The Student Room Group

Paracetamol overdose 5 years ago.. Could there be any future health effects?

Hi,

I took a paracetamol overdose (18 x 500g) about 5 years ago (was having sleep problems and thought it would help me sleep at the time, duhh). Anyways I didn't see any doctors about it, and i've had no problems. I'm just wondering if effect my health in the future?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Lol given that it was 5 years ago I think you'll be fine.
Not too sure, but could've damaged your liver? unlikely but still, ask your doctor about it?
Reply 3
I assume you mean 500mg otherwise you'd long be a corpse :biggrin:. If you have been fine up to now I can't see any long term effects to come, just go easy on the booze.
Reply 4
Original post by icedragon
I assume you mean 500mg otherwise you'd long be a corpse :biggrin:. If you have been fine up to now I can't see any long term effects to come, just go easy on the booze.

oops yeah, 500mg
Reply 5
You will be OK.

Probably.:yum:
Reply 6
I think ibuprofen causes liver failure if you abuse it.

You're probably fine, otherwise go to the doctor if you are worried and read this.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Painkillers-paracetamol/Pages/Side-effects.aspx
If you've already gone 5 years...just lay off heavy drinking and excessive use of painkillers.
Reply 8
You took 18 paracetamol tablets? Because you thought it would help you sleep better? :lolwut:

I think the only thing you've learn't from this is that your IQ is similar to that of a pig.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I took a paracetamol overdose (18 x 500g) about 5 years ago (was having sleep problems and thought it would help me sleep at the time, duhh). Anyways I didn't see any doctors about it, and i've had no problems. I'm just wondering if effect my health in the future?

Thanks

It takes about 30 x 500mg to have any significant long-term liver effects, and about 42-ish to kill you, and given that I'm assuming you were fairly young, even if you did they should be largely repaired by now. Though it's fairly dangerous, if you've had no effects you've probably had a very lucky escape from any effects at all.
You should have puked them all back up when you had them (that'd be the body's normal response), if not you'll probably have put alot of strain on your liver.
Original post by Vinchenko
It takes about 30 x 500mg to have any significant long-term liver effects, and about 42-ish to kill you, and given that I'm assuming you were fairly young, even if you did they should be largely repaired by now. Though it's fairly dangerous, if you've had no effects you've probably had a very lucky escape from any effects at all.

Dose needed to cause serious harm or death varies from person to person and depends also on the persons weight.

15x500mg might not doing anything to a rugby playing 6'4 bruiser but give it to a 5'0 waif of a girl and its a different story.
Reply 12
Original post by Ewan
You took 18 paracetamol tablets? Because you thought it would help you sleep better? :lolwut:

I think the only thing you've learn't from this is that your IQ is similar to that of a pig.

Bit harsh on pigs. They are meant to be intelligent
Reply 13
I took 14 paracetamol a few years ago (got almost to the end of the pack before realising I was a complete idiot :smile:) and ended up in hospital. It did no long-term damage, but even just taking 14 made me sick enough that the hospital were concerned because they thought I might have taken more than I said. I had raised levels of something in my liver the next time I had a blood test (about 2 months later?) but it didn't last, and I don't know what it was or even if it was definitely related. So a small amount can be more dangerous to some people than others, it depends on weight, build, how much you've eaten, lots of things.

I would guess that it's unlikely to affect your health long-term, based on my own experiences. But if you're worried talk to your GP about it (or even NHS Direct?).
That would be raised liver enzymes, which can be very dangerous depending on how high they are, they go down, but damage lasts to a certain extent.
Original post by Vinchenko
Oh quite - but I remember from GCSE biology that the average required to have life-threatening effects (i.e. liver failure, which almost certainly leads to death) was 21g, and OP hasn't given us any data on his physique. Paracetemol is actually really quite safe, as the effectiveness:toxicity ratio is very high, at about 1:21, though that's not to underestimate the serious of a real overdose.

I remember from being a doctor and all that significantly less than 21g can cause serious problems, and 10g is enough for the average person to be in deep ****, but as Jamie says, it's all about body weight.
Original post by Spencer Wells
I remember from being a doctor and all that significantly less than 21g can cause serious problems, and 10g is enough for the average person to be in deep ****, but as Jamie says, it's all about body weight.

Bad phrasing on my part. That was apparently the average lethal dosage, but that's hardly much consolation if you have to be put on the liver transplant list...! Post deleted, as hardly constructive or helpful - and I'm not sure publicising the average lethal dose of a readily available drug is exactly moral. I'm sure 10 is more than enough for people to suffer severe effects, after all, it's more than an entire pack!
Original post by HighestKungFu
Lol given that it was 5 years ago I think you'll be fine. In fact, you may have prevented yourself from getting headaches/a sore throat/cough for the next 10 years.

LOOOL so true!
Original post by JulietAlphaGolf
LOOOL so true!

:awesome:
you could have possibly done longterm damage to your liver, obviously not to the point of liver failure but it could be that you slightly weakened it or something? I dont know, I do know that in terms of paracetamol someone of approximately 8 and a half stone could die if they consume upwards of 21/22 tablets (generally thats the fatal dose), adjust the dose up and down for different weights...I took 24 when I was 15 and then 45-50 a couple of months after that, and for several years I was taking doses of 5-10 regularly...my liver function isn't spectacular but I don't have huge problems (although I did nearly end up with liver failure when I was 15) but I did go to hospital after both larger overdoses

Quick Reply

Latest