party over spending a weekend away with me (although I wouldn't mind IF my plan was flexible, which it isn't because it's booked so it has to be cancelled).

She told me I can cancel the bookings, which is true...but then I'm charged a damn cancellation fee from the hotel which is a lot of money, WASTED money! Naturally I got really angry about this and I hated that she's not even considering 1. my feelings and 2. my money!

We started arguing a lot and had a heated exchange and I said "piss off to your friend then I can't stand the sight of you" which I agree was very rude of me but she slapped me across the face for it!!!

I was just shocked and froze, never expected her to do this and she never has in all the time we've been together (it's a long relationship). I was SO angry I was just fuming and I think she got scared just from the look on my face, so I told her to leave before this gets from bad to worse.

She kept ringing and texting after but I switched the phone off and went to sleep so that I can cool off instead of having a slagging match via text.

Now I don't know what to do, I said some bad things but I can't believe she slapped me. I feel so disrespected and although I really love her this is just something I can't let pass. I'm facing the dilemma now, to follow my feelings and forgive her and just put it behind us or to follow my principles and stand up for my dignity by leaving her.

I feel so annoyed that all this has come about from something that should have been a romantic trip away, instead it's led to this disaster.

I really need some advice on how to approach the situation please, would appreciate your views on what would be the right thing to do because I don't want to act irrationally in this anger.

thanks.

Alright man, sorry to bump an old thread but would just like to know what route you eventually took with this?
Reply 163
Reply 164
You should tell her that you will forgive and forget if you are allowed to slap her across the face.
Reply 165
My girlfriend came over this afternoon, thought we'd have a nice day in...until she casually tells me that she's effectively cancelling the plans we'd already made because it's her friends birthday party.

I have booked a trip to paris to stay there for 3 nights and she knows about this plan for a month now. I'm covering all the expenses, it's all coming out of my wallet. Not only am I really disappointed that she's choosing a friend's birthday party over spending a weekend away with me (although I wouldn't mind IF my plan was flexible, which it isn't because it's booked so it has to be cancelled).

She told me I can cancel the bookings, which is true...but then I'm charged a damn cancellation fee from the hotel which is a lot of money, WASTED money! Naturally I got really angry about this and I hated that she's not even considering 1. my feelings and 2. my money!

We started arguing a lot and had a heated exchange and I said "piss off to your friend then I can't stand the sight of you" which I agree was very rude of me but she slapped me across the face for it!!!

I was just shocked and froze, never expected her to do this and she never has in all the time we've been together (it's a long relationship). I was SO angry I was just fuming and I think she got scared just from the look on my face, so I told her to leave before this gets from bad to worse.

She kept ringing and texting after but I switched the phone off and went to sleep so that I can cool off instead of having a slagging match via text.

Now I don't know what to do, I said some bad things but I can't believe she slapped me. I feel so disrespected and although I really love her this is just something I can't let pass. I'm facing the dilemma now, to follow my feelings and forgive her and just put it behind us or to follow my principles and stand up for my dignity by leaving her.

I feel so annoyed that all this has come about from something that should have been a romantic trip away, instead it's led to this disaster.

I really need some advice on how to approach the situation please, would appreciate your views on what would be the right thing to do because I don't want to act irrationally in this anger.

thanks.

Rape her straight up.

Na, jokes aside ermm get a new one.
uhm... she doesnt love you as much as you do to her...

I remember doing a similar thing to my ex, I turned down a planned holiday with him which he paid for everything and booked the flight. I didnt love him as much anymore so I thought it would be boring to go on a holiday with him. When you're in love, you normally love to spend time with your partner, a trip to Paris would be smth even more special. Your gf is likely to be loving you less, much less. She kept texting/ calling you afterwards because she felt guilty, but it doesnt change the fact that she preferred going to the birthday party to enjoying a nice holiday with you. I know it's hard but I suggest you break up with her. My ex never realised it and it hurt him a lot. (well I know I didnt do the right thing but we r not talking about me here r we lol)
What the absolute ****?

I'd go with somebody else, dump her and tell her to piss off for life.

Some things are unforgivable - even when forgiven, are unforgetable; dump her and move on.

Well done on you for not hitting her back, I probably would have, or used her for lots and lots of sex, just out of pure anger and frustration, but that was very respectful of you, and i'd like to shake your hand irl, but you deserve much much much better.

She sounds like a ****ing looney (toon).

Dump asap.
I'd go after her for battery, but I'm vindictive like that :colonhash:
Original post by ilovethekooks

I remember doing a similar thing to my ex, I turned down a planned holiday with him which he paid for everything and booked the flight. I didnt love him as much anymore so I thought it would be boring to go on a holiday with him. When you're in love, you normally love to spend time with your partner, a trip to Paris would be smth even more special. Your gf is likely to be loving you less, much less. She kept texting/ calling you afterwards because she felt guilty, but it doesnt change the fact that she preferred going to the birthday party to enjoying a nice holiday with you. I know it's hard but I suggest you break up with her. My ex never realised it and it hurt him a lot. (well I know I didnt do the right thing but we r not talking about me here r we lol)

You sound like a ****ing ungrateful slag.

I hope he left you and found somebody much more deserving.

Seriously, people like you piss me right off.

Guys who love their girlfriends lots deserve to be told if they aren't getting it back. I hope you told him asap, because people like you probably deserve a wake-up slap (i'd never do it, violence is wrong).

Grow the **** up and don't bother getting/staying in a relationship where you don't feel the same way he feels about you.

Imagine he did it to you... you'd cry about leading on and complain like a bitch.

Double ****ing standards! :angry:
Original post by otilov
should have slapped her back

I wonder what the female:male ratio is for the pos reps.
If my boyfriend did that for me, I would be so grateful, excited and happy. If I then got invited to a friends birthday party I would realise that I already have plans and would try arrange to see my friend for their birthday another time, and if they were a good friend they would understand. She obviously can't handle her priorities. Would you want this in later life : oh sorry, I can't make it on our holiday I've got to go to a friends birthday party. Sounds immature when you put it into a mature context.
Original post by ilovethekooks

Oh right, so you're a good-for-nothing selfish whore? Good to know :yep:
Original post by WelshBluebird
I hate the double standards girls have.
If this was the other way around, all the girls here would be saying get out of the relationship because he'd do it again.
Yet cos its a girl whos being violent, then its no problem?
WTF.

True, it's terrible when a woman hits a man. However since men are usually stronger and scarier than women it's slightly different:

usually when a woman slaps a man its out of pure disrespect (awful)

but when a man hits a woman it can be really dangerous and downright terrifying.

Of course those are just generalizations and there will be a lot of exceptions.
God, she's definately not respecting you. What's the matter with her! You'd planned a trip and everything.
You weren't that rude to her.
Reply 175

thanks.

Go to Paris anyway. Waste not want not.
I would be furious. She really is out of order, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

What exactly was her friends birthday party? a night out?
Reply 177
Original post by ShakeyJJ
Alternatively, instead of my previous advice;

"Do I look like a bitch?"
"What?"
"DO I LOOK LIKE A BITCH?"
"No?"
"Then why you tryin' to **** me like a bitch!?"

+rep for Pulp Fiction!!
Original post by BoxesAndBangles
True, it's terrible when a woman hits a man. However since men are usually stronger and scarier than women it's slightly different:

usually when a woman slaps a man its out of pure disrespect (awful)

but when a man hits a woman it can be really dangerous and downright terrifying.

Of course those are just generalizations and there will be a lot of exceptions.

So what?
If a woman slaps a man, the whore forfeits her rights as a 'physically-inferior woman' and should get slapped back.

Yes, a man-slap would, on most occasions, be very strong...but the whore should have thought about that before slapping. It's like playing with fire and then complaining when you get burned.

Slap a man, and expect to have the living day lights slapped out of you. If you're lucky, the man has self-control and a code of conduct so doesn't respond physically.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 179
From your original post you seemed to think about the sitation and behave in a mature manner (its natural to say things in the heat of the moment, we are only human).

You did well to give you and her a period in which to cool off.

Maybe she did understand this was important to you and that you feel let down but for some reason she felt it was urgent and important for some reason to go see her mate ? Maybe there's a little more to the story.

Or maybe she just didn't consider your feelings as much as you would have done or would expect her to and she was very shocked at your reaction.

It sounds like things have got out of hand. I don't think it's acceptable for her to hit you but this may not be something you need to break up over. It wouldn't be positive for her to believe her reaction was acceptable or that she was justified in which case she would believe she would have the right to behave in a similar way in a similar situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending