The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

structure of writing a personal statement?
Original post by Sweet_shafz
structure of writing a personal statement?

27 A car of mass 800kg moves up an incline of 1 in 20 (1 in 20 means for every 20m along the road
the car gains 1m in height) at a constant speed of 20m/s. The frictional force opposing motion is
500N.
How much work has been done by the engine after the car has moved 50m?

A 20kJ
B 25kJ
C 27kJ
D 45kJ
E 65kJ
F 160kJ

What do you mean by structure??
Original post by whatdoido
hi guys

i've got nursing home voluntary, but am quite shy!

like really shy.

I'm fairly shy I guess around new people, but don't let it stop you. :smile:

They're not gonna bite :tongue: besides, I'm guessing you're only there a couple of hours a week - you'll start making friends/learning how to occupy yourself.
by structure i mean a plan of how to write a personal statement for medicine/foundation medicine?
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I must disagree with your point about work experience. There is an individual in my year, a graduate, who had a single day's work experience at a GPs Surgery. Having spoken to my friends I have found that most have 10 days or less of work experience.

Work experience is good, but you shouldn't be making comments like 'You must have this much...' Or 'You WILL be rejected'. As one of your feedback pieces illustrates, in order to secure an offer you have to reflect on what you learned whilst doing the work experience. The length of time is not necessarily indicative of anything.

Thanks for this reply, I was halfway between 'is he taking the ****ing piss' and '****, ****, ****'. You obviously moved me over to the former.
Original post by AminurRahman
Here's some advice on how to become a "hopeful entrant", because most of you seem like you will be rejected.

1st, dropping an AS in your first year will not improve your chances at medical school, (Although many students do it) and therefore is not recommended. What I would recommend is, continue your fourth AS to A2, or if you want to drop it, then choose a different AS as it gives you a broader depth of knowledge. Subjects I would drop at AS is Biology, or any other subject apart from Chemistry. I say Biology because A2 Biology is usually to do with plants and animals, and most universities won't be that fussed about Biology at A2. I also recommend you take the Extended Project and do really well in it as it equips you very well for university, and is highly valued by every university. Apart from the normal A levels (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths), I recommend you take at least one of the following subjects at AS at least as your 3rd or 4th A level, or as an extra AS in your second year, Psychology, Philosophy, Anthropology, English Language, Law or Foreign/Modern Languages. The reason I say this is because, these are academically rigorous subjects and all have applications to medicine that are sometimes not a part of some medical degrees. Therefore, it is good to have an idea in these subjects. Plus, university is all about being academic, regardless of what degree you do, so you need to show them that you can handle such high level of study, especially medicine!

2nd, work experience is very important. If you don't have a good amount of work experience, don't bother applying because you WILL get rejected, that is how fierce the competition is. You should have done at least 2 different types of work experience totalling up to at least 20 days. Work experience does not have to be medical related, but has to be in some form of caring or communicating role. This can include anything relating to: Hospitals, Clinics, Care Homes, Rehab Centres, Retail Stores, Restaurants, Fundraising, Surveying, Public Events and many others. Voluntary work is much more better than doing a one week work placement or getting a part-time job, as it shows your enthusiasm, commitment and ambition to want to help people. That doesn't mean, if you get a job offer or work placement offer you don't do it, you still should do it, as you need all the help you can get to face the competition of medical school. Also, make sure your work experiences are a major part of your statements, along with stating exactly what you LEARNT from it, not just "I worked here and help a man" but rather, "I worked at so-and-so and gave support to a patient with so-and-so disorder. It gave me valuable experience, as I began to learn how such people live, cope and deal with their situations and problems, and how I can possibly be a major part of their life by improving their health by doing so-and-so" etc something like that.

3rd, early application along with a very strong statement, and a really good reference from your personal tutor. The slightest flaw can destroy all of your chances. Stay on your tutors GOOD side, keep an excellent attendance and always work hard and hand in homework/coursework etc well before it is due.

4th, if you here about any events that will be running by any universities, colleges or any other insitution that is science or healthcare related, do your best to try and attend these, as you could learn so much.

5th, don't put yourself down if you think you can't study medicine because you don't have enough GCSE's. Most universities don't really bother with them because they expect students to already have them, and your A levels can compensate for them. Even if you can't study A levels, and you end up on a BTEC, there is still a chance, as long as you have A level chemistry at grade A and your BTEC is all Distinction work. Yes! BTEC applicants DO get into medical school, although it is rare. This also goes for people studying other qualifications, as long as you have A level chemistry, and the amount of study you do is equivalent to 3 A levels, then you stand a chance! But to be honest, out of all the different types of students, the type of students that have the best chance are the IB students. Because they do so much more than A level students.

6th, being cleverer doesn't improve your chances of medical school. It is all about commitment. Do you want to be spending the rest of your life studying? Don't consider medicine as a science, consider it as your life. Science is about discoveries. Medicine is about saving lives, treating people and improving health care. Every single day of your life as a doctor will be different. You will meet different people, with different illnesses. Especially ones that you may not have heard of before, which is where the studying comes in. Some specialties, it takes at least 13 years to fully qualify. You need to consider whether you are prepared for that. There is no quick or easy way into medicine, and being JUST clever will kill your chances, as this shows universities you're big headed.

And finally, remember that, Medicine is not a course where you attend lectures and sit exams, it is a vocational course. Without practical experience (Work exp), backed up with highly academic ability (Strong grades) you are most likely not to get in. For every seat, there are 8-30 applicants (Depending on university). On top of this, you get a lot of graduates that apply, and you can't compete with people that already have degrees! That's why, you need to show that, regardless of if someone has a higher qualification than you, you can be a better doctor than they can ever dream of. Hopes this helps everyone, and good luck for everyone applying to medical school. Any questions, just ask away, either on here or message me.

1. You need 4 AS levels and 3 A2 levels there is no point in doing more as the standard offer is usually AAA or on rare occasions AAB.
2. Quality>Qualntity you need a good amount of work experience by this I mean not too much and not too little. It is more about what you have learnt from the work experience.
3. It depends what the slight flow is in different universities value different things more than others.
4. No don't attend all events some are pretty useless and just give you free information which you can find yourself with a bit of research.
6. Agree. It is more about the type of person you are and if you are prepared to put in the effort rather then how smart you are.
Reply 4986
To do work experience at stables / equine centres does anyone know if I have to be an experienced rider or anything?
Original post by Tasheroo
To do work experience at stables / equine centres does anyone know if I have to be an experienced rider or anything?

Why are you doing work experience there?
Reply 4988
Original post by Quackers93
I've not read that but I've recently been given it and it does seem like a good book though I've only read a few pages :tongue: Erm I tried to think of loads of questions they could ask me and planned out what I'd say but I never actually stuck to it. I just said what I thought at the time. Thing with those books is that if you end up answering them like the book does it might seem fake whereas I just spoken from my mind and the way I explained things they could tell it was my own, if that makes sense - In my feedback letter I was rated excellent or very good for most bits in the interview so I musta said something good :smile:

Ah okay thanks, yeah I'll do some preparation obviously but just say what I think at the time :smile: did you have to ask for the feedback letter or do unis just send you them?
Original post by Normandy114
Why are you doing work experience there?

Vet. medicine perhaps?
Original post by EternalDoom
Vet. medicine perhaps?

Then why post it in this thread in this forum?
Reply 4991
Original post by aqua05
Which canadian medical unis you planning to apply ?

Just McGill :smile:
Reply 4992
Original post by godknowsprerna
hey i dont know.. i m still researching into it... have u thought of any particular univ there.. n how r u goin to get the funds ?

yeahh I want to go to McGill, and I was born in Canada so I have Canadian citizenship which means I'm eligible for the lower fees and a Canadian student loan :smile:
:^_^:
Original post by rhetoric
Ah okay thanks, yeah I'll do some preparation obviously but just say what I think at the time :smile: did you have to ask for the feedback letter or do unis just send you them?

Erm I think I emailed them asking for it :smile: I only did it for one or two of them cause I didn't really care about the others :tongue: Took a little for it to come through but it came and was pretty useful :smile: In my opinion if you do get rejected (hopefully not) only apply for feedback from the uni's you like or would want to reapply to because each uni wants different things. And if each of them didn't like a particular aspect then you'll be left feeling really bad. But get just the ones you want and use it as constructive criticism :smile:

Original post by *WiNdOw LiCkEr*
Yes, that does sound like a good idea, do uni's tell you if you are on the waiting list? (I hope not! :redface: )

Unfortunatly I think so :frown: I'm gonna give it a go anyways, they can only say no :^_^:
Original post by loz876
Just McGill :smile:

Is it not post grad in Canada?
Reply 4995
Original post by ChessMister
Is it not post grad in Canada?

yeah it is, I'll do a BSc first
Reply 4996
hi , are u all ready for ukcat?
Original post by sonell
hi , are u all ready for ukcat?

Slowly getting there :tongue:
Reply 4998
I'm doing bio,chem,physics and maths , and I thought of doing psychocology in A2.what do u think?can anyone give some idea about psycology to me?
Reply 4999
Original post by Normandy114
Then why post it in this thread in this forum?

Oops! Soz had a slow moment ! :colondollar: I did mean for vet medicine, wrong forum!

Latest

Trending

Trending