The Student Room Group

I need an excuse to cut contact with my family.

I live in an asian extended family, and its really annoying because I hate it. My parents and relatives tell me they love me, but I'm not them, I don't follow the same religion, I don't want to get married which is what the tradition seems to be and I just want to move abroad, get an apartment, live my life the way I want and never speak to them again. I know it sounds harsh, but I've hated the whole family dictating what my life should be like and especially when they show that they care about me a lot which I'm sure they do, but no matter what happens I never seem to stay happy there; I'm probably the most ungrateful person for having a loving family, but I really wish I was some kind of a victim of abuse or something or even be homeless so I'd have an excuse to run away for. I've spent a night on the street and I enjoyed living in the cold in the city even though its really harsh conditions but I felt free and happy. At home I use any excuse to stay out late at night and just wander around the streets; it makes me happy.

But its really difficult, because recently I've tried telling my family I'm unhappy and the only thing that my parents think is because I didn't get in to med school; but its really because I want to live a free life.

I plan to move abroad in the future and work there but even then, my family would be behind my back dictating me to get married and follow the same religion as them.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Flop your dick out, do the helicopter, and fly away.
Original post by Anonymous
I live in an asian extended family, and its really annoying because I hate it. My parents and relatives tell me they love me, but I'm not them, I don't follow the same religion, I don't want to get married which is what the tradition seems to be and I just want to move abroad, get an apartment, live my life the way I want and never speak to them again. I know it sounds harsh, but I've hated the whole family dictating what my life should be like and especially when they show that they care about me a lot which I'm sure they do, but no matter what happens I never seem to stay happy there; I'm probably the most ungrateful person for having a loving family, but I really wish I was some kind of a victim of abuse or something or even be homeless so I'd have an excuse to run away for. I've spent a night on the street and I enjoyed living in the cold in the city even though its really harsh conditions but I felt free and happy. At home I use any excuse to stay out late at night and just wander around the streets; it makes me happy.

But its really difficult, because recently I've tried telling my family I'm unhappy and the only thing that my parents think is because I didn't get in to med school; but its really because I want to live a free life.

I plan to move abroad in the future and work there but even then, my family would be behind my back dictating me to get married and follow the same religion as them.

Firstly, how selfish are you OP? I think you should read that back to yourself out loud.

Are you thinking about anyone elses feelings apart from yourself?

And BTW, you go tell a rape/domestic abuse victim how much you want to be them.

How can you say you 'wish' you were a victim of abuse, okay that is literally making me so angry right now. You should be grateful for everything you have. I hope one day you do get raped or something, lets see how much you want to be a victim then.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by secret_geek
Firstly, how selfish are you OP? I think you should read that back to yourself out loud.

You actually sound surprised that, in the OP's own post about their life, searching for advice, they might be talking about themselves. ****ing moron.
Original post by SayonaraSamm
You actually sound surprised that, in the OP's own post about their life, searching for advice, they might be talking about themselves. ****ing moron.

Pffffffft not suprised they are talking about themselves. Suprised how SELFISH op is, ****ing moron.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I really wish I was some kind of a victim of abuse or something or even be homeless so I'd have an excuse to run away for.

thats kinda offensive to people who have suffered from domestic violence and worse, such as myself.

you dont have to cut off all ties from your family. do what you want to do, if youre so adamant about it. if your family loves you enough, theyll accept it. if they dont like it, then they might just disown you themselves and youll get your wish.
Reply 6

And BTW, you go tell a rape/domestic abuse victim how much you want to be them.

How can you say you 'wish' you were a victim of abuse, okay that is literally making me so angry right now. You should be grateful for everything you have. I hope one day you do get raped or something, lets see how much you want to be a victim then.

Don't be so selfish, think about what the OP wants and not just what you think.
Original post by LeeC
Don't be so selfish, think about what the OP wants and not just what you think.

I was... the OP does want to get raped... and be a VICTIM OF ABUSE

We don't care what YOU were suggesting.
Original post by Keith Lemon
We don't care what YOU were suggesting.

Love you snookums, should I make you snickers pie when you come down!
Love you snookums, should I make you snickers pie when you come down!

Who are you? :confused:
Reply 11

"I really wish I was some kind of a victim of abuse or something or even be homeless so I'd have an excuse to run away for."

He's looking for an excuse to run away, it's obvious he isn't being literal when he says he wants to get raped. It's not the best thing to say, but he is clearly upset so we should give him some leeway for being a bit over the top.

I have no idea how you survive in life if you take everything everyone says 100% literally without considering the context at all.

**** off :mad:

In your profile there's a comment of her. That's creepy.
Original post by LeeC
"I really wish I was some kind of a victim of abuse or something or even be homeless so I'd have an excuse to run away for."

He's looking for an excuse to run away, it's obvious he isn't being literal when he says he wants to get raped. It's not the best thing to say, but he is clearly upset so we should give him some leeway for being a bit over the top.

I have no idea how you survive in life if you take everything everyone says 100% literally without considering the context at all.

Well people should realise that they need to put their problems into context with the rest of the world.
**** off :mad:

:perv:
Get money, go away.
Reply 17
You really wish you were a victim of abuse or the like? So, would you like the flashbacks, the social anxiety, the depression or the flashbacks first? I've been there, twice (once as a child, once as an adult), and trust me... No one in their right mind wants that.

Here's the thing. You may not agree with their religion, culture or whatever, but they are your god damn family. My adoptive family drive me up the wall at times. But be grateful for what you have. My family are devout christians. I'm an atheist. They think I should be a stay at home mum til my son starts school, but I'm at uni. But for all the bickering, I would NEVER dream of trying to get rid of them.

I'm sure you could find a member of TSR who could tell you what it's like to lose a parent. And hell, would you feel a prize moron for wishing to be in their shoes.
Original post by kristinaalovesu
In your profile there's a comment of her. That's creepy.

He's my boyfriend IRL if you must know.

You are a stalker - that's creepy
Reply 19
Well people should realise that they need to put their problems into context with the rest of the world.

Yes they do, you being the prime example of somebody who needs to do this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending