The Student Room Group

Do GCSE grades really matter?

Title is self-explanatory. I'm studying a BTEC in ICT, although I'm fully aware it isn't the same as A-levels but nothing really appealed to me but ICT. Anyway, i did terrible in my GCSEs are school due to being, putting it blunty, an idiot. I got Es and Fs in maths and english but I'm resitting them now. My university offers are asking for a C or above in both subjects, but I'm **** scared i won't get my maths, but english is a definite yes. I'll also fully attain my UCAS points, but like i say I'm worried i won't get the grade. So give me the cold hard truth, do Universities sometimes overlook GCSES?

Thanks
What do you mean "overlook the truth" ? As for your question yes the gcse are there for entry to A-Level, from there you have to get the entry requirements for your uni course... However think of it this way, if you've applied for that same course there are guaranteed people who are similar or better grades than you mate because in order for them to apply they would have required the right grades..

An example of this could be that, say I'm taking optometry. I've got the right grades at a level but my gcses might be a bit lower than somebody else. Hopefully I've made it clear, this is what my teacher told me anyway. Good luck with your maths
Reply 2
Original post by Midnight1811
What do you mean "overlook the truth" ? As for your question yes the gcse are there for entry to A-Level, from there you have to get the entry requirements for your uni course... However think of it this way, if you've applied for that same course there are guaranteed people who are similar or better grades than you mate because in order for them to apply they would have required the right grades..

An example of this could be that, say I'm taking optometry. I've got the right grades at a level but my gcses might be a bit lower than somebody else. Hopefully I've made it clear, this is what my teacher told me anyway. Good luck with your maths

I should've been more clear. Like, making an exception if you meet everything else besides that. I'm just wondering because they did the same for a friend of mine. Thanks for your reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending