The Student Room Group

If I'm not approved for roaccutane what other ways are there to get rid of my acne?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Enigma55
Has anyone tried doxycycline? That worked really well for me, but a few days after completing my course the acne was back (this happened 3 times).

Im at a loss as to what to try next as roaccutane is a no go for me.

That's the annoying thing with tetracycline antibiotics they're similar to benzoyl peroxide where they work when you're on them but as soon as you're off A BAM it's back again :/ have you tried skinoren, it contains azelaic acid which is sometimes more effective in reducing the acne even after you've come off the course.
Reply 21
Go for a swim in the dead sea. 'tworks.
Reply 22
Original post by moya
Did you true using Panoxyl properly? So something like this:

Get an anti bacterial soap wash (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quinoderm-2808384-Face-Wash-150ml/dp/B000KHPG7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358947498&sr=8-1). Get the strongest Panoxyl you can buy (10%, or the prescription one that also has something else in (duac or something).

Use the wash in the morning. Massage, leave it in for a few mins, gently wash it off and PAT dry very carefully. Then leave your face to dry for 10 mins. Then apply as much Panoxyl you can (it says on my duac to use about 2cm for the whole face) but make sure it all rubs in. Do the same at night.

It's basically the instructions for Regimen (http://www.acne.org/regimen.html#regimen_howto) without the moisturizer.

Yep I did for 3 years I used it properly. I was on the strongest form of Panoxyl you could get and you weren't supposed to layer the stuff on only put a tiny bit on the affected areas as if you put it on the areas that weren't affected they can develop spots, the same with TCP if you put it it on an area that isn't affected more will appear.

Duac done nout for me, it was beyond rubbish and everything just flarred up even more than before due to the lack of effective treatment :/
Reply 23
Original post by s.aley
Go for a swim in the dead sea. 'tworks.

Unfortunately I do not have the money or the ability to travel to the dead sea XD
Reply 24
Original post by CarryOn123
I think I've tried tazarotene, it's market name is Zorac isn't it?

Yeah. No luck?
Reply 25
That's the annoying thing with tetracycline antibiotics they're similar to benzoyl peroxide where they work when you're on them but as soon as you're off A BAM it's back again :/ have you tried skinoren, it contains azelaic acid which is sometimes more effective in reducing the acne even after you've come off the course.

No I haven't I'll look into it, thanks. Do you think that means my acne is hormonal if the anti-biotics make it go away completely and then when I stop it's back?
Reply 26
Yep I did for 3 years I used it properly. I was on the strongest form of Panoxyl you could get and you weren't supposed to layer the stuff on only put a tiny bit on the affected areas as if you put it on the areas that weren't affected they can develop spots, the same with TCP if you put it it on an area that isn't affected more will appear.

Duac done nout for me, it was beyond rubbish and everything just flarred up even more than before due to the lack of effective treatment :/

Well apparently it's actually better to use the lowest strength (2.5%, wikipedia says they are all the same according to tests) and use a LOT of it (it's cheap anyway).
Reply 27
Original post by moya
Well apparently it's actually better to use the lowest strength (2.5%, wikipedia says they are all the same according to tests) and use a LOT of it (it's cheap anyway).

Still didn't work for me no matter what strength I used and you can't trust everything you see on wikipedia, it's not always correct
Reply 28
No I haven't I'll look into it, thanks. Do you think that means my acne is hormonal if the anti-biotics make it go away completely and then when I stop it's back?

Most likely but I'm not an expert so don't take my word for definite :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Daniel_R
Yeah. No luck?

Nopes xD
A mixture of petrol and a thickening agent such as gelatine, apply this evenly over your face then sit near a naked flame to open up your pores. This concoction is searingly effective :smile:
Reply 31
Nopes xD

Try witch hazel, not that crap from chemist laced with alcohol , google organic witch hazel.
Reply 32
Most likely but I'm not an expert so don't take my word for definite :smile:

I've definately noticed that when I'm stressed my acne is worse than usual so it could potentially be hormonal. Apparently some people have gluten and/or diary allergies which can cause acne flare ups. I'm so desperate think I might give the gluten free diet a go.

I did try a dairy free diet and it definatley had an effect. Not sure how I'd manage a few months without wheat though :O
Reply 33
Try witch hazel, not that crap from chemist laced with alcohol , google organic witch hazel.

I've tried witch hazel products they done nout which is why I went onto chemist products
Reply 34
I've definately noticed that when I'm stressed my acne is worse than usual so it could potentially be hormonal. Apparently some people have gluten and/or diary allergies which can cause acne flare ups. I'm so desperate think I might give the gluten free diet a go.

I did try a dairy free diet and it definatley had an effect. Not sure how I'd manage a few months without wheat though :O

Don't try the gluten/ dairy free diet without consulting your doctor to check whether your body can handle it. I know you said the dairy free diet had an effect on your acne but if you're doing it cold chicken/ without knowing if you're body can definitely handle it you could be doing more harm than good even if you can't see/ feel the harm right now
Reply 35
You have a good reason for the roaccutane then :smile:
Reply 36
Skinoren and stop using make up/foundation
Reply 37
You have a good reason for the roaccutane then :smile:

I probably do don't I? :P I just hope I'm approved for it even if I am crapping myself about it XD
Reply 38
Original post by 2ndClass
Skinoren and stop using make up/foundation

Skinoren didn't work that well for me and I hardly ever wear any make-up/ foundation, I just wear a moistuiser during the day and let everyone look else see my acne, it's not my fault if they can't handle how good looking I am ;D
I only wear foundation to very special occasions or any job interviews I might have (which is only like every 2/3 months) plus I clean my skin properly if I do wear make-up :smile:
Reply 39
I probably do don't I? :P I just hope I'm approved for it even if I am crapping myself about it XD

lymacycline dried the skin on my hand a bit dry lol so i went off it after a week, but i tried everything before that and they were all crap and did nothing :frown:.
I went to the doctors and if you make yourself cry and say you cant leave the house and its depressing you he/she will refer you to a derm :biggrin:.
It sounds a bit extreme but it's worth it :biggrin:.
isotretinoin WILL clear you up in a month :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest