The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JChoudhry
Try harder. :wink:

GP work experience is the easiest to get.

i've heard it is

however, after phoning about a bundle of GP'S every single one of them told me they could not offer me work experience, referring me to the main hospital, which after putting me on a six month waiting list, rejected me.

I need to get as much as i can. I have done exams an am sick and tired at home, with compelte bordom. Sure i can research, do entrance exam prep, but i barely do it as i'm bored.

:smile: but you give good succinct advise, i will compelte a letter, and send it to as many gp's, with my contact details.also applying to as many care homes/nursing homes

JChoudry, could you explain to me about the NHS reforms? what are primary care trusts, and what relevance do they have in this? Not leeching off anyone, i have really researched this, and i don't really get it =/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by a will way

Didn't read any of that, probably your normal rubbish.

Try going in person and outside your local area :wink:
Reply 3602
Original post by Limitless
I haven't booked mine yet. £65 :eek: friggin day light robbery.

Better book soon, otherwise it will be £80. I don't understand the extortionate fee either!

Original post by Quackers93
I completely forgot about results day! I was going to book mine for the 19th just by chance... that might be a bad idea if my Alevels turn out bad :tongue:

This is my worry, but I don't think I've done too badly (Bet that comment will bite me in the ass on results day :lol:). Plus, I want a good 4 weeks to practise.

:dontknow: Let's see if I want to :laugh: I might. Don't know if I want to stress on it too much :p:

But you do have a valid point, I'll consider it :smile:

Do it man, and thank me later. :lol: :smug:

=) good 'ol jaffer:wink: apply to harvard

yeah good idea, i'll try going in myself on a rampage for W/E. On aside note, ever seen junior doctors - your life in their hands? what do you think about how we can handle that stress?

it's obvious he is going to do it. To apply to medicine you need to do it. even someone with rubbish logic skills LIKE ME and who probably won't do amazing will do it , because the uni's i want to apply to, to some degree use the ukcat, so even if i get 500 average, it's better than nothing
Try harder. :wink:

GP work experience is the easiest to get.

Not always.. I find hospitals easier because they actually give you a chance!
Every GP practice I contacted told me a straight no as soon as I mentioned work exp. ... :frown:

(Although I managed to randomly meet a GP who is letting me do work exp. :smile: )
it's obvious he is going to do it. To apply to medicine you need to do it. even someone with rubbish logic skills LIKE ME and who probably won't do amazing will do it , because the uni's i want to apply to, to some degree use the ukcat, so even if i get 500 average, it's better than nothing

If I apply to Oxford, Imperial and UCL only, no need to do the UKCAT. I'm not exactly obliged to apply to 4 as I may just decide to study in the states. You're quite annoying.

=) good 'ol jaffer:wink: apply to harvard

yeah good idea, i'll try going in myself on a rampage for W/E. On aside note, ever seen junior doctors - your life in their hands? what do you think about how we can handle that stress?

I shall see. Princeton is my first choice if I go for the states though.
Have I told you that you're very annoying?

Original post by sablarrr
Better book soon, otherwise it will be £80. I don't understand the extortionate fee either!

This is my worry, but I don't think I've done too badly (Bet that comment will bite me in the ass on results day :lol:). Plus, I want a good 4 weeks to practise.

Do it man, and thank me later. :lol: :smug:

I'll thank you now :smile: :p:
I'll do it. :smile:

maybe :ninja:
Salamunaylkum to muslims on here/ hello to everyone
i'd like to ask something, if you've done exams or have a few left,
how much work experience have you got/ are planning to get? i've got none as it's difficult and i keep getting rejected.
also, does anyone know how they are revising on the UKCAT? and how they find it?
any tips, like on the math section?

=/ i'm predicted terrible a/s results, but have booked the UKCAT for the 3rd of september

My exams are done.
I've got 2 weeks work experience at a pharmacy already, got 4 weeks of work experience planned in the summer ( each week a different department), I'm currently trying to sort out some work experience at a G.P. Just write loads of letters and ring people up if you get no reply, you have to chase people up but not so much that they get annoyed.
I'm revising for UKCAT via book called passing the UKCAT and BMAT. I'm just doing UKCAT though not the BMAT. You need to know your GCSE maths inside out for the maths section well at least that is what I've heard from friends and past students.
Predicted AS results are meaningless I was predicted C+D's for my GCSE's after my mock came out with 2A*s 5As and 3Bs not amazing results but not bad either.
If you change your mind you can always cancel the UKCAT.
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Not always.. I find hospitals easier because they actually give you a chance!
Every GP practice I contacted told me a straight no as soon as I mentioned work exp. ... :frown:

(Although I managed to randomly meet a GP who is letting me do work exp. :smile: )

I've tried 2 GP's and gotten places at both :p:
Hospitals and carehomes, I've had a 0% success rate :laugh:
Such flirting going on here. :colone:
If I apply to Oxford, Imperial and UCL only, no need to do the UKCAT. I'm not exactly obliged to apply to 4 as I may just decide to study in the states. You're quite annoying.

I shall see. Princeton is my first choice if I go for the states though.
Have I told you that you're very annoying?

I'll thank you now :smile: :p:
I'll do it. :smile:

maybe :ninja:

if that's what you want to do jaffer, then you do it. i can't say anything, as you clearly are capable/will think about your descision
Best of luck Inshallah may we all suceed.
limitless, mashallah nice man.

Yeah, i heard for the UKCAT, we need to know reverse percentages, percentages inside out, converting between different curruencies, good mental arithmetic, short-cuts in calculations, and being able to quickly pull-off relevant information

they say you can't revise, but it's obvious you can prepare.

God will will whatever he wants to, i pray to him to make us all pass. Even if we don't, we need to dust off, stand up, and just keep going.

PS: nice the way you turned around the GCSE's, sweet man

try this:

hospital = 0%
Care home = so far, 0%
GP = 0%

Oh lol, we've had slightly opposite experiences :tongue:

Suppose it depends a lot on where you live :smile:
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Oh lol, we've had slightly opposite experiences :tongue:

Suppose it depends a lot on where you live :smile:

Haha :laugh: I guess that's possibly true I wish we could swap places for a week so I could get hold of a care home and hospital :laugh:

try this:

hospital = 0%
Care home = so far, 0%
GP = 0%

Try this: Try harder.

Such flirting going on here. :colone:

Who's flirting? :laugh:
limitless, mashallah nice man.

Yeah, i heard for the UKCAT, we need to know reverse percentages, percentages inside out, converting between different curruencies, good mental arithmetic, short-cuts in calculations, and being able to quickly pull-off relevant information

they say you can't revise, but it's obvious you can prepare.

God will will whatever he wants to, i pray to him to make us all pass. Even if we don't, we need to dust off, stand up, and just keep going.

PS: nice the way you turned around the GCSE's, sweet man

I think you can't revise in the sense as in like other subjects, but you can prepare and get ready for the type of questions. I'll be doing the exam in ramadhan so inshallah I'll do well, what better state than fasting to take the exam in. :biggrin:
Reply 3616
I think you can't revise in the sense as in like other subjects, but you can prepare and get ready for the type of questions. I'll be doing the exam in ramadhan so inshallah I'll do well, what better state than fasting to take the exam in. :biggrin:

Good stuff! :biggrin:

2? Just go on google and type in GPs then your town/city or whatever, then write a letter explaining why you want the experience and stuff then just send it to every GP via post. Wait about a week or so if you still have no reply then ring them up. I've written the letter but cannot post it as I don't have any stamps and envelopes at my house.

I'm onto you don't act all innocent. :L
Haha :laugh: I guess that's possibly true I wish we could swap places for a week so I could get hold of a care home and hospital :laugh:

Try this: Try harder.

you're right, that's what i'll do

Mashallah, spot on.

I wanted to do it in Ramadhan, but then decided to book it for the third of september. I just felt i needed some time after results day, if it goes badly, to remove it from my mind, and also, yeah. Fasting was not a big issue, but yeah:smile:
2? Just go on google and type in GPs then your town/city or whatever, then write a letter explaining why you want the experience and stuff then just send it to every GP via post. Wait about a week or so if you still have no reply then ring them up. I've written the letter but cannot post it as I don't have any stamps and envelopes at my house.

I'm onto you don't act all innocent. :L

I know lol. I don't need any more GP work lol. I'm fine with 2 lol

What? :puppyeyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending