The Student Room Group

UTI problem - help me now please.

As some of you may know, I ended up going into hospital monday night and i made a thread about it, turns out it is most likely an ovarian cyst causing the pain and I need to have a scan done.

But this morning, I woke up with another urinary tract infection. This is my 10th in 7 months. I am SICK of them. I had to go to a walk in centre today, and saw a helpful doctor who is sending a sample off, given me antibiotics, and has told me to go back to my normal doctors and ask for a scan of my kidneys and ovaries. But tonight I really don't feel well again, I've got a fever and I'm feeling sick.

I don't know what to do, this week has just been a blur of hospitals doctors nurses needles x rays samples... I feel if I were to go back again they would just think I'm some major hypochondriac, but I'm sick of feeling ill and I'm sick of being ill, I don't know what to do I'm not feeling any better I feel really hot.
anyone? :frown:
Reply 2
So despite the antibiotics, its getting worse? You've got a fever and nausea, this suggests its moving up to your kidneys. You should probably go to A&E or this is going to get VERY nasty! Don't worry about what they're going to think, your health comes first! You can pm me, I have quite a lot of UTI experience myself!
Reply 3
I often get fever and nausea with UTIs, try not to panic. They're awful aren't they :frown: you poor thing. If the doctors have sent samples off and you've got antibiotics there's not much else you can do is there. You know the drill by now i'm sure, lots of water. I'd say go back if you think it reaches a point that YOU think is dangerous. After all, they can't deny that you have experience with these things can they? I hope you feel better soon and they sort something out for you.
Reply 4
A&E
Original post by sheepy18
So despite the antibiotics, its getting worse? You've got a fever and nausea, this suggests its moving up to your kidneys. You should probably go to A&E or this is going to get VERY nasty! Don't worry about what they're going to think, your health comes first! You can pm me, I have quite a lot of UTI experience myself!

Original post by Ohlavelle
I often get fever and nausea with UTIs, try not to panic. They're awful aren't they :frown: you poor thing. If the doctors have sent samples off and you've got antibiotics there's not much else you can do is there. You know the drill by now i'm sure, lots of water. I'd say go back if you think it reaches a point that YOU think is dangerous. After all, they can't deny that you have experience with these things can they? I hope you feel better soon and they sort something out for you.

Thankyou for replying both of you. I have a question though... if its moved up to your kidneys what do they do? Because if I'm already taking trimethoprim, they can't give you any more because it doesn't have any extra effect after 3 days?
Reply 6
Trimethroprim may not cut it, and I don't think a 3 day course is going to banish it. I recently had a UTI and had antibiotics for a week!
If it is a kidney infection, you'll get a different antibiotic thats more appropriate and you may be put on a drip, depending on the severity.
I don't think you caqn be too careful, so if A&E isn't too far away, I would personally go.
And the thing about 3 days, I've never heard that before, sometimes 3 days isn't long enough, but it depends on the bacteria and how aggressive the infection is when you start the antibiotics.
Okay, really don't feel well.****s sake don't know what to do parents are asleep
Reply 8
Go see a doctor again today. Trimethoprim does not work for all UTIs; you might need something different.
Reply 9
Just a thought, but I used to have really bad recurring UTIs. In the end I convinced my doctor to give me two doses at one time, so I could save the extra course of antibiotics for the next time it came on without having to go to a doctor. It's awful having to wait for an appointment when you're in pain.
I can relate. Not to the needles and scans (I've not been offered them) but I'm struggling with some nasty UTIs myself at the moment (including possible kidney infection) and I've been in agony. Was in hospital myself a couple of weeks ago having woken up in so much pain that I was vomitting and pretty incoherent. Nitrous oxide is amazing!

Getting the diagnosis is a pain. My GP has just said "not much we can do" and given me more antibiotics.

Sorry I can't help. I'm keeping an eye on this thread, though
Original post by Schmokie Dragon
I can relate. Not to the needles and scans (I've not been offered them) but I'm struggling with some nasty UTIs myself at the moment (including possible kidney infection) and I've been in agony. Was in hospital myself a couple of weeks ago having woken up in so much pain that I was vomitting and pretty incoherent. Nitrous oxide is amazing!

Getting the diagnosis is a pain. My GP has just said "not much we can do" and given me more antibiotics.

Sorry I can't help. I'm keeping an eye on this thread, though

well I have the doctors on Monday, and I will not be leaving until I have a promise of a referral for a scan of my kidneys and ovaries like the other doctor said. i am 21, and in the prime of my life, and I refuse to keep being fobbed off and living a poor quality of life. it's not fair.
Reply 12
Original post by insignificant
well I have the doctors on Monday, and I will not be leaving until I have a promise of a referral for a scan of my kidneys and ovaries like the other doctor said. i am 21, and in the prime of my life, and I refuse to keep being fobbed off and living a poor quality of life. it's not fair.

Hi OP,
Sending lots of sympathy your way, they're not fun at all. Definitely investigate it further, you're not being a hypochondriac at all. The only thing I'd add is don't drink loads of water to try and flush it out. By the time the infection has 'set in', drinking lots isn't gonna make a difference and you're just increasing the number of painful toilet trips you'll have to make. Obviously drink enough to stay hydrated in the heat, but no need to overdo it.

Best of luck xx
Original post by Alanine
Hi OP,
Sending lots of sympathy your way, they're not fun at all. Definitely investigate it further, you're not being a hypochondriac at all. The only thing I'd add is don't drink loads of water to try and flush it out. By the time the infection has 'set in', drinking lots isn't gonna make a difference and you're just increasing the number of painful toilet trips you'll have to make. Obviously drink enough to stay hydrated in the heat, but no need to overdo it.

Best of luck xx

Thankyou , yeah I haven't been drinking loads just enough. The antibiotics they gave me make me drowsy anyway so I've just been sleeping a lot of the time. Feel like **** !
Having a bit of a further dilemma. I'm really drowsy. Haven't got out of bed all day been staying in the cool and I'm so tired I've been sleeping three or four hours at a time and waking up for a drink or paracetamol. I had a look at the leaflet to see if it's a normal side effect but it says it's a rare side effect to be drowsy and to go to hospital straight away. Showed my mum and she says it's nothing to worry about and I'm making a fuss out of nothing but I can't stop falling back asleep I can't make it through a tv program without sleeping! Don't want to make a fuss out of this just don't know what to do.

Quick Reply

Latest