The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Anyone Else Starting the Japanese Studies Course in September 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 07734
Really? Is vorpal different then? I was told to put my picture on vorpal before 15th September to get my uni card when I register.

Vorpal? for my uni card i had to send my picture with a form before I registered.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
I second Dane....I've no idea what this 'Vorpal' is....
Reply 402
Definitely not something at Sheffield Uni. :V

http://google.shef.ac.uk/search?q=vorpal
Reply 403
Nevermind :colondollar: I asked the guy I got the info off again and he said that was his nickname for the registration department :/ I need to punch him in September.

http://www.shef.ac.uk/newstudents/registration/before/ucard

Says we can pick up on card during registration though :smile: but we won't know how until early September.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by avila

Edit: Here, have a description for Japanese History though. I got that ages ago by asking for it via e-mail. :x

That attachment was amazing, really in-depth information about the History module. I'm very interested to see this for the other modules. Do you have them too? If not, how would you suggest I find them?

Thanks!
Reply 405
Original post by Digital_Love
That attachment was amazing, really in-depth information about the History module. I'm very interested to see this for the other modules. Do you have them too? If not, how would you suggest I find them?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't have any other ones. I got it by emailing SEAS and asking for it. I told them the descriptions on the module website weren't good enough for me to make informed decisions. :smile:
Reply 406
I'm going for History and Literature. I can't say that either subject appeals to me hugely, but it sounds a lot better to me than the other options. I dropped English History as soon as I could in High School, but Japanese History does sound a whole lot more interesting.

I wish I could do more language modules, though. There isn't any way of doing that, is there?
Original post by RedTide

Original post by RedTide
I'm going for History and Literature. I can't say that either subject appeals to me hugely, but it sounds a lot better to me than the other options. I dropped English History as soon as I could in High School, but Japanese History does sound a whole lot more interesting.

I wish I could do more language modules, though. There isn't any way of doing that, is there?

I feel the same way. I'm sure the modules will get more interesting as we do them but if I could have my way I'd study East Asian Cinema if that was still an option, and put some spring modules in place of the autumn ones! I think the choice is quite limited!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 408
Ahhh, I was wondering why this thread wasn't updating then realised it'd somehow escaped from my watched threads :s-smilie:

So, anyone Skype?
Reply 409
Sure. Username is "redpaperwhite". I like red.
I'm up for voice chats so long as it's in a group.

I need to say something about the course, I feel like I've not contributed very much here.
Reply 410
Yay, other people use Skype. I never got MSN working right.

If anyone wants it, pm me for my username. I had to make it my real name for professional reasons so I can't post it on the interwebs. :frown:
You can add me as ninomijo but I'm hardly ever on Skype so forgive me if I forget to sign on :tongue:
is there a facebook page for us japanese students 2011/12? someone should make one if there isnt one lol
Reply 413
Original post by GuineaPrig
You can add me as ninomijo but I'm hardly ever on Skype so forgive me if I forget to sign on :tongue:

Added you. :O

Original post by Narutofan88
is there a facebook page for us japanese students 2011/12? someone should make one if there isnt one lol

http://www.facebook.com/groups/163901023664195/ is what it was I think. I don't remember; Facebook banned me after realizing my profile was fake. You can stalk the group's owner at http://nihonburp.com/
Reply 414
Original post by Narutofan88

http://www.facebook.com/groups/163901023664195/

Cool people only :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 415
So after months of begging, I finally received one of these rare Japanese-German cultural exchange buttons. I was literally jumping with joy when I opened the mail earlier today... my neighbors probably think I've totally lost it.

Stalking me has never been easier with this on my bag. :V

Fun fact: the kanji for Germany - - also means alone. English people got their kanji - - without any other meanings. :<
Reply 416
Original post by avila
Fun fact: the kanji for Germany - - also means alone. English people got their kanji - - without any other meanings. :<

also means like すぐれている (brilliant?). For example in 英才教育 (special education for gifted children).

Congratulations by the way! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 417
:frown: Booo, I asked twice if anyone wanted to add me on msn or Skype and only three people responded altogther.

:P Don't leave me feeling lonely over here guys. Pm me for Skype address and I'll add when I go home next week.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 418
Original post by 07734
:frown: Booo, I asked twice if anyone wanted to add me on msn or Skype and only three people responded altogther.

:P Don't leave me feeling lonely over here guys. Pm me for Skype address and I'll add when I go home next week.

Pm'd! :tongue:
Reply 419
Original post by Ash S
also means like すぐれている (brilliant?). For example in 英才教育 (special education for gifted children).

Congratulations by the way! :biggrin:

I do wonder why they came up with representing English. I'd assume it already meant brilliant before that. Too bad there's no module that teaches the origin of kanji, how they evolved, etc. I could actually imagine that being kind of fun. :O

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending