TL;DR

Asian-Americans vote Republican?

This is news to me.
Original post by O'Donovan

TL;DR

Asian-Americans vote Republican?

This is news to me.

It's not actually TLDR, it looks like TLDR because of the gap between the conversations is making it LOOK like its long.
Reply 3
Original post by kristinaalovesu
Not long ago, a friend of mine (not a normal but not like a couple either, we're somewhere in between) asked me if I'm a Republican.. Then I kind of realised and thought what am I? And for some reason, I responded to him in a very idiotic way because I was in a panic and I don't want to look/sound like I have no idea of this and that to be honest. I'm not really into Politics and stuff like that but I feel pretty stupid not knowing where I stand so now I'm paranoid he'll think we are completely different again! He used to tell me that we're so different to each other, but not COMPLETELY!I mean, I feel like his mind-set is set to think that me and him are the opposite. Like he think that we don't have anything in common, and I'm left like there speechless and thinking of what to say to reassure him that we're not completely the opposite. Anyway, am I over analysing things again? paranoid much? Because I really like this guy (we both like each other) and now I feel like I'm getting influenced by his mindset as well. He thinks that a couple should be completely similar (even though he never mentioned that but that's what I think he's thinking) :sad:

This was our conversation through FB Chat today regarding about the title of my thread:

HIM:
are u a republican

ME:
somewhat

HIM:
hehehe
never knew that]

ME:
not a fan of monarchy to be honest.
i just like the way the dress up and stuff

HIM:
lol im saying like american republican or democrat?

ME:Republican!!! (I have no idea why the **** did I just said that but bear with me, I just wanted to move on to the question and not look stupid anymore, in which I obviously failed :facepalm:)

HIM:explain lol u want no taxing the rich?

ME:
democrats think more with their feelings instead of their brains (i think)
im not sure, i told you a while ago. I'm somewhat like taht

HIM:
oo ok
hehehe kristina dacara

ME:
im a little bit of everything, i dont really want to label myself in just one group

HIM:
is mom a republican?

ME:
she doesn't really pay attention much to politics. but im pretty sure she thinks with her feelings haha you're a democrat ha

HIM:
lol yea

ME:
looool

~The End~

Now tell me, am I over thinking everything? That just because he's a democrat and I accidentally said that I'm a republican you think he'll think I'm Republican even though I explained to him that I don't want to label myself into a group? I feel like now that I mentioned I'M A REPUBLICAN I feel like he's going to think like that all the time and will add up to his worries again that we're not alike. :sad:

Someone reassure me in here and willing to explain things.. Thanks much!

Doesn't look like he cares too much about what you said. Besides, you said you don't want to label yourself, and most people today don't know much about the real differences between the two anyway, so don't worry if you think you came across weird.

There's also nothing wrong in saying "I don't really care about politics."

Anyway, some basic info
Republicans: George W. Bush was Republican. Fox news is Republican. Republicans are the ones that can be perceived as racist, and only wanting the white and true americans in place (extreme thinking, but anyway). Republicans are pro guns, and loads of independence to the individual. Republicans use lame tactics like "I don't need a reason, just do this because you're american, and we all have to be proud americans, god bless america"

Democrats: Very free, and we are all equal, and no war is good (talking in exagerations, you could call them hippy) they are perceived as wanting EVERYONE to have equal rights (hence universal healthcare etc.) and equal services. Therefore they are tougher about taxing the rich.

That's just a bit info, but it should give you an idea.
Reply 4
Original post by GAguy

Republicans: George W. Bush was Republican. Fox news is Republican. Republicans are the ones that can be perceived as racist, and only wanting the white and true americans in place (extreme thinking, but anyway). Republicans are pro guns, and loads of independence to the individual. Republicans use lame tactics like "I don't need a reason, just do this because you're american, and we all have to be proud americans, god bless america"

Democrats: Very free, and we are all equal, and no war is good (talking in exagerations, you could call them hippy) they are perceived as wanting EVERYONE to have equal rights (hence universal healthcare etc.) and equal services. Therefore they are tougher about taxing the rich.

Not that you're extremely biased or anything?
In my experience, Republicans seem to be the most genuine Americans. Democrats seem consistently hypocritical. I can't be bothered backing anything up with evidence 'cas its too early but...

Honestly Republicans aren't THE bad guys.

Also; there are plenty of non-white republicans too...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
It's not actually TLDR, it looks like TLDR because of the gap between the conversations is making it LOOK like its long.

Hmm fair point.
Reply 6
Not that you're extremely biased or anything?
In my experience, Republicans seem to be the most genuine Americans. Democrats seem consistently hypocritical. I can't be bothered backing anything up with evidence 'cas its too early but...

Honestly Republicans aren't THE bad guys.

I know it's not an accurate representation, and I am biased. But you got to admit this is one side of the portrayel of the 2 parties. So at least she can know why people say this or that about republican or democrats.
Reply 7
Original post by GAguy
I know it's not an accurate representation, and I am biased. But you got to admit this is one side of the portrayel of the 2 parties. So at least she can know why people say this or that about republican or democrats.

Tbh I think as an American herself, she knows enough about them both already.
We've like properly veered off from the original question.

But that's 'cas she has some girl problem with a guy she likes, and being guys who are on the internet at 4:30 am we actually have no idea what to say, so we subconsciously changed the subject.

Right?

Right man?
Reply 8
Tbh I think as an American herself, she knows enough about them both already.
We've like properly veered off from the original question.

But that's 'cas she has some girl problem with a guy she likes, and being guys who are on the internet at 4:30 am we actually have no idea what to say, so we subconsciously changed the subject.

Right?

Right man?

I'm too tired to agree. But yes, we can :biggrin:
Reply 9
"not a fan of monarchy to be honest.
i just like the way the dress up and stuff "

This bit was hilarious :redface:

Anyway dw, opposites attract. :sexface:
Original post by rawwwwr!

Original post by rawwwwr!
"not a fan of monarchy to be honest.
i just like the way the dress up and stuff "

This bit was hilarious :redface:

Anyway dw, opposites attract. :sexface:

Oh dear he has said that already to me like so many times. :ahee:

I do agree though.

Anyone else?

ME:
not a fan of monarchy to be honest.
i just like the way the dress up and stuff

Girl! This is what happens when you spend too much time on TSR (I'm right there with you) :teehee:
Reply 12
I'm what you call a hippy, smoking all day everynight baby.
I think you were talking in cross purposes.
He was talking about American political parties and you were talking about being a republican in the sense of not wanting a monarchy.

Edit: Yeah I read your OP properly and I see I was right. You could just say you don't support either American party really. I don't support either of them particularly either, even though I know about politics and stuff. :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
He doesn't sound too bothered. You may have been better off saying you weren't really sure though or you're an independent but I doubt it will matter much to him. Both parties are very similar in a lot of ways and basically in the centre of politics anyway. Here's some info if you want it:

Republicans: Traditionally conservative. They believe that the government should, as much as possible, resemble the original form set out by the Founding Fathers in the constitution. They are opposed to 'big government' and want to greatly reduce the size and spending of federal government which they believe has become too large since the 1930's. Usually seen as the party of big business, they want low taxes and minimal regulation of the economy. The social conservative faction of the party wants to see the banning of abortion and gay marriage as well as the introduction of school prayer.

Democrats: Traditionally the more left-wing party. Believe that federal intervention should be used to create a more equal society. Seen as the party that represents minorities since the 1960s when it was the most supportive of the civil rights movement. Also viewed as the party of the working class, especially in the industrial cities of the north. They (generally) support higher taxes on the rich and greater spending on welfare. On social issues they tend to be liberal.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Petch91

Original post by Petch91
He doesn't sound too bothered. You may have been better off saying you weren't really sure though or you're an independent but I doubt it will matter much to him. Both parties are very similar in a lot of ways and basically in the centre of politics anyway. Here's some info if you want it:

Republicans: Traditionally conservative. They believe that the government should, as much as possible, resemble the original form set out by the Founding Fathers in the constitution. They are opposed to 'big government' and want to greatly reduce the size and spending of federal government which they believe has become too large since the 1930's. Usually seen as the party of big business, they want low taxes and minimal regulation of the economy. The social conservative faction of the party wants to see the banning of abortion and gay marriage as well as the introduction of school prayer.

Democrats: Traditionally the more left-wing party. Believe that federal intervention should be used to create a more equal society. Seen as the party that represents minorities since the 1960s when it was the most supportive of the civil rights movement. Also viewed as the party of the working class, especially in the industrial cities of the north. They (generally) support higher taxes on the rich and greater spending on welfare. On social issues they tend to be liberal.

Yeah I know, I panicked and I felt like I had to respond right away. :s-smilie:
Hopefully he doesn't take it seriously though.
Original post by Blueflare

Original post by Blueflare
I think you were talking in cross purposes.
He was talking about American political parties and you were talking about being a republican in the sense of not wanting a monarchy.

Edit: Yeah I read your OP properly and I see I was right. You could just say you don't support either American party really. I don't support either of them particularly either, even though I know about politics and stuff. :p:

I should have made it more clear but what's done is done. :s-smilie:
hur hur hur because republicans are from a different planet.

How old are you guys? You sound about 12.
Reply 18
Original post by GAguy
Doesn't look like he cares too much about what you said. Besides, you said you don't want to label yourself, and most people today don't know much about the real differences between the two anyway, so don't worry if you think you came across weird.

There's also nothing wrong in saying "I don't really care about politics."

Anyway, some basic info

That's just a bit info, but it should give you an idea.

You sound like my politics teacher, who maintains that the tories are only there to help the rich, and that labour are only there to help the poor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending