The Student Room Group

Telling someone you like them

Hello,

I have always found this incredibly awkward so thought I'd see how others do it. Personally I wait til I'm alone with them, apologise for the cringiness of the situation and then mumble something about how I really like them :tongue:
Also is it always the boy who has to say this - its always been me in my experiences!

So, what are your experiences of this (for me) awkward situation?

Scroll to see replies

well we were chatting on msn. and she suddenly starts complimenting my looks .i didnt like her at the time.

very awkward for me.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

I have always found this incredibly awkward so thought I'd see how others do it. Personally I wait til I'm alone with them, apologise for the cringiness of the situation and then mumble something about how I really like them :tongue:
Also is it always the boy who has to say this - its always been me in my experiences!

God thats a horrible way of doing it. Apologising before you have even said it? Wow....

I prefer never to have the problem - I'm flirty right from the very first time I meet them (if I fancy them) that I never have to pull a big (and cringeworthy) "AHAH I like you! Tadaa".
The one and only time I told someone I liked them was just before Christmas. A load of us had been out the night before I told him and my housemate had gone up to him asking a million questions. He said that he liked me so she came back over and was like "YOU HAVE TO TELL HIM!".

The next day, I bumped into him whilst he was on his way to a tutorial. I told him I wanted to borrow him for something after his tutorial. I met him and I told him I wanted to talk to him about what my housemate had told me the night before.

I turned to him while he was rambling on a bit and was like "I bloody like you. There I said it!'. he paused, looked at me and we both cracked up laughing :smile:

We agreed to see how it went but we worked out that we're much better off as friends. I'm definitely glad we told eachother since we're much better friends for it. It's like an elephant in the room has gone. Not the happiest of endings but we're the best of friends and anything like that happening would be a bit weird!
Reply 4
After fancying my flatmate in first year for 5 months I eventually told her on the way to sainsburys one night. She didnt feel the same way, it was awkward for a while, but i was glad id told her, id expected her to not feel the same so it was kind of like a formality. It was fine again about a month later when i'd met someone new lol.
Reply 5
I've told a guy i liked him before but i did because i knew 100% he liked me too and i was fed up of just flirting and wanted to take it to the next level.

Also, yea, dont apologise for telling her you like her, have some confidence about it!
I've only told 2 guys that I liked them. The first time was when I told my best friend that I thought I had feelings for him. He apologised and said he didn't feel the same way but we have more of a brother-sister relationship and it was a bit awkward to start with, but I'm glad I told him :smile:.

The second guy is one I still currently like and have known for over 5 years. We speak normally through phone/text but we've agreed to both meet up to confirm these feelings. I'm relieved to have told him as he seems to be interested too. It's never good when I'm drunk and embarrassingly start sending text messages to him though haha.
Reply 7
It took over 6 months for me and my girlfriend to get together, simply because we danced around the subject for so long.

In the end we were both drunk together and it just kind of got said by both of us...

romantic eh?
Reply 8
I don't think you necessarily have to say the words. Just make it obvious. Also, don't get drunk and tell them via text. In my experience, you feel like a massive jebend afterwards.
If people have told me they liked me they have to say it first because I'm generally ignorant to these kind of things. I'm also pretty shy so saying I like anyone anyway is pretty difficult for me.It never works out for me though regardless, it'd be nice for once if it did. :dontknow:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
What do you guys actually say though?!
Tell them in privacy, usually quite quiet and looking down at my shoes. :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
ive admitted my feelings for only 2 girls in my enitre life and both situations were awkward, had to sit next to one of them in maths and drama lessons once...

that said, im never admitting my feelings again until im 100% sure that the girl is interested in me

PS: i currently like one of my best friends who is a female but she has a bf, so i aint gonna tell her nothin'
Reply 13
Anyone else?
It honestly doesn't matter what you say, at the end of the day, if they say yes then it's still all good and if they say no then they should be decent enough people not to spread the story of how you asked them out

As long as you don't completely screw up and end up raping them or something, s'all good
I think i'd rather just show him that I like him preferably while I'm drunk. Y'know?
What do you guys actually say though?!

I just tend to tell them I like them if I do, normally they find it really awkward but I'm kinda oblivious.

Yeah, I'm still single. Maybe I should try to be more subtle, but that's just not how I roll.
Original post by The Polar Dude
ive admitted my feelings for only 2 girls in my enitre life and both situations were awkward, had to sit next to one of them in maths and drama lessons once...

that said, im never admitting my feelings again until im 100% sure that the girl is interested in me

PS: i currently like one of my best friends who is a female but she has a bf, so i aint gonna tell her nothin'

A goal has a goalie, but it doesn't mean you can't score.
Reply 18
Hello,

To be honest, I would suggest rather than telling her, show her. I feel this is actually somehow more effective. I personally would do this by flirting, teasing etc and then if they do it back, Il know I have a chance so il then take it to the next level by isolating us from the rest of the people were with, where I can then talk to them more or if the environments right kiss them.
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
I don't think you necessarily have to say the words. Just make it obvious. Also, don't get drunk and tell them via text. In my experience, you feel like a massive jebend afterwards.

How about telling through a video and text that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending