The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anterior view
Yeh it's a real bummer. Giving it one more try though:smile:

Same here, 2nd time lucky? :crossedf::redface:

And also in regards to adv highers....oh dear same D: infact i decided last ngiht i wouldn't be back on internet for a while. I lasted long...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Normandy114
Very true, a lecturer I heard a week ago advised strongly against humour as whether or not it gets accepted can hinge upon their sense of humor versus yours. What was the humour btw? :tongue:

Wasn't a Frankie Boyle joke or anything! I dunno, maybe I'm paranoid but i don't wanna put quotes from my personal statement on a public forum in case it gets used by loads of ppl next yr and i get pulled up for aiding and abetting plagiarism! :s-smilie:
Hey guys, i'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths, German, Critical Thinking, will most probably drop Maths at A2, and only doing Critical Thinking AS.

Narrowed down my choices to, although nothing's been finalized:
- Leicester
- Newcastle (although I've heard they're not fond of resits :s)
- Keele
- UCL (possibly although it's a huge risk/punt)

Good luck to all :biggrin:

EDIT: Got like 30 people will be applying for medicine 2012 in my year at sixth form (out of approximately 140 people - Grammar school)
Original post by bryan.connell
Wasn't a Frankie Boyle joke or anything! I dunno, maybe I'm paranoid but i don't wanna put quotes from my personal statement on a public forum in case it gets used by loads of ppl next yr and i get pulled up for aiding and abetting plagiarism! :s-smilie:

I must warn you my only two pastimes are lurking and plagiarising.
Original post by thegodofgod
Hey guys, i'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths, German, Critical Thinking, will most probably drop Maths at A2, and only doing Critical Thinking AS.

Narrowed down my choices to, although nothing's been finalized:
- Leicester
- Newcastle (although I've heard they're not fond of resits :s)
- Keele
- UCL (possibly although it's a huge risk/punt)

Good luck to all :biggrin:

EDIT: Got like 30 people will be applying for medicine 2012 in my year at sixth form (out of approximately 140 people - Grammar school)

Lol.
At my school there was me and one other. Neither of us got in :tongue:
Reply 345
within the space of a few hrs , i have gone from being a new scientist virgin, to reading most of this year issues.

anyone got a mag to recommend? :smile:
Got like 35 people will be applying for medicine 2012 in my year at sixth form (out of approximately 140 people - Grammar school)

We had 35 medics in our year in September - it dropped to about 20 in the first half term and I think it's decreased again, possibly even by half, since Jan exam results came out :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by atomos
Same here, 2nd time lucky? :crossedf::redface:

And also in regards to adv highers....oh dear same D: infact i decided last ngiht i wouldn't be back on internet for a while. I lasted long...

Lol same:smile:. I really need to but it's so hard to get up for it when your on a downer:frown:. I'd be saying to people not to apply unless they are really sure it's what they want because the application process we've just been through is horrible. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy:redface:
Original post by atomos
Lol.
At my school there was me and one other. Neither of us got in :tongue:

:redface: - you reapplying this year?
Original post by cashy
within the space of a few hrs , i have gone from being a new scientist virgin, to reading most of this year issues.

anyone got a mag to recommend? :smile:

At school we subscribe to the Biological Sciences Review and then Chemistry Review - they're pretty decent reads!
Reply 350
Original post by Stegosaurus
No, I know exactly what you mean :smile:

ahhh to many decisions - i know i'll be the person who makes all their decisions at the last minute :tongue:
Original post by Anterior view
Lol same:smile:. I really need to but it's so hard to get up for it when your on a downer:frown:. I'd be saying to people not to apply unless they are really sure it's what they want because the application process we've just been through is horrible. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy:redface:

Me either! The waiting is definately the worst :redface:

:redface: - you reapplying this year?

Yeeeep :yy:
Reply 352
Original post by Count Stefular
All of them except Barts coz i'd already seen it a few times with taster courses and university fairs. And with Barts they do post offer open days, which i've got a place on :smile:
Honestly i'd try to see them all, especially the ones in scotland, how hellish would it be to get there and hate it? That far from home. Try getting a flight rather than a train, by the time you factor in the cost of somewhere to stay the night coz you wont be able to do both directions and the actually open day in a single day, flying might actually be cheaper. Me mate applied for one up there and flew both ways, worked out cheaper for her. Get going looking for them soon, I completely missed the start and really had to search for places!

i'd love to see them of course, but like, i was meant to be going to peninsula on saturday, but i'd have to wake up at like 5 in the morning and it would cost me around £100 total

i was thinking maybe i'd fly up there for a couple of days and try and just go to as many scottish places as i can in one go instead of just for individual days?
We had 35 medics in our year in September - it dropped to about 20 in the first half term and I think it's decreased again, possibly even by half, since Jan exam results came out :s-smilie:

ouch!

forgive me for being very selfish, but yay :smile:
Original post by atomos
Yeeeep :yy:

Good luck! :yy:

Where you applying to?
Hey guys, i'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths, German, Critical Thinking, will most probably drop Maths at A2, and only doing Critical Thinking AS....

Thought I'd be seeing you on here at some point, good luck. How's your work experience/volunteering progress?

Original post by bryan.connell

Ah fair play I suppose, good luck with your other interviews.

haha same. About 45, then 35 after people found out work experience was needed, then 20 after January results, of whom I believe only 5 will apply and be considered.
Original post by Normandy114
Thought I'd be seeing you on here at some point, good luck. How's your work experience/volunteering progress?

lol - got banned for a week for posting a "vulgar" link :redface:

erm - got study leave for AS from mid may to 9th June, and my exams finish before the end of may, so thinking of squeezing a week in 30 May - 3rd June (hopefully at a GP practice).

voluntary work - got CRB check back on friday, not just going to speak to the care home and see when I can start :smile:

How's your stuff going and how did your january modules go? :smile:
lol - got banned for a week for posting a "vulgar" link :redface:

erm - got study leave for AS from mid may to 9th June, and my exams finish before the end of may, so thinking of squeezing a week in 30 May - 3rd June (hopefully at a GP practice).

voluntary work - got CRB check back on friday, not just going to speak to the care home and see when I can start :smile:

How's your stuff going and how did your january modules go? :smile:

Haha, I was wondering where those 15 warning points came from, you're normally a helpful poster from what I've seen. Jan modules went well, 8 exams which came out as aaaaabbc, both B's were one off an A, so a couple resits and a unit 2 paper in June may make it up to all A's, currently I'm on a very solid AABB.
Work experience I've got a week shadowing a consultant/a registrar/F1s and even medical students at one point, and another week as a teaching assistant from a year or so ago, maybe not too relevant but I could put it in as communication or teamwork skills hopefully. I start volunteering at a charity shop this weekend, which should help boost the application. Trying to sort out a week at a GPs and some work in a care home in the future to have a good balance of areas. Have you got many exams this summer? I've got 6, but two are critical thinking and two are resits so not nearly as bad as I had it this January.
Good luck! :yy:

Where you applying to?

Considering all the Scottish ones, can't really afford to go further afield.
Might swap Glasgow for one of my choices this year, UKCAT permitting :tongue:

That said, if i screw up the UKCAT might consider applying to one english non-ukcat uni.

How about you?
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending