The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rohitbd
Got a conditional offer from kings for biomed today of AAB :smile: quite surprised due to me having a med ps though I did have pathology wrk experience, just hoping I get some interviews for medicine know.

Admissions tutors for courses like biomedical sciences are very used to seeing medicine personal statements, so a lot of the time they'll still give an offer purely based on how good your qualifications are. I managed to get one for biochemistry which I was surprised about, but it worked :smile:
Reply 8301
Original post by Normandy114
Admissions tutors for courses like biomedical sciences are very used to seeing medicine personal statements, so a lot of the time they'll still give an offer purely based on how good your qualifications are. I managed to get one for biochemistry which I was surprised about, but it worked :smile:

I get what you mean, but I saw how QMUL had record high apps today (scary as I applied there) and thought other uni's would do as well so didn't really think I'd stand a chance.
Reply 8302
Just got a Biomedical Science Application Acknowledgement. :biggrin:
Original post by rohitbd
I get what you mean, but I saw how QMUL had record high apps today (scary as I applied there) and thought other uni's would do as well so didn't really think I'd stand a chance.

Actually, over all universities and courses, applications have fallen by 9%. I've applied there too, but not that worried, I was expecting it tbh.
Reply 8304
Original post by Besakt
Just got a Biomedical Science Application Acknowledgement. :biggrin:

Good luck, where from?

Actually, over all universities and courses, applications have fallen by 9%. I've applied there too, but not that worried, I was expecting it tbh.

Oooh, but that was expected kind off expected due to people being put off mickey mouse degrees with the fee rise, however I did expect less people (even for medicine) to apply for the london unis due to the extra london debt so I was kind off upset about that :frown:,
do you know if any other uni's have had a rise/fall in med apps :smile:
Original post by rohitbd
Good luck, where from?

Oooh, but that was expected kind off expected due to people being put off mickey mouse degrees with the fee rise, however I did expect less people (even for medicine) to apply for the london unis due to the extra london debt so I was kind off upset about that :frown:,
do you know if any other uni's have had a rise/fall in med apps :smile:

No idea, we only know Barts and the London had a rise because Democracy spotted it on Queen Mary's Facebook feed.
Reply 8306
No idea, we only know Barts and the London had a rise because Democracy spotted it on Queen Mary's Facebook feed.

Lets just hope its not as competitive at other med schools, its going to be interesting on what the ucas tariff cut off will be though :s-smilie:
Reply 8307
Original post by rohitbd
Good luck, where from?

St George, London.
counting down the days till ukcat results are sent! :s-smilie:
Reply 8309
Original post by laurie:)

:eek:
Original post by laurie:)

Original post by Besakt
:eek:

Next week's gonna be a painful week for some, because rejections are gonna start coming in. Nervouss :afraid: !!!
Original post by SylveeDiggs
Next week's gonna be a painful week for some, because rejections are gonna start coming in. Nervouss :afraid: !!!

Would you think that this would only be at places where they use a flat UKCAT cut off, eg Newcastle?

I've applied to Sheffield, but they decide their cut off later, as in after they've organised applications on the strength of their UCAS, then they attach UKCAT scores and set it at a level where a certain number (eg 600) can be interviewed.
Original post by Straight up G
Would you think that this would only be at places where they use a flat UKCAT cut off, eg Newcastle?

Pretty much, so places like Newcastle and a few others like Kings :yep:

I've applied to Sheffield, but they decide their cut off later, as in after they've organised applications on the strength of their UCAS, then they attach UKCAT scores and set it at a level where a certain number (eg 600) can be interviewed.

HYMS does a similar thing, who knows they might have started looking at applications already, so a few could get interviews/rejections next week :yep:
Pretty much, so places like Newcastle and a few others like Kings :yep:

HYMS does a similar thing, who knows they might have started looking at applications already, so a few could get interviews/rejections next week :yep:

Ahh right, fair enough. Leicester probably will dish out rejections soon too, they give your GCSEs a score out of 30, and your UKCAT a score out of 30, then set an overall cut off...
Ahh right, fair enough. Leicester probably will dish out rejections soon too, they give your GCSEs a score out of 30, and your UKCAT a score out of 30, then set an overall cut off...

Yepp thats most likely. Fingers crossed I guess :redface:
Reply 8315

Newcastle don't send out rejections until February.If you look at new info on Sheffield site it doesn't mention the use of a cutoff apart from anyone over average score will be considered.
Original post by JessBess
Newcastle don't send out rejections until February.If you look at new info on Sheffield site it doesn't mention the use of a cutoff apart from anyone over average score will be considered.

I was merely making a point that ukcat unis could start giving out interviews and rejections if they wanted to, not that they would.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8317
St.Andrew have started giving out interviews.
Reply 8318
I was merely making a point that ukcat unis could start giving out interviews and rejections if they wanted to, not that they would.

I agree scary stuff :smile: good luck
Original post by JessBess
I agree scary stuff :smile: good luck

It is indeed, good luck to you to. Where have you applied?

Latest

Trending

Trending