The Student Room Group

Sibling in uni.. mention it in Personal Statement?

My brother is keen on getting into the same uni as I am in and maybe even the same course ( maybe ) .. a personal statement is needed of course and i am now curious if it would be wise for him to at least mention me studying there already..
Either if he just mentions it once without developing it ( which obviously would not do any good - word count wasted = why not elaborate ) or trying to work on that as one reason for applying ( let's say inspiration, keen on how I am doing etc..)

I imagine some of u have siblings and have been in a similar situation?? Any thoughts or advice on that is really welcome :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.
Reply 2
No. Just don't.
No, the PS is about YOU, not your sibling.
Reply 4
Original post by pinda.college
No, the PS is about YOU, not your sibling.

Or about his sibling, not him!!
Definitely not.
Bad idea.
Reply 7
On a sperate note, I sincerely hope that that is not you in the video in your sig.
Why not add in that your Dad went there too?
Your sibling may be notorious at uni as a prat. Would you want to be linked under those circumstances?
Do not do it.
Don't be so silly
Reply 11
Original post by Foo.mp3

Original post by Foo.mp3
"[Bummage]...as a family member has studied on your course and spoke of it very highly" .. might be acceptable but generally I'd go on repute, and your own interpretation - preferably citing open day visits/important publications/heritage/prestige/staff etc

No, they want to know why you want to study there and why you'd be good. They don't want to know what you think of the course. They can tell you think it's good as otherwise you wouldn't apply.
Reply 12
no ........... its a PERSONAL statement
Reply 13
Original post by oZu
My brother is keen on getting into the same uni as I am in and maybe even the same course ( maybe ) .. a personal statement is needed of course and i am now curious if it would be wise for him to at least mention me studying there already..
Either if he just mentions it once without developing it ( which obviously would not do any good - word count wasted = why not elaborate ) or trying to work on that as one reason for applying ( let's say inspiration, keen on how I am doing etc..)

I imagine some of u have siblings and have been in a similar situation?? Any thoughts or advice on that is really welcome :smile:

Only if he's applying for the same course, but don't name the uni, this will only look bad to the other unis he's applying to. Might be good to say that he's learnt a lot about the course because his brother is already studying it or something.
Reply 14
Original post by Foo.mp3
"[Bummage]...as a family member has studied on your course and spoke of it very highly" .. might be acceptable but generally I'd go on repute, and your own interpretation - preferably citing open day visits/important publications/heritage/prestige/staff etc

The problem with that is that he would probably apply to 5 different universities, but his sibling is only studying at one of them.
Reply 15
Oh yes! It will be simply darling!

"I wanna be just wike my big bwother when I gwow up."

Just no.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Heh, by that logic the PS could be blank as by the same virtue they can also take it as given that you think you're good enough for their institution.. :rolleyes:

Er, the purpose of a PS is to explain why you think you would be a good student not to merely state that you would be a good student.

Actually I believe it can be useful to outline aspects of the course/university that you interpret as conducive to a positive experience for yourself (with reference to your own traits/interests/outlook) - reflexivity/introspectiveness are analytical skills that, when executed proficiently/applied appropriately, can definitely work in your favour for the purposes of such applications and actually make a candidate stand out

The problem with is that most candidates are applying for five different courses.
I didn't say anything about my sister already being at Oxford. That would have come across as rather desperate and crass.

That said she was at a different college and did a completely different subject. Even if it had been the same college or course though, I wouldn't have mentioned it :nah:
Original post by Foo.mp3

Aye.. so by the same virtue there is some milage in explaining why you think the course would appear congruent with your qualities/expectations

You seem to have forgotten that the applicant is likely to be applying for five courses. You shouldn't be writing about courses in a PS; you should be writing about yourself and subjects, and admissions tutors don't need to be told by candidates about the subject they are teaching - they already know quite enough.
Reply 19
Original post by Foo.mp3

Original post by Foo.mp3
Heh, by that logic the PS could be blank as by the same virtue they can also take it as given that you think you're good enough for their institution.. :rolleyes:

No, that doesn't work. A lot of people apply to courses they haven't got the grades (or other stuff) for, just because they like the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending