The Student Room Group

How to calm driving test nerves?

I have my driving test tomorrow eeeek! (first time)
Wondered if anyone had any tips on how keep calm during the test and just general tips as I know a lot of people say that nerves make them fail :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I had mine this morning, I tried to dress nice to make myself feel more confident and even though it was freezing opened the window a bit so I had fresh air. Keep calm, they're just people too, do lots of observations and think of it as a normal driving lesson. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
the nerves are the hardest thing.. i still get butterflies thinking about mine (5 until i passed - i made a massive thread about it in this subforum).

just be calm and focussed, just think you are on a lesson, but an important one! all the best!
Reply 3
I got told to get a good nights sleep, bring a bottle of water with me, as you'll get a dry mouth probably, go to the loo in the test centre before your test and just relax :smile: Drive like you would on your lessons and you'll do fine. They aren't there to fail you, they know it messes up your day if you fail, so most of them are nice :smile:

Just relax, you can do it again if you fail :smile:
Reply 4
Tip - Don't do what I did and put your seat as far forward as possible... Your legs won't take 40 minutes of strain :colonhash:
Reply 5
Original post by fairylights
Wondered if anyone had any tips on how keep calm during the test and just general tips as I know a lot of people say that nerves make them fail :frown:

Double shot of vodka will calm you down nicely.
Reply 6
Original post by aimeep13
I had mine this morning, I tried to dress nice to make myself feel more confident and even though it was freezing opened the window a bit so I had fresh air. Keep calm, they're just people too, do lots of observations and think of it as a normal driving lesson. Good luck! :smile:

Good idea about the window! thankyouxx
Reply 7

Just treat it as a normal driving lesson, stay calm, just go through the motions, frame of mind can be quite powerful, in mine I kept thinking 'I'm just doing things normally, because I KNOW I can do it and pass." And I passed first time. :smile: Just keep calm, play down your nerves and just brush it off, working yourself up into a state is why people fail.
Reply 8
Original post by M1F2R3
Tip - Don't do what I did and put your seat as far forward as possible... Your legs won't take 40 minutes of strain :colonhash:

I have to put my seat as far forward as possible or I can't reach the pedals...lol
Reply 9
Original post by KJane
Just treat it as a normal driving lesson, stay calm, just go through the motions, frame of mind can be quite powerful, in mine I kept thinking 'I'm just doing things normally, because I KNOW I can do it and pass." And I passed first time. :smile: Just keep calm, play down your nerves and just brush it off, working yourself up into a state is why people fail.

thank you for the advice :smile: i'll keep reminding myself! x
Reply 10
I have to put my seat as far forward as possible or I can't reach the pedals...lol

Frodo.

As long as you don't strain your legs... I was so nervous on my test, I didn't even think to adjust the seat :facepalm:

Also, it's crucial to always take your time on the test. You're the driver, don't be intimidated by other road users, I was beeped recently for wanting to turn right in the middle of the road... Patience is the key to everything, especially at roundabouts.

Good luck.
Start acting really arrogant about it, trust me that works.
Reply 12
do what i did and pop a tyre driving up a curb 40 mins before the exam and have a mad dash to a garage to get new tyres and drive to the test centre with the instructor at 90mph...

nah, just think its not difficult its like riding a bike, just practice and if youre practiced enough it will just be like having a lesson. dont be afraid to tell your examiner to be quiet too - mine started yapping about her holiday as i was approaching a major intersection and i had to tell her to button it! i passed first time, 6 minors and i think those were because midway through i got bored and started thinking about a guitar riff i was writing before id left
Reply 13
Original post by M1F2R3
Frodo.

As long as you don't strain your legs... I was so nervous on my test, I didn't even think to adjust the seat :facepalm:

Also, it's crucial to always take your time on the test. You're the driver, don't be intimidated by other road users, I was beeped recently for wanting to turn right in the middle of the road... Patience is the key to everything, especially at roundabouts.

Good luck.

woo :smile: okay yeah sounds good, can you get marked down for hesitating too much on roundabouts?
Reply 14
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Start acting really arrogant about it, trust me that works.

ill keep that in mind.
Reply 15
Original post by Clez
do what i did and pop a tyre driving up a curb 40 mins before the exam and have a mad dash to a garage to get new tyres and drive to the test centre with the instructor at 90mph...

nah, just think its not difficult its like riding a bike, just practice and if youre practiced enough it will just be like having a lesson. dont be afraid to tell your examiner to be quiet too - mine started yapping about her holiday as i was approaching a major intersection and i had to tell her to button it! i passed first time, 6 minors and i think those were because midway through i got bored and started thinking about a guitar riff i was writing before id left

:O
Well done for passing though!
I hope its not too awkward with the examiner haha
Reply 16
Imagine the examiner naked.
:O
Well done for passing though!
I hope its not too awkward with the examiner haha

yeah don't be put off by other road users or the examinor, my first one was miserable and watched me like a hawk (which is the point but..) the second one was lovely! talked, made it more a friendly atmosphere and I felt happier and passed with less tension

my tip is don't concentrate too hard, let it come naturally to you, if you look like you have to think about everything you do then they will pick up on it and assume you aren't worthy to pass
also visualise the scenario of failing, tis not the end of the world (i cried when i did) then my instructor just rebooked the test
more importantly, visualise passing- focus on this one! :biggrin: good luck
Original post by Kevin J
Imagine the examiner naked.

eek both of mine were retirement age, i'd jump out the car
Reply 19
woo :smile: okay yeah sounds good, can you get marked down for hesitating too much on roundabouts?

Roundabouts are notorious for "S" or serious, which are obviously instant failures.

At roundabouts, take your time and remember, the examiner would rather you take your time whilst maintaining safety than give into pressure and potentially cause an accident.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending