The Student Room Group

Applying through UCAS whilst at university

Is it possible to apply through UCAS whilst already at a university, say during first year?

I have some offers that I think I should take up this year, but they're not ideal and I'm worried that I might hate it when I'm actually at uni, and might want to reapply to different places for a slightly different course.

Is this possible? If I did, and received offers would I drop out of the current uni for the remainder of the academic year? Would my references be done by my school/be the same as they were this year?

Thank you!
Reply 1
*bump*
Original post by bluesky42
Is it possible to apply through UCAS whilst already at a university, say during first year?

I have some offers that I think I should take up this year, but they're not ideal and I'm worried that I might hate it when I'm actually at uni, and might want to reapply to different places for a slightly different course.

Is this possible? If I did, and received offers would I drop out of the current uni for the remainder of the academic year? Would my references be done by my school/be the same as they were this year?

Thank you!

If you want to start another course at another uni, UCAS is the application route, and you can do this while still studying your current course - if you're looking to change within the same uni you might be able to do this without UCAS... this just depends on the uni you're at.

In terms of dropping out of your current course, it depends - the uni you apply for might want you to complete your current year to show you are capable of HE study. There are however also funding issues that you would need to check with the SLC etc.

References - depends on where you apply. They'll want academic references either way. They might insist on something from your uni tutors to see if you just didn't enjoy the course, or are there deeper issues in terms of your capabilities at HE.
Reply 3
Original post by bluesky42
*bump*
Don't be ridiculous.

In answer to your question: as anythingbutord says, it is possible to reapply while at university. However, you should bear in mind that some unis will not consider you in those circumstances (and you can't hide it as you must declare your current studies on your application) and you would need to check this out in advance.

I would also suggest to you that going to uni with the idea of reapplying if you don't like it is not a productive frame of mind to be in. If you can't commit fully to the course/uni you've been offered for this year, don't take it. Apart from anything else, you might be preventing someone else who desperately wants that place through Clearing from going. It's OK to accept your offers now and see how you feel come Results Day, but it is unfair to take up a place when you don't really want it and someone else might.
Reply 4
Original post by anythingbutord
If you want to start another course at another uni, UCAS is the application route, and you can do this while still studying your current course - if you're looking to change within the same uni you might be able to do this without UCAS... this just depends on the uni you're at.

In terms of dropping out of your current course, it depends - the uni you apply for might want you to complete your current year to show you are capable of HE study. There are however also funding issues that you would need to check with the SLC etc.

References - depends on where you apply. They'll want academic references either way. They might insist on something from your uni tutors to see if you just didn't enjoy the course, or are there deeper issues in terms of your capabilities at HE.

Original post by Minerva
Don't be ridiculous.

In answer to your question: as anythingbutord says, it is possible to reapply while at university. However, you should bear in mind that some unis will not consider you in those circumstances (and you can't hide it as you must declare your current studies on your application) and you would need to check this out in advance.

I would also suggest to you that going to uni with the idea of reapplying if you don't like it is not a productive frame of mind to be in. If you can't commit fully to the course/uni you've been offered for this year, don't take it. Apart from anything else, you might be preventing someone else who desperately wants that place through Clearing from going. It's OK to accept your offers now and see how you feel come Results Day, but it is unfair to take up a place when you don't really want it and someone else might.

Thanks for the replies. Of course I understand that starting a course is a really big deal, I just wanted to check if there were other options just in case it all went wrong. I will most likely end up loving my uni and course anyway and forget all about ucas within a few days, but it's good to know that I have the option just in case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending