The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Anyone Else Starting the Japanese Studies Course in September 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by Im_a_cyborg
It's just a booklet with a timetable in it for the registration period and various forms that need filling in and sending off like the form for your university card etc.

This?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Yes, thats the one.
@whoever asked..

Scholarships are going more and more to Students from Asia i.e. China, india and so forth. Though not to say a few people wont get one -)
Original post by Tommles
80 credits of Japanese language, 20 credits of Japan-related modules, and 20 credits unrestricted. You'll therefore probably do 4 non-language modules. Or it could be 3 since most modules are 10 credits but some are 20 credits.

You have to do at least 2 modules from J Politics, J History, J Literature and J Economy. Then the other 20 credits can be whatever you want from anywhere within the uni. There are lots of other modules you can do in the East Asian Studies department relating to other countries, so you could do Chinese politics or Korean history or Gender in East Asia etc. There's quite a lot to choose from. This link will give you an idea of the ones you can pick - click on each one to see more about it and how it's assessed. http://www-online.shef.ac.uk:3001/pls/live/web_cal.cal3_unit_form?dept_code=EAS&dept_name=East+Asian+Studies&disp_year=10

The 20 credit modules (this year) were only in the 2nd semester, so you could only do a 20 credit module if you'd done your 2 Japan modules in the 1st semester (which meant doing politics and history). Complicated, I know! Not sure if I have explained it clearly enough. They will explain all of this to you in your intro meeting of course :smile:

Thank you, I am just a little confused about how the courses work with regards to semesters... some say Spring and some say Autumn. Does this mean you need to choose modules that work with the times of the other modules?

e.g.

Japan’s Economy & Management (spring) 10
Japanese Literature (spring) 10
&
Work & Society in Japan (autumn) 20

...as opposed to:

&
Chinese Culture & Society (spring) 10
Japanese History (autumn) 10

I prefer the 2nd option here, I don't feel I would do well in Politics! I'm actually a little worried about economics too as I have NO experience whatsoever with the subject lol, I expect it could be interesting though... so long as I can take in all the information and remember it for the exams!!
The 'Media and Public Communication in Japan (spring) 15' sounds very interesting but since it's 15 points it's hard to match it up with something else!
I also saw 'Gender in East Asia (spring) 20' and would want to study that, only it's during the Spring - the same time as literature and economy!! :confused: :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 324
Original post by Digital_Love
Thank you, I am just a little confused about how the courses work with regards to semesters... some say Spring and some say Autumn. Does this mean you need to choose modules that work with the times of the other modules?

e.g.

&
Work & Society in Japan (autumn) 20

...as opposed to:

&
Chinese Culture & Society (spring) 10
Japanese History (autumn) 10

I prefer the 2nd option here, I don't feel I would do well in Politics! I'm actually a little worried about economics too as I have NO experience whatsoever with the subject lol, I expect it could be interesting though... so long as I can take in all the information and remember it for the exams!!
The 'Media and Public Communication in Japan (spring) 15' sounds very interesting but since it's 15 points it's hard to match it up with something else!
I also saw 'Gender in East Asia (spring) 20' and would want to study that, only it's during the Spring - the same time as literature and economy!! :confused: :rolleyes:

You have 20 free credits per semester. So you can't do 30/10 or 40/0. Your first example would be OK, but not your 2nd example.

You wouldn't be able to do "Work and Society" though - or Media in Japan, since neither of them are first year modules. The ones you can pick from are those that begin with EAS1__ on the module directory.

Yes, that's the problem everyone has unfortunately - there might be lots you want to do in Spring, but none in Autumn. You just have to pick whichever looks best.

It doesn't matter if you haven't studied the subjects before at all really, they don't expect you to know about politics or economics already. I'd never done politics before, and hadn't done literature since GCSE, and I did well in both of them :smile:
Original post by Tommles
The ones you can pick from are those that begin with EAS1__ on the module directory.

Yes, that's the problem everyone has unfortunately - there might be lots you want to do in Spring, but none in Autumn. You just have to pick whichever looks best.

It doesn't matter if you haven't studied the subjects before at all really, they don't expect you to know about politics or economics already. I'd never done politics before, and hadn't done literature since GCSE, and I did well in both of them :smile:

It makes sense now! And the options are suddenly clearer, though there don't seem to be many modules that are not related to politics or economics in some way lol. It's very good to hear you did well in your modules, I think I just worry to much. I'm just scared of getting through the semester and ****ping myself because of the technical terms that I don't understand! Can you possibly recommend any reading (preferably websites) that I can look at for preparation for the politics/economics modules? If not then it's fine, I feel like I may be asking too much already.... I do thank you for your guidance!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 326
Original post by Digital_Love
It makes sense now! And the options are suddenly clearer, though there don't seem to be many modules that are not related to politics or economics in some way lol. It's very good to hear you did well in your modules, I think I just worry to much. I'm just scared of getting through the semester and ****ping myself because of the technical terms that I don't understand! Can you possibly recommend any reading (preferably websites) that I can look at for preparation for the politics/economics modules? If not then it's fine, I feel like I may be asking too much already.... I do thank you for your guidance!!

Don't worry it is a bit confusing if you haven't had it explained to you (it will all be explained in your intro meeting).

Yes there's definitely lots of politics, history and economics modules. There aren't really many technical terms at all (if there are then they're explained)- the focus is definitely on the Japan part rather than the politics/economics part.

Hmm, that's tricky, we didn't have any textbooks for either, just articles and things. For politics I would suggest reading on Wikipedia about the Diet of Japan and Elections in Japan - you'll learn about those.

And for Economics check out the Economic history of Japan - you'll be learning about that in more detail too.
Reply 327
It's still eight hours to go until results are published, but I'll throw the question into the thread anyway so those stopping by here tomorrow see it:

To all conditional offer holders -- did you get in? :O
Reply 328
Original post by avila
It's still eight hours to go until results are published, but I'll throw the question into the thread anyway so those stopping by here tomorrow see it:

To all conditional offer holders -- did you get in? :O

The current status of your Application is:
"Congratulations! Your place at The University of Sheffield (S18) to study Japanese Studies and History (TV21) has been confirmed. "

Reply 329
I got into "SO-AZZ"!!!!

:adore:
Reply 330
Original post by ussumane
I got into "SO-AZZ"!!!!

Congratulations! Was shocked to seee places in clearing for Japanese straight and combined at SOAS. Was ready to pounce of Japanese and Korean if things diidn't go right.
Reply 331
Original post by Susant
The current status of your Application is:
"Congratulations! Your place at The University of Sheffield (S18) to study Japanese Studies and History (TV21) has been confirmed. "

Original post by ussumane
I got into "SO-AZZ"!!!!

Congratulations to both of you! :biggrin:
Reply 332
Original post by Susant
Congratulations! Was shocked to seee places in clearing for Japanese straight and combined at SOAS. Was ready to pounce of Japanese and Korean if things diidn't go right.

Oh SOAS has courses on clearing? I didn't even knew that!

OK, THEY TOOK SO LONG TO REPLY TO US ALL, AND THEY DONT EVEN HAVE ENOUGH STUDENTS TO FILL THE JAP COURSE??? :angry::angry:
Original post by avila

Tenk u tenk u mistah!
Reply 333
Original post by avila

Dammit. I can't rate you again.

Reply 334
And I'm confirmed! Wooooo:biggrin:
Congratulations to both of you too!!
See you all in September!
Reply 335
Hi. Looks like I'll be joining you.
Reply 336
Interestingly, Sheffield still has Japanese Studies up in clearing for international students. Wasn't it capped at 80 places or so? :redface:
Original post by avila
Interestingly, Sheffield still has Japanese Studies up in clearing for international students. Wasn't it capped at 80 places or so? :redface:

The government sets a limit on the amount of UK students unis can take in (because the government has to fund them). International students fund themselves so the government doesn't restrict it, plus the uni gets more money out of it. I cant see many non EU students coming to the UK to do Japanese, they probably have the money to do it in Japan. (There were no international students in my year to my knowledge.)
Reply 338
Original post by Im_a_cyborg
The government sets a limit on the amount of UK students unis can take in (because the government has to fund them). International students fund themselves so the government doesn't restrict it, plus the uni gets more money out of it. I cant see many non EU students coming to the UK to do Japanese, they probably have the money to do it in Japan. (There were no international students in my year to my knowledge.)

Ah, that makes sense then. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 339
So. How good are you all at Japanese language? I've never had the opportunity to study it as an in-school subject, so I've really just taught myself the basics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending