The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

I'm not doing any more maxing out for a while.
I've never understood the hate on mixed grip either. I even do my shrugs mixed grip and my traps don't look uneven at all as far as I can see.

Anyway, speed deadlifts are good. That was the main thing I was gonna post.
Was going to do tonight's session last night but back DOMS got in the way.

Pause squats (2s):

100 x 5
120 x 5
130 x 3

These are much harder than regular squats! Next time I go these I'm going to try and go for some sets across.

Press:

60 x 3
65 x 3
50 x 5

65 x 3 is technically PB but a fairly worthless one as I've done better on different rep ranges before. Triceps gave out of the last set - was planning on trying to get 8+ reps but that wasn't happening.

Power cleans:

60 x 3
70 x 3
74 x 3
82 x 3

Nice power clean PB.

Finished with some curls, did the bar plus 15kg each side for three sets of six reps.
Bit of a meh session this evening.

Bench press:

85 x 4
90 x 1
90 x 1
90 x 1
90 x 1
70 x 5 - paused
70 x 4 - paused

85 x 4 is a PR. First three felt a bit easier than last time's triples but last rep was a real grinder. The first few singles at 90 felt okay too, but the last one was quite a grinder. The paused benches were a bit of a disaster, though, although I attribute that to being already knackered.

Speed deadlifts:

80 x 3
90 x 3
100 x 3
110 x 3

Speed was good on all but the last set.

Romanian deadlifts:

100 x 5
120 x 5

Stopped there as my ass was feeling funny, like it was going to pop out of its socket or something. Was hoping to go up to three plates. Oh well, at least the weight felt fine.
Okay so I'm recovering from man-flu at the moment and thus haven't trained this week yet (the last time I trained when I had man-flu, well, the results weren't that great for the next week). So without any training to do I was left thinking about what my plan to achieve my goals was, and it turns out I don't have one.

My goals for 2011 were:

A 200kg squat, a 120kg bench press and power clean, a 227.5kg deadlift and a 90kg press.

Firstly, I'd like to hit the deadlift goal as currently my squat is getting a bit close to my deadlift to lend any credibility to its depth. I have good proportions for deadlifting and the only reason it's lagging relative to my squat is because I spent too much of the year not training it, whereas I've been relatively consistent with squatting.

Regarding the bench and the press, I think these will definitely be difficult. Lack of size of the arms has been holding me back (and indeed weak biceps gave me tremendous elbow flexor pain during the summertime when I was doing any overhead work). But only after a few weeks of making sure I do my curls for the gurls I'm noticing gains in them. My triceps are also fairly week, which I'm addressing.

So here will be my strategies for hitting each of my targets on the lifts.

Squat: I won't be focusing much on this until I get the deadlift, which hopefully won't be too long. I'll be squatting twice a week: one speed day, and one heavier day. The volume will be low - like maintenance - so I'm not expecting to make any noticeable gains on it. But if I do, then that'd be great. Then once I hit the deadlift, I'll go back to what has worked in the past, which is thrice weekly squatting, probably with something similar to the Madcows intermediate template, expect I'll maybe do a speed day instead of a light day.

Deadlift: Until I hit 227.5kg I'll be pulling twice a week, as previously outlined. One day I'll do some deficits to work on my off the floor strength, and the next I'll do some speeds to work on my speed. I'll do a back-off set or two of Romanians to really hammer the posterior chain.

Bench press and strict overhead press: I'll be using plenty of volume but I'll be using lower intensities than I've been using lately. I'd like to hit the bench first since the bench has always been my nemesis, though, so I'll be incorporating two bench sessions per week, and one pressing session. I think my bench transfers better to my press than the vice versa, so this is hopefully a sustainable plan.

Power clean: I make the best progress on my power clean by increasing my squat and deadlift. I won't be focusing much on this - I'll probably only be doing it once a week on the day that I don't do a deadlift variation - and indeed I am only setting a goal in it because I think it's an awesome lift.
If you could go back to when you started, would you have done more bicep/tricep work from the start? My arms are also weak (certainly weaker than yours), and I'm fairly certain it's holding me back.
Original post by Blutarsky
If you could go back to when you started, would you have done more bicep/tricep work from the start? My arms are also weak (certainly weaker than yours), and I'm fairly certain it's holding me back.

Yes. Not so much triceps work as I think they get hit much better from benching and pressing than the biceps get hit from deadlifts, rows and cleans. I actually think the best triceps work is close grip, shortened ROM variations of the bench press. Although the only thing that works biceps for me seems to be curls and chin ups. I can't progress well with chin ups, and curls are an easier movement too, so I'm sticking with them for a while.
Okay session tonight. Been struck down with man-flu for the last couple of days and been busy too, so not been able to train for a week.

Paused squats (2s):

120 x 5
120 x 5

These were absolutely kicking my ass. Stopped there, but was really hoping for some easy volume. Probably didn't go so well because it's the first lift on a week.

Press:

50 x 3
55 x 3
60 x 5
60 x 2
60 x 0.9

Pressing felt quite good tonight. The triples at the start were fairly fast. 60 x 5 is the best I've done in quite a while, too. The first four reps were quite clean and smooth but something happened on the last one making it a real grinder - must have went off-line or something and wobbled a bit. Whatever it was destroyed my shoulders for the rest of the session as I was really struggling after that.

Power cleans:

80 x 3
85 x 1
88 x 1
90 x 1
92 x 1
94 x f
94 x f

Nice PR on the power clean, but was knackered by the time 94 came up so missed it twice. I think I'll need to get some volume in these again before I can hit two plates.

Curls:

bar + 30 x 10
bar + 30 x 10

Nice PR. Arms should hopefully start to grow now.
Did about 60 minutes of 7 a side today. Nothing serious, and it's going to be a weekly thing. Good cardio.

I did this before but I never logged it. I'm going to start logging it now, seeing as it's cardio.
Reply 709
Dropped in to check progress. Good work on the press my fellow long armed friend.
Hips were still destroyed so not a great session tonight. Tried to do some squats but couldn't.

Paused bench (2s):

70 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 4

Probably had a fifth on the last set but no spotter and no room to tip the plates off either.

Close grip bench:

60 x 8
60 x 8

These feel weird after benching for some reason. Triceps feel like they've got no power in them but the weight goes up fairly effortlessly. Then they start burning and without any warning the weight will barely budge.

Speed deadlifts:

100 x 3
110 x 3
110 x 3

Not as fast as I've hoped but my hips were destroyed. Hopefully much faster next time.

Finished with some facepulls. Did almost the stack for two sets of ten reps. Then did some stretches.
Paused bench (2s):

72 x 5
72 x 5
72 x 5
72 x 4.5

Last rep of last set was stuck half way up for quite a while until someone kindly helped. Was going to tip the bar if I never got any assistance. Tried to go some close grip pin presses, from almost at chest level, as assistance but triceps were too ****ed, so only got 5 reps with 60 and decided not to burn myself out.

Deficit deadlifts (standing on a 25):

160 x 5

These weren't too bad. This is biggest deficit I've ever used at this weight, although not sure of its exact magnitude.

Tried to do some dumbbell rows next; got ten reps of a 42.5 with my right arm but they bothered my left arm so I stopped. Then I did some curls and some stretching.
Are you only doing paused squats now ? Or switching between ?
Original post by commandant
Are you only doing paused squats now ? Or switching between ?

I don't really know yet. I'm considering switching to high bar as I think I'd prefer to squat until my hamstrings touch my calves. When I do this with low bar I get horrible butt wink and the lift is primarily a quad and low back one.
What's the advantage of pause-resting?
Original post by tomtomtomtom
What's the advantage of pause-resting?

helps the bottom half of the squat
Original post by Smack
I don't really know yet. I'm considering switching to high bar as I think I'd prefer to squat until my hamstrings touch my calves. When I do this with low bar I get horrible butt wink and the lift is primarily a quad and low back one.

I remember when I was on the myprotein forums a while back, there was a guy there who switched to only paused squats and he had great results

To be honest I think I'm with you there, I think I'm going to move back to high bar squatting. I never had all this trouble with my lower back when I was high bar :/
Yeah, I'll reserve low bar squatting for once in a while when I want to hit PRs, since it's definitely superior for moving maximal weights. But high bar squats are easier on the lower back and can be recovered from quicker (due to the slightly less weight used and more verticle angle of the back) and make slightly more sense for frequent squatting.
Bit of a meh session tonight.

Squats:

worked up to 175 x 1

Form quite poor. Quite a grinder. Not what I was expecting after being able to do 170 for a triple. This low volume and low frequency is sucking pretty badly, it seems. Strength seems to be going down slightly, and I'm particularly noticing this at the higher rep end when 120 x 5 is a lot more strenuous than I'd expect for someone that can triple 170. My current routine seems a little stupid, if I say so myself. Considering either going back to Madcows or maybe using Starr's heavy/light/medium 5x5.

Press:

50 x 5
60 x 4

Very poor. Need to do some more volume methinks. And maybe more frequency, too. Form and grove not getting nailed in on only doing them once a week. Or maybe I was just fatigued after the squats.

Power cleans:

70 x 3
80 x 3
85 x 3
85 x 3

These were the only non-disappointing lift of the day.

Finished with some stretching.
Tried some power snatches as a warm-up.

Paused bench (2s):

70 x 2
80 x 2
70 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 4

The double with 80 was fairly easy. Definitely had more in me. I'm not really sure why I racked it on the last set either. Bar was slowing down a little, but slightly disappointed I didn't continue.

Deficit deadlifts:

165 x 5

These were harder. Quite fast, though, for this weight, but I really felt the strain.

Then did some GHRs, but they weren't feeling good.

Then did some face pulls, which felt really good, for 2 x 15.

Then did some stretching, rotator cuff work and shoulder dislocates.

Quick Reply

Latest