The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4820
Original post by manic_fuzz
i have no idea :L Imperial Hospitals has an application procedure and i applied in January just before the application procedure shut due to too many people applying :s-smilie: i didn't really expect a place being it said it give priority to people in London, but i guess... what i wrote in my 'personal statement' bit and a lot of luck :redface:

:frown: don't live in london
Original post by BMAT
:frown: don't live in london

neither do i :s-smilie:
Reply 4822
neither do i :s-smilie:

where did you stay?
Original post by BMAT
where did you stay?

was planning on a Travelodge, but ended up staying at my bestfriend's aunt's house
Original post by Organ
care home? I was 16 when I started at a care home...

I never mentioned a carehome... :confused:

I was talking about a hospital :tongue:

I'm trying carehomes next as the rest of my volunteering applications were unsuccessful thus far.
Reply 4825
was planning on a Travelodge, but ended up staying at my bestfriend's aunt's house

ahh:smile:

i wish i had known about these things before=p either way, great experience mate, hope you enjoyed it:smile:
Reply 4826
Original post by Joseppea
I never mentioned a carehome... :confused:

I was talking about a hospital :tongue:

I'm trying carehomes next as the rest of my volunteering applications were unsuccessful thus far.

hospitals?
Reply 4827
13 As examination results come out again there will undoubtedly be concerns about the state of
the education system. If the results are good then we will hear that the examinations are
becoming too easy. On the other hand, if the results are poor, then we will hear about the poor
state of funding for the education sector. Since there will be negative stories in the press either
way, we should ignore these stories and not worry about them.
Which one of the following is the best statement of the flaw in the above argument?

A The options are restricted to the results being either good or bad.
B It makes an unwarranted attack on the press.
C It makes a prediction about the future which is not supported by any evidence.
D It fails to establish that examinations are becoming easier.
E The fact that a negative story is inevitable does not mean that it should be ignore

why is the answer E, and not A

? it's so confusing! E assumes that the story will always be invetiable...

so you don't know if it will be or not!

A is right in my eyes!
Reply 4828
Original post by BMAT
is it good

Don't know, don't have time to read it yet
Original post by Nator
I thought it hasn't been published yet? Did you order it off amazon?

It's not, but I preordered it and it came today
I'm gonna take a small break from BMAT and UKCAT revision for the next few days, and work on my personal statement :smile:
Reply 4830
15 Although child road deaths and serious injuries have fallen by 52% in the past ten years, we
should not assume that lessons in road safety are no longer vital for school pupils. A
Government study reports that in 2006 almost 1,300 boy pedestrians and 700 girl pedestrians
were killed or seriously injured in road traffic accidents, and that 500 child cyclists were killed or
seriously injured, more than 400 of whom were male.
Assuming that 2006 is a representative year for road accidents involving child pedestrians and
cyclists, which one of the following is a conclusion that can be drawn from the passage above?

A There are more boys than girls who own and ride bicycles.
B Girls spend less time than boys as pedestrians unsupervised by adults.
C Boys are much more likely than girls to take risks when cycling.
D
Boys are more than twice as likely as girls to be killed or seriously injured as
pedestrians or cyclists.
E
Lessons in road safety specially designed for male pupils would reduce child road
deaths

i'm a fool..

note to self, please read a question carefully, and do what you may feel is obvious! but not blatant! look into the question...

it says twice as likely...immediatley you see 1300 and 700 and say, no...but read carefully and you'll realise that actually, you need to add both up!

-slaps self-

ps guys, i got less than 30% when i did the specimen for section 1
Reply 4831
Original post by EternalDoom
I'm gonna take a small break from BMAT and UKCAT revision for the next few days, and work on my personal statement :smile:

i've not been doing either revision tbh

very little, i'm only starting to crank up the gear

what kind of voluntary, or work experience have you been participating in?
Reply 4832
9 Which one of the following, if true, would present the strongest challenge to the inference that
the vervet monkeys in the study showed preferences that varied in accordance with their sex?

A
The more aggressive sex monopolised the toys that were the most attractive to the
monkeys.
B Male monkeys lost interest in the toys they chose more quickly than the females.
C
Monkeys also show preferences for different kinds of food when they are given a
choice.
D
No other species besides monkeys has been observed to demonstrate preferences
for different toys.
E
Vervet monkeys exhibit signs of social behaviour, for example warning each other of
danger.

I am going to debate this question, it's VERY vague..why is the answer B?
Reply 4833
Original post by cz100
It's not, but I preordered it and it came today

Oh ok, lemme know if it's good when you have the chance to read it
Could someone mark my section 3 BMAT essay:

'Science is a great and glorious enterprise - the most successful, I argue, that human beings have ever engaged in. To reproach it for its inability to answer all the questions we should like to put to it is no more sensible than to reproach a railway locomotive for not flying or, in general, not performing any other operation for which it was not designed.'

(The Limits of Science, Peter Medawar)

From the statement, I understand that science has addressed and found solutions and broadened our understanding of many different concepts. Science has no clear specific operation for which it was designed but essentially is an attempt by human beings to find a cause and reason for everything in existence.

An underlying principle of science is to suggest a plausible mechanism or explanation to questions. An example is science has figured out how the body attempts to recover itself after an illness, which is done by the immune system and the action of B and T lymphocytes, which is a plausible explanation and has been proven through tests.

But on the other hand, science can only be advanced in certain cases if we know 'how' to advance it. For psychological disorders we attempt to find the basic root of the displayed abnormal behaviour caused by the mind, but there are no clear-cut ways, as the human mind is ultimately so complex that it hasn't fully been understood by science yet.

Another example of how science is limited is through its technological advancements. Science is unable to provide a definite answer to if extraterrestrial beings exist, because humans have not made enough progress yet to check out the whole universe and confirm if they exist. Although our knowledge and potential through science is gradually increasing, it relies primarily on human existence.

In conclusion, science can give plausible explanations for a number of cases, but its advancement is dependant on human advancements and so it is a mutual relationship between the two that gives rise to the whole concept of 'science'.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4835

xQUOTE]

i'll read it, if you can help me aswell:smile:
Reply 4836

'Science is a great and glorious enterprise - the most successful, I argue, that human beings have ever engaged in. To reproach it for its inability to answer all the questions we should like to put to it is no more sensible than to reproach a railway locomotive for not flying or, in general, not performing any other operation for which it was not designed.'

(The Limits of Science, Peter Medawar)

From the statement, I understand that science has addressed and found solutions and broadened our understanding of many different concepts. Science has no clear specific operation for which it was designed but essentially is an attempt by human beings to find a cause and reason for everything in existence.

An underlying principle of science is to suggest a plausible mechanism or explanation to questions. An example is science has figured out how the body attempts to recover itself after an illness, which is done by the immune system and the action of B and T lymphocytes, which is a plausible explanation and has been proven through tests.

But on the other hand, science can only be advanced in certain cases if we know 'how' to advance it. For psychological disorders we attempt to find the basic root of the displayed abnormal behaviour caused by the mind, but there are no clear-cut ways, as the human mind is ultimately so complex that it hasn't fully been understood by science yet.

Another example of how science is limited is through its technological advancements. Science is unable to provide a definite answer to if extraterrestrial beings exist, because humans have not made enough progress yet to check out the whole universe and confirm if they exist. Although our knowledge and potential through science is gradually increasing, it relies primarily on human existence.

In conclusion, science can give plausible explanations for a number of cases, but its advancement is dependant on human advancements and so it is a mutual relationship between the two that gives rise to the whole concept of 'science'.

http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/123902_BMAT_Section_1_2010.pdf

Number eighteen:smile: if you can
Reply 4838
Original post by Normandy114
I make it 13 / B

i made it E, but the answer is D?

share methods?
Reply 4839
Original post by Normandy114
I make it 13 / B

discuss answers?

Latest

Trending