The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smack
I don't understand your question. If you're not adding weight every session then it's obviously not linear progression.

was just saying, linear progression must be real hard at your numbers

also i find it hard to imagine you can actually add weight on bench/press each session as if that was the case you'd have insane numbers.
Original post by Gallium
was just saying, linear progression must be real hard at your numbers

Well I've lost weight and do feel it but have pushed heavier weights on everything not that long ago whilst still using linear progression.

also i find it hard to imagine you can actually add weight on bench/press each session as if that was the case you'd have insane numbers.

You can't; I don't know anyone who says that you can keep adding weight each session.
Original post by Smack
Well I've lost weight and do feel it but have pushed heavier weights on everything not that long ago whilst still using linear progression.

You can't; I don't know anyone who says that you can keep adding weight each session.

if that's the case wouldn't it be best to move on to intermediate progression rather then micro-loading and constantly resetting
Original post by Gallium
if that's the case wouldn't it be best to move on to intermediate progression rather then micro-loading and constantly resetting

No because I've lost a fair bit of strength since December.
Reply 1064
What's your best 3x5 on bench / press ever? Also what do you weigh atm?

Just curious because our numbers seem pretty similar on those lifts and I'm thinking of switching to intermediate progression for benching now. No idea how to program for press though...
My best 3x5 was 87.5 just before Christmas. I only weigh about 90kg dry now. :frown:
Bit of a meh session tonight.

Squats:

145 x 5/5/5

Weight wasn't too challenging. Some really good reps, but too wide a stance on last set.

Press:

62.5 x 5/4/2

Meh. Form was all over the place. Going to switch back to a thumbless grip as it better allows me to keep the bar over my forearm.

Back extensions

bodyweight x 10/10/10

Dips:

bodyweight x 5/5

Stretched and home.
Another meh session.

Squats:

147.5 x 5/5/5

Form not brilliant. Foot angles felt weird and asymmetrical. Couldn't keep lower back tight. But weight still went up without excruciating difficulty.

Bench press:

82.5 x 4/3/3 - with very slightly spotted reps to bring up to 5/5/5

Probably didn't have them all in me either so at least it increases the work done.

Deadlifts:

185 x 5

These went up without too much difficulty.

Also, I wore my Ironworks for these and used the hook grip, too. Was actually very surprised how natural deadlifting with a heel feels. Hips can get into a better position, shoulders not in front of the bar and more leg drive. Hook grip also felt more secure than mixed, too. Going to keep deadlifting like this and see what happens.

Romanian Deadlifts:

70 x 5
80 x 5
90 x 5

Easy enough, but stance was probably a little too narrow. Going to start doing these regularly.

Dips:

bodyweight x 5/5/5

First set not too hard, last two a bit harder.
Quite a poor session tonight.

Squats:

150 x 5/5/5

Form worse than last time. Problem is keeping back tight, both lower and upper. I seem to lack the body awareness to actually know what my back is doing, especially when there's a bar on top of it. This means that instead of pushing my hips back and down I slide forward, and on the ascent my hips rise a bit faster than my chest which causes me to do a slight good morning and takes the weight off of the hips and hamstrings, transferring it to the back.

Bar was also sliding down my back a bit too and wasn't keeping chest up and knees out enough.

Press:

62.5 x 5/4/3

Shoulder wasn't feeling good tonight after the squats at all due to the bar dropping down my back slowly, meaning my elbows and shoulders were taking much more of the weight.

Back extensions:

bodyweight x 12/12/12

Went home.

New strategy is to use ramping sets for the squats so that I can get some practice at slightly lighter weights and hopefully nail them with correct form before going onto a heavy set. Everything else will be the same.
Okay session tonight.

Squats:

112.5 x 5
132.5 x 5
152.5 x 5

Form was pretty terrible. I blame the mirror in front being at a very weird angle. Usually the racks are at least somewhat perpendicular to the mirrors but this time the only free rack was at something like 30 degrees to it, really off putting. But weight wasn't bad at all.

Bench press:

80 x 5/5/5

Minor reset. No spotters, no bouncing. Felt surprisingly easy too. Guess the lower squat intensity helps.

Deadlifts:

190 x 5

Harder than last time. Also used Eleiko barbell too and I think I prefer the Werksan ones as they are less whippy, although the knurl isn't as good.

Dips supersetted with chins:

bodyweight x 5/6
ss
bodyweight x 4/1

Dips went okay but chins were disastrous. Didn't have much in me after the deadlifts grip wise which I think negatively affected my chins much more than dips.

Stretched and home.
Okay session tonight.

Squats:

115 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 5

Form was better this time, although I'm not sure how it could have been any worse really. Elbows were dropping slightly causing the weight to be resting on my arms instead of back a little bit and I did feel this later.

Press:

60 x 5/5/5

As previously mentioned, elbow a tiny little bit sore. Didn't wear wraps for these either. I think this is a wrapless PB if I cared. Quite difficult.

Back extensions:

bodyweight x 10/10/10

Stretched and home. Nice and quick. But probably going to drop back down to 135 for squats to really nail them properly.
Okay session tonight.

Squats:

130 x 5/5/5

These were pretty easy weight wise. No belt either. But form still poor. Not sure whether it's because I've done nothing but sit on my arse since the last time I lifted which has made me stiffer or ... well, I don't know. Not sitting back enough and knees also coming in a little bit.

Bench press:

82 x 5/5/5

Not too hard at all. Quite happy with these.

Deadlifts:

195 x 4

Missed the last rep, couldn't get it off the floor. Did these in my deadlift slippers just to see the contrast between them and my Ironworks. Will try 195 again next time but in my Ironworks to get a better picture.

Dips:

bodyweight x 8/8/6

Stretched and home.
Reply 1072
You'll probably get 195x5 anyway next session, but you may attribute this to the ironworks. Unless it just feels monumentally easier.
Original post by SMed
You'll probably get 195x5 anyway next session, but you may attribute this to the ironworks. Unless it just feels monumentally easier.

Well the Ironworks seem to help me a bit in breaking the bar off of the floor, which is where I failed last night on the fifth rep. If I breeze this part next time then it will be my Ironworks that are helping. If I've got it off of the floor then lockouts aren't a problem providing I keep my back flat enough.
nice deads , still going up 5kg per session.....that's impressive
I've done 200 for five before, although granted not with hook grip, so it's not that impressive really.
Quite a poor session tonight.

Squats:

132.5 x 5/5/5

Pretty poor form. Lower back rounding and don't have the kinaesthetic awareness to actually keep it tight, glutes not working, and also knees caving in a bit too. Going to look up mobs and drills to help.

Press:

62 x 5/5/3

Meh, just wasn't feeling these on the last set.

Back extensions:

bodyweight x 10/10/10

Chins:

bodyweight x 3/4/2

Again, meh, just wasn't feeling these.

Stretched and home.
how much do you actually sacrifice form/grind out reps to get a set ( asking as you seem very form conscious)? i'm thinking i need to be more aware of my body while squatting/deadlifting.

glute bridges help with activation i find, then again i don't have that issue my glutes are massive as fuark! , my knees don't buckle but i find it hard to push them out if i do it makes me feel way weaker ;(, apparently sumo squats help with that.
Original post by Gallium
how much do you actually sacrifice form/grind out reps to get a set ( asking as you seem very form conscious)? i'm thinking i need to be more aware of my body while squatting/deadlifting.

I don't know how much I sacrifice form to be honest, it's not really something that you can quantify, and I may not be getting an entirely accurate picture either given that I can only see what I can do in the mirror.

glute bridges help with activation i find

Thanks, I'll try them. Do you do them before you squat or just at random times during the day whenever you have time?
Original post by Smack
I don't know how much I sacrifice form to be honest, it's not really something that you can quantify, and I may not be getting an entirely accurate picture either given that I can only see what I can do in the mirror.

Thanks, I'll try them. Do you do them before you squat or just at random times during the day whenever you have time?

before i squat, also i do this other movement that i seen in a dave tate video.....its like a really wide stance squat type movement.....you go from side to side extending the opposing leg, can feel it in the adductors( you can do them weighted with chains too)......now and then i do some light foam rolling before squats if i feel any tightness.

more then anything for glute activation you just have to be conscious while your squatting. also before you squat do some sumo squats with like 40kilos on the bar....should activate the glutes quite a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest