The Student Room Group

anyone losing weight before uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Clare~Bear
I'm not hugely obese, but I am overweight and was always the fatty at school. Being short makes it worse, if i was 6ft and weighed the same I would probably look just right, but being 5ft2 that mass is over a smaller area, so makes me look fatter :frown:

I don't want to be the same at uni. I don't want to be really skinny, but I just want to be a normal, healthy weight before uni. I've got just over 9 months before uni starts and I want to lose between 1.5 and 2 stones. (Hopefully from my legs/waist/chins, unfortunately losing wright doesn't work that way so my boobs will probably go a bit :frown: )

I walk about 15 miles a week and am a bit muscular already, although most of it's hiding under some fat, so I'm after fat burning exercises to do rather than muscle building.

Is anyone else trying to lose a few pounds before uni?

And what's your goal?

I'm 11 stone 7 and I want to lose 1.5 stones minimum, but no more than 2.

Hey,

I used to dance all day every day and have stopped now so although I am not trying to lose weight - I am trying to maintain weight and tone. I am very muscley and so although people may say I'm skinny I weigh a fair amount so I wouldn't concentrate on weight and BMIs as they aren't always a true representation.

I am a gym instructor and I always tell people if they want to burn fat the best way is to vary between 5 and 10 effort level. So bringing your heart rate up and down. If you're jogging this includes varying the speed of your jog as well as short sprints for 1 minute. You can also slowly build up your speed over 5 minutes then maintain for 15 mins then slow again. Both ways work well - but will still add a little muscle to your body which any exercise will do. If your not into jogging or that then maybe try something like Zumba or body blitz :smile:

Good Luck :smile:

Emma

Posted from TSR Mobile
Glad to see someone wants to loose weight, i am hoping to put weight in time for uni, i am a hard gainer, so protein shakes do help alot
Just keep it up. Do a lot of resistance training with weights, and the 'after burn' affect will ultimately not only burn more calories in general, and while you're resting, but it will also shape you up and make you look a lot more lean. Don't worry about being muscular. Women cannot gain as much muscle mass as men due to the testosterone levels in males (Unless they took some form of steroids/testosterone tablets).

Do a simple three week resistance training, with a two-three days a week cardio if you wanted to throw that in.

MONDAY - Back and Biceps. Four primary back movements, with two being wide grips, and two being close grips. Use the seated row and lat pull downs, they're amazing, and the close grips train your biceps too. Do standard bicep curls with dumbbells, barbells, and maybe something to shape them up such as using the Cables.

TUESDAY - Cardio (optional). Possibly 20-60 minutes of Cardio. Anything to your choosing. I'd suggest running or swimming. Don't do something that will use your muscles that are resting as much.

WEDNESDAY - Shoulders, Traps and Legs. Legs are very important! Do at least 4 sets of these primary muscles. Shoulders should have roughly 4, and 3 for your traps. Do shoulder shrugs (shrugging your shoulders while holding dumbbells). Shoulder press with the machine and/or free weights.

THURSDAY - Cardio (optional). Same as last cardio statement.

FRIDAY - Chest and Triceps. Four movements for your Chest. Prefferably two close grip and two wide grips, so it trains the mass building, and the center of your chest along with the arms. Then roughly three tricep movements; skull crushes, using the cables to move downwards (reverse bicep curl).

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Do roughly 3 sets of 12, 10 and 8.

So it should be as followed:

E.g.

Biceps

Curl 12, rest for 20 seconds, 10, rest for 20 seconds, 8 reps, rest for 20 seconds.
rest for 25-30 seconds.
Barbel curl 12 reps rest for 20 seconds, 10 reps then rest for 20 seconds, 8 reps then rest for 20 seconds.
Curl via Cables; 12 reps, rest 20 seconds, 10 reps rest 20 seconds, 8 reps rest 20 seconds.

Then there is three sets done of 12, 10 and 8 reps. I'd advise doing the primary muscles before doing the secondary, i.e. Back; as they train your biceps as well. Ultimately, after doing four sets for your primary muscle, the three sets for the secondary will be tough, as they've been working extra hard, and thus your body will be burning fuel to keep them going and pumping.

It's important to keep at it, don't rest for minutes at a time, as your heart rate will drop, thus not burning as much calories, and stretching the muscle and body at it's complete limit.

Good luck. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
the reason why I took a gap year
Reply 24

And according to a BMI chart, a man who is about 6ft tall could be 15 stone and still a healthy weight (just), they wouldn't need to be well over 6ft as you say.

Yeah, BMI is rubbish though. I went to a police fitness test, mr muscle shows up, he was stacked. However, due to the weight, technically he failed the polices acceptable BMI test and it had to be sent to their top medical guy for the force to ask whether it was acceptable for him to continue. It was ofc, but that just goes to show that BMI isnt a good indicator.

Body Fat% is a better one.
Reply 25
Original post by infairverona
Hey, what weight were you when you fit into size 8? I'm 5'9, 152lbs and wondering how much to lose t get into size 8s :smile: thanks

I think it's more about where the weight sits - you can be really slim with a washboard stomach but still fail to wear size eight jeans. Maybe measure your thighs, hips and waist and work out the inches you'd need to lose from each to get into the size clothes you want? I'm just going to keep going until I'm finally happy with what I see in the mirror rather than stress about weight :smile:
Reply 26
Another good thing to do is to go to

channel4.com/bodies and log into 'Healthchecker' and then take the 'BMR' test. It will tell you how many calories you burn during the day without any exercise and therefore you can then find out, if you want to loose weight and can't exercise for a few days, how may calories you should have. The best thing to do is... If it says you burn 1550 calories a day, only have 1400 and you will already be losing weight.

But that won't make you lean, you'll have to do exercise and the best thing to do is when you go to the gym just do cardio one day and the nest just do weights. When you do cardio, have green carbs like veg and fruit but when you do weight work outs have starchy wholemeal food. But eat more than the 1400 that you were eating as you need the energy.

Also ALWAYS have recovery food after a workout which means you need something that has protein but also a little bit of sugar in to revamp your body... such as a banana or even a glass of chocolate nesquik and milk...have this between 20mins of your workout session.

GOOD LUCK....Just put your mind to it and you'll do it.
Reply 27
Original post by mcdaniel
Me too! Everyone says you put on weight while you're at university, so I want to start from an okay-ish point, and my fitness is terrible at the moment so that has to change. I've downloaded the "myfitnesspal" app to make calorie counting easier, and my first weigh-in is tomorrow so a bit nervous.
How are you going about it?
I'm 5'9 at the moment, and 142 lbs (most of which sits on my thighs and stomach). My aim is to lose a pound a week until I can fit back into size 8 clothes, which means net-calories of 1360 a day according to the app.

Thanks so much for mentioning myfitnesspal - downloaded and already love it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could you give me some of your lost weight?
Reply 29
Original post by Tuerin
Could you give me some of your lost weight?

I'd gladly give you some of my flab.
Reply 30
Original post by Himynameskiefer

Good luck. :smile:

Ta.

My mum recieved dumb bells for xmas. They're all quite light, but am i best off using the light ones for quite a few reps, rather than using the heavier ones just a few times, if it's fat i'm getting rid of and not building muscle?
Original post by Kerny
11 stone 7 at 5'2 is not good. Aim to lose at least 2 stone. Especially because it is easy to put on weight at uni.

Honestly, i swear these are the types of comments that make people turn anorexic.
Reply 32
Original post by Canthinkofaname

Honestly, i swear these are the types of comments that make people turn anorexic.

Precisely, I'm not going to go starve myself, but I'm aware that I am overweight and am doing something about it. Like I said, it's not like I'm twice the weight I should be, I only need to lose a couple of stone. I was after help, support and advice, not harsh criticsim like what Kerny gave me.
Ta.

My mum recieved dumb bells for xmas. They're all quite light, but am i best off using the light ones for quite a few reps, rather than using the heavier ones just a few times, if it's fat i'm getting rid of and not building muscle?

Yes, but what you need to realize is that you must stretch your muscle, so it needs to recover. Stretching it and working it to a nice heavy amount will then make your muscle constantly work for up to 48 hours after a workout, therefore burning calories over those two days. Low weight won't do that, and since you're female, you don't produce testosterone like a male, therefore you won't get bulked and massive like a guy will, you'll just have toned arms, legs, chest, and hardly any fat.
I'm aiming to get down to about 98lbs before uni. Shouldn't take too long, about 10lbs to lose.
Reply 35
Original post by Canthinkofaname

Seriously? The OP is decently overweight for her height, and should lose a fair amount to get to a healthy weight. It is not easy but is definitely worth it.
I also want to lose weight before uni. Last year I went to a dietist and lost about 8kg, but then I went abroad for a work experience and gained some and then during the summer holidays (especially at the time my dad passed away) I really didn't pay attention to my diet anymore.
But I also thought that diet wasn't really doing anything for me...

My sister has now signed up for Weightwatchers and so far she's not complaining, so I think I might tag along with her.

I think I'm kind of in the same situation as you, OP, I've also always been (nearly) overweight (the last 4 years I've become actually overweight), so I get the way you feel.

Good luck! I really hope you do succeed! (:
Reply 37
I'm 122 KG and around 6.3 ft. I'm losing weight as well for the laydies :smile:
Reply 38
I've already lost 3lbs since I made this thread, which is about the rate at which I need to lose weight.

Original post by Kerny
Seriously? The OP is decently overweight for her height, and should lose a fair amount to get to a healthy weight. It is not easy but is definitely worth it.

I've worked out my hip to waist ratio, which is about 0.8, which is deemed 'good'. Which shows I can't be that unhealthy, and I have a fair amount of muscle.

Original post by oii
I'm 122 KG and around 6.3 ft. I'm losing weight as well for the laydies :smile:

Good luck.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending