The Student Room Group

If I'm not approved for roaccutane what other ways are there to get rid of my acne?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by CarryOn123
Yep and it done nout, well apart from the obvious of reducing my period pains and making them regular but it also blew me up to a ridiculous weight so I think if I go back on I'll try another brand like yasmin or something as for roaccutane they've advised me going on 2 contraceptives as I'm 'sexually active' as well, the joy -.-

Which pill did you try?
Reply 41
Original post by syrettd
Which pill did you try?

I was put on microgynon but I literally only just found out from another doctor a week ago that worsens acne and causes extreme weight increase out of all the pills available -.-
I'm going to try yasmin now though :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by bad8oy
lymacycline dried the skin on my hand a bit dry lol so i went off it after a week, but i tried everything before that and they were all crap and did nothing :frown:.
I went to the doctors and if you make yourself cry and say you cant leave the house and its depressing you he/she will refer you to a derm :biggrin:.
It sounds a bit extreme but it's worth it :biggrin:.
isotretinoin WILL clear you up in a month :smile:.

Make yourself cry? :/

I've already been referred and I've also been to the hospital who have approved me so far I just need a blood test to say I'm in the clear, to have lost another half a stone and be on the pill. I've already lost a stone and a bit since September so I'm sure I can handle that part :smile:
Reply 43
I was put on microgynon but I literally only just found out from another doctor a week ago that worsens acne and causes extreme weight increase out of all the pills available -.-
I'm going to try yasmin now though :smile:

Yeah, that was my second pill and while I loved the effects it had on my periods, weight gain and spots was ridiculous. I had terrible acne until my doctor gave me my first pill, the dianette. I had co-cyprindiol, and I went back on it this week after several years because I've started getting acne again. My doctor says this is commonly given to women to stop acne. I don't know much about yasmin.
Reply 44
Original post by syrettd
Yeah, that was my second pill and while I loved the effects it had on my periods, weight gain and spots was ridiculous. I had terrible acne until my doctor gave me my first pill, the dianette. I had co-cyprindiol, and I went back on it this week after several years because I've started getting acne again. My doctor says this is commonly given to women to stop acne. I don't know much about yasmin.

Ahhh yeah the period side effects were amazing but after 2-ish years on it I had gained about 3 stone in weight by the time I'd been taken off :/
Ahhh I tried dianette as well, they gave me migraines which I've never ever experienced before in my life nor have I since coming off that one.

Yasmin is a slightly newer pill that was developed in the States (originally for acne) as an alternative to those who reacted against pills with a similar strength of dianette :smile: I've done a hell of a lot of research into everything pill/ acne related XD
Reply 45
Ahhh yeah the period side effects were amazing but after 2-ish years on it I had gained about 3 stone in weight by the time I'd been taken off :/
Ahhh I tried dianette as well, they gave me migraines which I've never ever experienced before in my life nor have I since coming off that one.

Yasmin is a slightly newer pill that was developed in the States (originally for acne) as an alternative to those who reacted against pills with a similar strength of dianette :smile: I've done a hell of a lot of research into everything pill/ acne related XD

Ah cool, what's it like in terms of depression because the dianette gives me that (I'm planning to come back off the dianette as soon as my acne goes to minimise the risks). Is it still a side effect like for all the other pills?
Reply 46
Make yourself cry? :/

I've already been referred and I've also been to the hospital who have approved me so far I just need a blood test to say I'm in the clear, to have lost another half a stone and be on the pill. I've already lost a stone and a bit since September so I'm sure I can handle that part :smile:

oh right :tongue:, i thought you hadnt been referred yet aha. That's what i had to do to get referreed by my GP. He just would not refer me untill then lol, he's massively against the drug :frown:.
You should be on it soon then :smile: stock up on vaseline your lips will get dry :tongue: and it brought my cholesterol levels a bit high. I got angry a bit more easily then before as well lol but it wasn't that bad and back pains but they were probably just because i was at gym whilst on it.
Also ask your dermatologist about the initial breakout and if you can take antibiotics with the drug for the first couple of months and if he can ease you onto higher dosages. Better to be on it for longer and not have the breakout in my opinion.
Definitely worth it in the end and good luck :smile: Hope your skin clears up...i know how crap it can make you feel!!
Reply 47
Original post by syrettd
Ah cool, what's it like in terms of depression because the dianette gives me that (I'm planning to come back off the dianette as soon as my acne goes to minimise the risks). Is it still a side effect like for all the other pills?

I didn't experience any depression on dianette so I can't say tbh. I haven't started yasmin yet I've got another week till I'm due on but I'll let you know the side effects when I am :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by bad8oy
oh right :tongue:, i thought you hadnt been referred yet aha. That's what i had to do to get referreed by my GP. He just would not refer me untill then lol, he's massively against the drug :frown:.
You should be on it soon then :smile: stock up on vaseline your lips will get dry :tongue: and it brought my cholesterol levels a bit high. I got angry a bit more easily then before as well lol but it wasn't that bad and back pains but they were probably just because i was at gym whilst on it.
Also ask your dermatologist about the initial breakout and if you can take antibiotics with the drug for the first couple of months and if he can ease you onto higher dosages. Better to be on it for longer and not have the breakout in my opinion.
Definitely worth it in the end and good luck :smile: Hope your skin clears up...i know how crap it can make you feel!!

Ahah noo I've been referred and seen a doctor at the hospital but I'm worried I won't be approved as I've had problems with dianette and lymecycline but in all fairness that might've been due to the change in brand. I can understand why he'd be against it as it is a wonder drug so they don't know if any side effects are a result of the drug or the person's personality.

I'm not going to use vaseline I'm going to use another product that my brother used which is stronger and more effective than vaseline :smile:

I'm as prepared for the side effects as I can be, I've already bought two hot water bottles from Primark earlier (they were £2 each ;D) so if any pains get two much I have a hot water bottle for each area XD my cholesterol levels are really low anyway so if they increase slightly I don't think it would be too much of an issue, I'll just make sure I switch to flora butter instead of I can't believe it's not butter :smile:

I know all about the initial breakouts don't worry and I have my brother's personal experience to help me with it all and I remember watching him go through it and he remembers the drug he was on to control the initial breakout so I can talk about it with my doctor to see if it would work for me as well :smile:

Thank you very much! I already feel happier at the potential of going on it which is helping me to ignore the acne on my face ^^
Ahah noo I've been referred and seen a doctor at the hospital but I'm worried I won't be approved as I've had problems with dianette and lymecycline but in all fairness that might've been due to the change in brand. I can understand why he'd be against it as it is a wonder drug so they don't know if any side effects are a result of the drug or the person's personality.

I'm not going to use vaseline I'm going to use another product that my brother used which is stronger and more effective than vaseline :smile:

I'm as prepared for the side effects as I can be, I've already bought two hot water bottles from Primark earlier (they were £2 each ;D) so if any pains get two much I have a hot water bottle for each area XD my cholesterol levels are really low anyway so if they increase slightly I don't think it would be too much of an issue, I'll just make sure I switch to flora butter instead of I can't believe it's not butter :smile:

I know all about the initial breakouts don't worry and I have my brother's personal experience to help me with it all and I remember watching him go through it and he remembers the drug he was on to control the initial breakout so I can talk about it with my doctor to see if it would work for me as well :smile:

Thank you very much! I already feel happier at the potential of going on it which is helping me to ignore the acne on my face ^^

How bad is your acne and have you tried messing with your diet? Some people are seriously prone to getting spots when they eat certain foods. Wheat / Dairy are the usual killers. Red meat also isn't great. My cousin had the worst acne at 16 and tried every antibiotic with little effect. Then he cut out all forms of wheat and was clear within 2 weeks.

Quinoderm cream also worked a treat on my skin for the odd spot. Very drying though and will make your skin go red.
Reply 50
Original post by revisionnightmare
How bad is your acne and have you tried messing with your diet? Some people are seriously prone to getting spots when they eat certain foods. Wheat / Dairy are the usual killers. Red meat also isn't great. My cousin had the worst acne at 16 and tried every antibiotic with little effect. Then he cut out all forms of wheat and was clear within 2 weeks.

Quinoderm cream also worked a treat on my skin for the odd spot. Very drying though and will make your skin go red.

It's fairly bad but mine is mostly on my back and chest, it's not too bad/ that visible on my face.

Yep, I've messed with my diet. I've done a diet (which was being assessed by a hospital) where I basically ate like a vegan for 2/3 weeks then slowly introduced different foods into my diet so after 4th week I introduced wheat, 6th week dairy, 8th week chicken, the 10th week red meats then 12th week sweets such as chocolate and crisps (which I don't eat much anyway) as well as tea but there wasn't really any effect apart from me loosing a stone in weight.

I've tried Quinoderm cream, like you said it helps the occasional spot but most of mine don't develop yellow heads, my acne is nodular and cystic acne.
Reply 51
Original post by Bill_Gates
tropical creams. Ive been on accutane, but panoxyl works best for me personally.

panoxyl was the best product ive ever used however its been discontinued for almost a year now can i ask what you have been using since thats happen and did u use the cream or gel soz kinda a random late responce lol

Quick Reply

Latest